First Trip in Florida on Doctors Lake / ST Johns river

G

had some time to edit entire footage. had no live bait. Let me know if you have any questions. (Last trip from Vilano beach inlet, ST Augustine) is coming up tonight

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good to see you out. The first fish is a toad fish with dangerous spines which is a common trash catch. The next looks like an immature member of the grouper family perhaps.

You will find reds around oysters and over shallow water and along that jetty. They like shrimp, cut mullet, and crabs as well as artificials. Just a matter of time until you hit paydirt.

G

a
Good to see you out. The first fish is a toad fish with dangerous spines which is a common trash catch. The next looks like an immature member of the grouper family perhaps.

You will find reds around oysters and over shallow water and along that jetty. They like shrimp, cut mullet, and crabs as well as artificials. Just a matter of time until you hit paydirt.

paydirt? meaning i will pay for hitting the dirt with soft bottom? my outboard skeg will hit dirt first to warn me. If a tube hits it first then i am done. I don't know how my boat will even hold up on a trailer with blown tube. I see a lot of boats did not even go for the jetty, they went straight into the intercoastal or ICW north of velano boat ramp

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Paydirt is when you start pulling in the fish.

The fish follow the bait, so when the shrimp, mullet and such arrive, the bite is on. It will start in the saltwater closest to the ocean and then move inland. When the water cools in the fall, many will head for the brackish water, probably in places like the lake you tried out. The fresh water species should be eating already.

Here in Georgia we are waiting for the shrimp which come in say June or July.

I would notice where the other boats headed and follow them. That should put you in the general area for action.

You should have had reds in the grass for the last month or so. Flounder should be there already. Porpoises are their worst enemy to reds, so they try to avoid areas where they can get eaten. It is impressive to see a school of porpoises tearing into a school of reds.

You can purchase charts with fishing spots noted plus the time of year to find them. Very worthwhile purchase. Also knowledgeable bait shops should be able to point out areas to try.

G

Paydirt is when you start pulling in the fish.

The fish follow the bait, so when the shrimp, mullet and such arrive, the bite is on. It will start in the saltwater closest to the ocean and then move inland. When the water cools in the fall, many will head for the brackish water, probably in places like the lake you tried out. The fresh water species should be eating already.
ble to point out areas to try.

Oh ok, Sorry did not know the terminology. I keep reading on the yak forum about Guana river. I really wanna fish there but 2 things are scary to me, very shallow water with oyster beds that will cut my tubes or soft bottom and or gators being near by. Also getting stuck in the mud on low tide is a no bueno for me. yak forum and the fla forum not friendly at all to an inflatable boater. Feel like a red headed step child.

Last edited:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
You get a lot of good old boys plus anti outboard motor people there, but many of them would be good for you to meet.

Just watch the tides and scout out an area for oysters at slow speed until you get familiar with the landscape. You will find good fishing areas without messing up a tube that way.

We are making our first trip to St. Augustine in June. If we find something nice, maybe we could make another trip and bring my grandson's yak for you to try out. Brunswick is another area which would be good to learn also. Check out the you tubes.

We have enjoyed the inflatable at Tomoka State park in the past using the go slow and learn method. The spoil banks between the Intracoastal Waterway and river can be very productive. Toss a 3/4 oz gold spoon and hang on or you can also troll a floater/diver plug. Bait is always good.

Gators get dangerous at about 8 ft and during the mating season around the first of summer or last of spring. Got some swimming holes for the ones all hot and bothered about saving the alligator:)

G

You get a lot of good old boys plus anti outboard motor people there, but many of them would be good for you to meet.

Just watch the tides and scout out an area for oysters at slow speed until you get familiar with the landscape. You will find good fishing areas without messing up a tube that way.

We are making our first trip to St. Augustine in June. If we find something nice, maybe we could make another trip and bring my grandson's yak for you to try out. Brunswick is another area which would be good to learn also. Check out the you tubes.

We have enjoyed the inflatable at Tomoka State park in the past using the go slow and learn method. The spoil banks between the Intracoastal Waterway and river can be very productive. Toss a 3/4 oz gold spoon and hang on or you can also troll a floater/diver plug. Bait is always good.

Gators get dangerous at about 8 ft and during the mating season around the first of summer or last of spring. Got some swimming holes for the ones all hot and bothered about saving the alligator:)

let me know when u go yaking i do not mind trolling along at your speeds

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
The set up looks righteous!!!! Wish I was there. Next time you go past a bridge like the one in the video, drop whatever you got (preferably live bait... shrimp and sand fleas work wonders). That looked like fishy ground to me... sheepshead! The more you get out the more you'll know so you are on the right track! As for the fish... small sea bass, toad fish or oyster cracker (and some of them do have venomous spines so be careful with them... in general... be careful with anything really ugly or brightly colored, the last fish could be one of a couple things. Hard to tell. My first guess would be a member of the wrasse family due to the body shape and mouth. A small snapper (coloring would suggest something like a cubera and I thought I saw some canines. The last guess would be a member or the grouper family but the body seems a little long for that. Hang in there. You will be killing in know time. Oh and take time now to teach yourself to throw the cast net... best money ever spent... trust me!