Infatable Keel Losing Air

dugfresh2

Recruit
I have an Achilles SD-124. Recently I have been having issues with the keel completely deflating after about 20 minutes. While garaged the keel remains inflated to pressure, however as soon as it's put in the water it losses pressure. I have troubleshot as much as I can. After removing the floor boards and checking extensively for Ieaks I cannot find anything. I have also filled the bottom of the boat with water and applied as much pressure to the keel tube as I can with no results. The valve also appears in good shape. Anyone else have any similar issues? I'm wondering if the weight of people in the boat on the floor boards may have something do with it but it seems unlikely.

G

Try checking for leaks with a spray bottle and soapy water. I tried checking with this water and did not have good results until i used soapy water. They sell these spray bottles in 99 cent stores. Be patient, took me about 1.5 hours to go around my entire boat. If that is not an issue unscrew ur valve clean it(might be sand in it) and reattach it with lock tite. I had a vavle leak and that fixed it just dont lose the second part of the valve in the tube

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you use Loctite probably won't be able to remove valve again from keel in the future event you need to remove it again. Upper valve must be seated at same place when removed, that's on top round marks left on sib's fabric, if not correctly seated could lose air. Apply soapy water to lower valve when assembling back.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Keels loosing air are mostly due to :

-Sand abrassion under keel, the fabric turns porous
-Lower wooden or alum bow floorboard rubbing against upper keel and abrading it.
-Seam leak at keel extremes
-Air valve leak

If keel becomes extremely porous, buy a new one.

​Happy Boating