Will a 3.5hp push 160kg in a 10ft SIB 10kph?

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Clearly not looking to plane here but Id like to be able to troll lures is all out of this portable set up with 2 people. Some of my lures run up to 10kph.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is it a Tohatsu/Nissan brand ? A 10 footer is rather small, will have huge hull drag to overcome fast, larger is always better. A 3.5 HP OB pushes a J-24 sailboat at max 4-4.5 knots at wot on flat calm no windy open water conditions.

With your actual setup probably max 5 knots. Won't see much speed difference going from 3/4 to full throtttle, 3/4 is a good setting. Inflate that sib to it's max factory recommended working pressure and ballance deck weight evenly for best overall water performance,

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Howpilot

Recruit
Clear something up please. Your talking about 10 kilometres per hour or knots per hour. Being that you state your weight at 160 kilos I'm betting your a Canuk. 10 kph is 6.1 mph. And 10 knots per h is 11.6 mph. Remember we Canadians are dealing with 400 million people to give us answers. We must speak their language. Although there are only 3 counties left on earth using mph and gallons and pounds, I still measure my gas use in miles per gallon as that litres per 100 kilometres is just plain stupid.

G

you will not get 11mph with a 3.5. You will get about 5-8 mph depending on gear. I had a 6hp outboard and i did 11mph

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
The best I ever got with a 3.5 (2 stroke) was 8 mph, that was all it would give me. This was on my 9 ft SIB, with hard floor and inflatable keel and very little gear. Add some gear and another person and i was only able to get 5, 6 if I was lucky.

If you need more speed, you'll need more power.

BoatFisho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for the very slow replies, been ill.

Im talking KPH, Im just wanting it to be able to move against a tide (not a big rip, just a normal harbour tide).

Would a 5hp add much? Huge portability difference though in weight.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Should not have any issues, a 3.5 HP pushes almost anything that floats.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Just inflate well all air chambers to their manufacturer specs for better overeall sib rigidity and performance with a small engine. Post GPS max speed achieved if possible, just for the record.

Happy Boating