Newbie with first boat

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Great advice guys! Where do you all look for used outboards? Craigslist?

G

searider, for me it was trial and error. Tried everyone to see which one i could plane easier on. Exit, craigslist is what i used. I also used ebay but that site is over priced now. Sometimes u can convince the guy to take it off ebay for cash to avoid ebay and paypal fees. Remeber, there is a reason someone is selling an outboard. If they are really antzy to sell then be careful. Always look arounf the persons property on how they maintain it. This will give you an idea on how well they maintained the outboard. I drove about 300 miles each way to buy my merc 15. Drove from NY to maryland. His story was he needed money for his wedding (dont know how far 1350 got him).

G

Looks pretty good. What year? Whats the serial? Bottom plug looks rusted i would change plugs. Did you run it in a barrel or earmuffs? Open up the bottom screw in the gearcase neae prop and make sure no milky substance is not coming out. Knowing what i know now these would be my must do's.
Check compression, spark and fuel lines, replace plugs, gearcase oil,Probably change the impeller also. That about it

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are going to be a lot happier! I might suggest flipping those launching wheels to the outside. Lot more stable with that bigger motor.

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Looks pretty good. What year? Whats the serial? Bottom plug looks rusted i would change plugs. Did you run it in a barrel or earmuffs? Open up the bottom screw in the gearcase neae prop and make sure no milky substance is not coming out. Knowing what i know now these would be my must do's.
Check compression, spark and fuel lines, replace plugs, gearcase oil,Probably change the impeller also. That about it

Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking into all that. Would you also seafoam it?

It's a 2006 15MHS

Chopperbill can't flip the wheels because the boat gets in the way

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Got the same boat and the same launching wheel. They are set wider than yours. Here's a pic with my old motor

Attachments

• photo223402.jpg
    photo223402.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Got the same boat and the same launching wheel. They are set wider than yours. Here's a pic with my old motor

Yours are set up slightly closer in to give you enough clearance. I put mines as close as possible to the edge because I knew I was getting lifters installed too. So I have a clearance issue.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Yours are set up slightly closer in to give you enough clearance. I put mines as close as possible to the edge because I knew I was getting lifters installed too. So I have a clearance issue.

Yeah mine are about half inch from the transom molding. But here is a tip that will give you more room and get the wheels more out of the way. I use pins with the square fastening clip to hold in the up and down position. The pin in the up position I wrap the clip around the upright. I also use 1/4" pins for easier placement when putting them down in the water. Here's your pictures! One picture shows one wheel with the pin through the whole assembly and the other my way.

Attachments

• photo223424.jpg
    photo223424.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo223425.jpg
    photo223425.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah mine are about half inch from the transom molding. But here is a tip that will give you more room and get the wheels more out of the way. I use pins with the square fastening clip to hold in the up and down position. The pin in the up position I wrap the clip around the upright. I also use 1/4" pins for easier placement when putting them down in the water. Here's your pictures! One picture shows one wheel with the pin through the whole assembly and the other my way.

Genius! Where can I get that? Does it bounce a lot?

By the way, I discovered the outboard is not pissing. Any suggestions on what I should use as a guide for changing the impeller? I've watched some youtube videos but the outboards are different models. I know its a similar process but as a newb with a less than stellar hands on skill set, I'd appreciate any guidance you folks can give me.

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
pins with square retainers are at most farm stores and Harbor Frieght. Does not bounce at all and is actually quieter and doesn't not rattle like mine did in the up position. My brand new Suzuki did not **** when I first started it up on my stand. It has a flush out plug that I removed and stuck a water hose in it and primed it. Worked until one time I took it out to the lake and it quit pissing again. Might have pissed if I gave it more throttle but was spooked and shut it down. Took out plug and used my hand and scooped water into it and it worked. That was last year and it ain't quit pissing yet. Showed it who was boss.

G

Before you take anything apart, trying blowing canned air into the **** hole to clear it up. Make sure you dont run it without it pissing. 2006 yama 2 stroke!! U hit the jackpot.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Almost ten years old, may need an impeller. Haven't done one but taking off the lower unit doesn't look like rocket science. Should be lots of help on Google.

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Before you take anything apart, trying blowing canned air into the **** hole to clear it up. Make sure you dont run it without it pissing. 2006 yama 2 stroke!! U hit the jackpot.

Yea I thought I hit the jackpot too! It was meant to be, the guy was looking for my exact motor for a canoe and had the yamaha 15 to trade. Worked out perfectly.

Like Chopperbill said, its 10 years old so id probably change impeller regardless. Already seen a bunch of Vids and ordered the parts. I think I can do it. Parts were only 35 bucks.

I'll try the air thing too! Assuming it doesn't pee after impeller replacement.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Man i am so glad i trailer my boat now. In and out of the water within 5-7 minutes. Longest part is waiting for room to dock my boat so i can run and get the car. the hard part is backing up the light trailer especially when its a 2 car ramp . i suck so bad people probably think i am an idiot. snaking my way down the ramp lol. looks easy when other people do it.

Think about this while your backing up with a trailer.The direction the Bottom of your steering wheel moves is the direction the trailer will go.If you have a pickup put down the tailgate, turn around and look at the direction the rear of the boat is going.If you can't see the rear of the boat look for something that will help you even if it's just the top of the motor.Normally you would just want to use your side mirrors but however you do it you want to be able to see the direction the rear of the trailer is going.If you need to pull forward to make a correction don't just pull straight ahead unless you intend to back straight up to get where you need to be. If you need to move everything over do it moving forward in such a way that you'll then be able to back straight up. To do that do this: Let's say you need to move everything over to the left to be able to back straight up. You will pull forward to do this by first steering to the left to where you need to be to back straight down then when the trailer moves over to that spot you steer back to the right to straighten the rear of the trailer,when that is straight turn left again a little then straight a little to get yourself lined up. If you don't get it lined up perfect it's OK just get it close and make sure the rear of the trailer is heading in the direction that you need to go so you only have make a small correction going back.

It's really the same going back.You turn the bottom of the steering wheel the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go.Then when you get to that spot you have to turn back the other way to move the the truck over then turn the other way if need be to straighten everything out. You need to be thinking about steering the rear of the trailer while backing rather than your pickup and making small smooth corrections.If you get yourself out of position by over correction to much stop and move yourself over going forward like just described. I hope this is clear enough to help you out.It's coming from someone who was a truck driver for 30 years.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Yea I thought I hit the jackpot too! It was meant to be, the guy was looking for my exact motor for a canoe and had the yamaha 15 to trade. Worked out perfectly.

Like Chopperbill said, its 10 years old so id probably change impeller regardless. Already seen a bunch of Vids and ordered the parts. I think I can do it. Parts were only 35 bucks.

I'll try the air thing too! Assuming it doesn't pee after impeller replacement.

I would say get a factory service manual before you start. I just did mine and it was the first time I changed one,really did the whole water pump,and wouldn't want to have done it without a service manual.

I used a thin electrical wire,not bare wire,that fit the hole perfect and that did the trick. Of course I had already rebuilt my water pump and water was coming out just not as strong as it should...going good now.

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Changed the impeller! Did it myself after watching 5 different YouTube Vids. It had no fins and was completely dry rotted onto the housing. What a mission!

Took the boat out to Florida Bay yesterday. I love the way the boat is moving! I just wish I could plane at a slower speed. Seems to be planing around 10 mph (estimated with my button speedometer).

My biggest problems seem to be occurring with the attawood 3 gallon fuel tank. It leaks a little and also the motor shut off at one point while it was low on fuel. Can anyone recommend me a good 6 gallon fuel tank?

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Mine might be an attwood too.I bought a vented cap and put a different bulb on my fuel hose and I've never had a problem with it.