Ready to launch in JAX florida

G

Ok here I go: mounted a cooler as my bench, so now it works as a cooler and a seat. ran a coat of glue under near the floor on the seams for added protection. Used hh66 (cheap 1 part glue but holds like a monster, also stretches with the pvc like polymarine and stabond) I use it to patch all my holes and works great. Have a command center tool box with my gps/fishfinder is attached and a battery is inside. the transducer comes up and down like my retired launch wheels used to. Have my bow bag in the front with a socket wrench, plugs, whistle, patch kit, hand pump, bilge pump, poncho, sun tan lotion. Goal from now on is mod without spending a penny on parts. Plan on launching tomorrow at dawn for my first try in jax florida. Will try to get an idea on drop offs of fresh water fishing. IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2598.JPG

alldodge

Staff member
Only issue I see is your cooler isn't big enough. The 48 can only hold about 36 beers and keep them cold. :D

robert graham

Admiral
Jacksonville is big water, fast currents, lots of shipping....be careful! Maybe one day drag your boat down to Welaka/Ocklawaha River area for beautiful scenery, good fishing, etc....

G

Well the chop kicked my Arse today. Nothing caught (did not have fresh bait), this was more of a run to get to know the area.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Weimed, there is a wide variety of water to choose from down there, so you just need to find the sweet area. The St. Johns is big, busy water and I would avoid it. Look at areas pointed out on the kayak site and you should be able to zero in on acceptable waters.

Get a Mirrorlure Mirodine, a bone colored Heddon Spook walk the dog lure, some jig heads and rubber shrimp tails such as DOA and Gulp in natural and chartruse. Talk to the guys at the tackle stores. If bait is not available, artis catch a lot of fish.

Once you break the code, feel free to invite me down for a fish dinner :)

G

The area i am at, its not busy at all. I am south of 295 bridge aka buckman bridge if u google map it. I was trying to get to "Black creek" (sounds like an area from the pirates of caribbean movie) heard boat loads of fish there. Thank you for the rig recommendations. There is no real bait shop near me. Only frozen stuff from sports stores. Might have to dig up worms from back yard like ronald said or start breeding minnows! Its ok i will be moving closer to the ocean side next year so the fishing should get a lot better for me :)

https://youtu.be/LWKEVSo3Izk

Last edited:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like Strike Zone at 11702 Beach Blvd and drive to Jax to shop there from time to time. The salesmen are knowledgeable. You also have a Gander Mountain in Jax and at St. Augustine who carry a lot of lures. We seldom use natural bait when fishing down there, but most people use bait. My wife likes to use a gold, 3/4 oz spoon for reds.

There is a nice store in the same strip as Strike Zone if you want to get into fly fishing. Also right next door there is a killer sea food restaurant.

Tomoka State Park south of you is a nice place to use an inflatable and catch fish where we have camped several times and they have a ramp suitable for an inflatable.

Now you have done it, as I am getting the itch to take the kayaks or Zodiac down there and get them wet.

Orange Park puts you right in the middle of some fine fishing.