Performance expectations for 11' dinghy and 9.5hp

Joe5.0

Cadet
So I got the stingray jr. installed and adjusted the trim to just a bit above full "down". It got up on place pretty quickly with just me in the dinghy and topped out around 15-16mph. More importantly there was ZERO prop ventilation and it ran very level.

So I'm not sure if the hydrofoil or the trim adjustment is the cause of the improvement, but I really dont care. Its running very good and ready for some putzing.

PART_1431653675309_20150514_185901.jpg

PART_1431653669436_20150514_185800.jpg

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking good. I do not know how to properly express it, but it should feel a little more stable also from my experience like adding length to the boat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Did the hole you trimmed the engine to, put the stingray parallel to water level when sib floats on its own. If not, try a trim setting that will achieve this condition, if riding solo move your weight forward, tank iincluded, go for a wot spin. The idea is to have the fin riding parallel not at an angle, cutting flow with least drag on it.

Happy Boating

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Something for him to experiment with, Sea Rider, but the Stingray functions like trim tabs as well as supporting the back of the hull. A small amount of down trim to trim tabs can cure a lot of problems though such as porpoising and lifting the stern and can ease the ride in certain sea conditions. It also minimizes improper weight distribution effects.

Tabs are not for everyone, but on the right boat they can work wonders even with the additional drag. I gave up 1 or 2 MPH on a 14 ft fiberglass but it performed much steadier and killed a tendency to porpoise. That is why you see so many different brands commonly available, as they do work well for some applications and allow planning with smaller motors.

According to what I read in the past, some motors just do not have large enough cavitation plates for some boats, but the manufacturers aim for the
"normal" rig whatever that is and go for speed at the tradeoff of lift.

In the past, one trick manufacturers used was to fix small wedges to the aft end of a hull to prevent porpoising. A friend had a rig which he sent back to the factory who cured the hull problems using the tapered shim. A Stingray device would have probably served the function for him at less expense.

We had a 20 footer which ran great with an 85 HP motor but porpoised with a 120. The hull had a pronounced hook just in front of the transom which helped with the smaller motor but was too much as speed was increased.

It is all a balancing act.

Joe5.0

Cadet
Did the hole you trimmed the engine to, put the stingray parallel to water level when sib floats on its own. If not, try a trim setting that will achieve this condition, if riding solo move your weight forward, tank iincluded, go for a wot spin. The idea is to have the fin riding parallel not at an angle, cutting flow with least drag on it.

Happy Boating

Next time I take it out I'll take a look. I might experiment with the trim of the engine, and move it out just one turn at a time and see if there is a better balance of speed & planing time. I wonder if it could hit 20mph with a little more trim. It definitely felt a TON more stable and felt like it "added length", so I'm happy with that. Now I want a 15 horse to blast around.......:eek::laugh:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went from a 15 HP to a 9.8 on our 10 ft Avon and it is much more user friendly. The 15 would go from barely planning to too fast with just a nudge of the throttle which made steering tender. The 9.8 gives respectable speed and is much more manageable in choppy water.