Newbie with first boat

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

As the title states, I'm a new boat owner. Just got a Saturn SD365. I bought an intex mariner 4 but didn't feel safe on it, though in hindsight I may not have inflated it all the way to 3psi. I returned the mariner 4 and got the Saturn now. The motor I have is a tohatsu 3.5 hp 4 stroke (brand new). I realize my motor is probably under powered for my boat and I plan to eventually get a 9.8 but right now I'm taking the boat in my Honda civic so until I get a trailer space is an issue, not to mention the weight.

Any suggestions for a rook? Going to do a maiden voyage next week. Hopefully it will go well.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Going from a Intex Mariner to a Saturn is like going from a VW Beatle to a Subaru 4 wheel drive. You will see that are completely different worlds once you have the feel riding a Saturn. With a Tohatsu 3.5 HP just expect fast displacement speeds at around 5 knots max at wot. Ideal for that sib would be anything over a 9.8, a 10 HP or larger would be ideal.

Will depend if engine will be placed and removed after boating or will live sitting on transom once a proper tariler is provided. If so, why don't you go straight for a 15 HP, that's if budget allows. Or second hand mint cond 2 strokes 15-18 HP engines which weights much less than 4 strokes counterparts.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome to Iboats,

Going from a Intex Mariner to a Saturn is like going from a VW Beatle to a Subaru 4 wheel drive. You will see that are completely different worlds once you have the feel riding a Saturn. With a Tohatsu 3.5 HP just expect fast displacement speeds at around 5 knots max at wot. Ideal for that sib would be anything over a 9.8, a 10 HP or larger would be ideal.

Will depend if engine will be placed and removed after boating or will live sitting on transom once a proper tariler is provided. If so, why don't you go straight for a 15 HP, that's if budget allows. Or second hand mint cond 2 strokes 15-18 HP engines which weights much less than 4 strokes counterparts.

Happy Boating

Thanks for the warm welcome Sea Rider!

Yea I would ideally prefer 15hp. I'm just worried about weight issues since I don't have the space in the garage for the boat inflated. I was thinking of getting a folding trailer from HF and that way I can have the benefit of trailering without taking up the whole garage. I'll have to look into 2 strokes for sure if I go higher than 10hp. Just not sure how much a pain the mixing is. Plus I worry about getting a bad used motor since I don't know much about outboard motors. I am learning though! Maybe within a year I'll know enough to feel comfortable getting a used motor.

pgnyc

Seaman
Hello, so i have too a saturn SD 365 ( ok it's the brother azzuro mare) and tohatsu 9.8.

Everything depend on your age !!!
I am half century old with a back disc pb and i can
Take the motor from car to boat or motor holder.
Just need to be very close.
I use a moving 'cart' to move the boat from car or my garage .

Alone , i go up to 13 nm/h on flat sea water (did it yesterday , i boat around La Guarda airport nyc.
If you put around 600Lbs forget going to plane..

Enjoy

Pascal

G

Hello, so i have too a saturn SD 365 ( ok it's the brother azzuro mare) and tohatsu 9.8.

Everything depend on your age !!!
I am half century old with a back disc pb and i can
Take the motor from car to boat or motor holder.
Just need to be very close.
I use a moving 'cart' to move the boat from car or my garage .

Alone , i go up to 13 nm/h on flat sea water (did it yesterday , i boat around La Guarda airport nyc.
If you put around 600Lbs forget going to plane..

Enjoy

Pascal

Pascal! good to hear you still follow the forum. Have you tried fishing?

G

Late 90's johnson 15hp 2stroke weights about 80 lbs very close to the tohatsu 9.8 weight with a lot more power. Good luck finding one in good condition. A brand new suzuki 20hp 4strokr weights 96lbs. My 15hp mercury 4stroke weights 110

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the new 20HP Suzuki. Best part is they are fuel injected. One pull starts are the normal. Computer self adjusts for altitude change. Weighs the same as the 15HP, lightest in its class, for about $200 more. 70 years old this year and I can man handle it on and off the transom, but don't move it far. 23-25 mph is plenty fast enough for me.

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Got the new 20HP Suzuki. Best part is they are fuel injected. One pull starts are the normal. Computer self adjusts for altitude change. Weighs the same as the 15HP, lightest in its class, for about $200 more. 70 years old this year and I can man handle it on and off the transom, but don't move it far. 23-25 mph is plenty fast enough for me.

Sounds like I should look into those suzukis. I'll check em out

pgnyc

Seaman
Pascal! good to hear you still follow the forum. Have you tried fishing?

hi, not yet !
my problem is i have time to boat ( free of kids from 9am to 3pm , so that makes 10h30 am to 1h15 pm on the water ) but not enough if i wanted to fish.
Would need to ask wife for day of !!!!!!!! like i did with you all .

Pascal

pgnyc

Seaman
Sounds like I should look into those suzukis. I'll check em out

i am looking into it also , but will see next year, and i would take with electric start and tilt .
i had some pb to restart mine after some stalling at 'cold' and i was tired to pull the string, but everything was new to me , now i know how to do it.
But it is annoying , when you leave a beach and you cannot start the motor right away .

Pascal

G

Man i am so glad i trailer my boat now. In and out of the water within 5-7 minutes. Longest part is waiting for room to dock my boat so i can run and get the car. the hard part is backing up the light trailer especially when its a 2 car ramp . i suck so bad people probably think i am an idiot. snaking my way down the ramp lol. looks easy when other people do it.

Last edited:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Weimed, you might want to put a pvc pole or two on the trailer to help watch it as you back. I put two on a trailer so I could see where it was in the mirrors when backing, as you could not see the trailer until it got far out of line. By being able to see the position of the trailer, it is easy to run straight down a ramp.

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
By the way, does anyone have any advice to make it go faster? I know a bigger motor would help. I also ordered some maxi lifters to put on as well. Any other tips? I won't be able to upgrade the outboard any time soon, it'll be at least a year.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Can you plane that sib lightly loaded with you alone ? If not will stay at that speed. Sib has huge hull drag to overcome fast with a 3.5 HP engine. Just good for fast displacement non planing speeds.

Happy Boating

G

Nice looking boat and outboard. Unfortunatly that outboard is only good as a backup or small lake use.the only way to " go faster" is to have more power. That new ob must of cost close to or over 1k. U can get your self a mean 9.8 almost new for that price. Only issue is as you said you are new to this type of boating. I picked up my 2006 merc 15 for 1350. Me personally, i would sell that 3.5 or trade it in and get something with more power. I am sorry if i sound rude but if your dead set on getting some respectable speed then thats what you should do. I had a 6hp that i sold and did the same

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Weimed, do not worry about offending mate. Advice is simply advice.

I appreciate what you and Sea Rider have said. My only option now is to up the power. Since its difficult for me to carry anything over 80 pounds I'm limited to the following options:

1. 9.8 hp Tohatsu 4-stroke
2. 9.9 to 15 hp 2-Stroke

I'm going to aim to get a used 15hp 2 stroke. I need to save about 700 bucks and sell my motor to get one unless I get a good bargain at around 1300. This might take a bit since I have other priorities for now.

I'm curious about something else, is it possible to get a bimini top that will fit in the trunk of my honda civic sedan?

Also, how do I adjust and get the trim on my outboard just right? I have no experience :(

Last edited:
G

how do I adjust and get the trim on my outboard just right? Honestly trial and error, i think the default is the second hole from the bottom. finding a 9.9/15hp 2stroke in good condition is very unlikely or will be priced high. Do not go for anything under year 2000 because its simply to old. you can pick up a 9.8/9.9 for 1k easy. Just wait and don't on the first deal you see. I would also highly recommend posting what you find here asking for advice before you buy it.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try to find a motor which was used in fresh water. The 9.9 & 15 HP motors have been very popular fresh water fishing motors.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Picking the right trim is not done under trial and error specially if having fixed trim positions as of portable engines. Float boat alone with engine, trim to to a hole to achieve engine siiting perpendicular and brand sticker parallel to water level.

Best Trim Position.JPG

When on plane anticav plate and boat should ride near parallel to water level provided it's properly deck balanced. If need to move trim to any other position than ideal as of pic, engine is not seated at the sweet transom height but that's another picky story to deal with. If wanting to get the max out of that 365 try to get a second hand 2 stroke Tohatsu 18 HP engine, will fly that boat.

Happy Boating