Help choosing a tender craft

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I currently own a 17ft O'Day (probably stepping up this season to 22-28ft) and require something better than my canoe to get to the mooring.
I went for a swim last season transferring from sail to canoe and prefer not to do that again anytime soon..

I see plenty of these cheap inflatables out there, with air deck, and wonder if I dropped in a plywood (or something ridged) deck I'd be able to stand in it?

I have no need for an engine or trolling motor, rowing is fine.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rowing an inflatable can be frustrating, and I would stay away from the cheap dingy designs. Avon, Achilles, and others make first class boats with and without fixed transoms which will provide considerably more boat for your money. The dingy is a tool and should be chosen carefully.

You can get a roll up slated floor, solid floor, or air floor which should serve you well, but if an air floor, be aware that a high pressure ump is required for rigidity. Don't scrimp on this item.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I currently own a 17ft O'Day (probably stepping up this season to 22-28ft) and require something better than my canoe to get to the mooring.
I went for a swim last season transferring from sail to canoe and prefer not to do that again anytime soon..

I see plenty of these cheap inflatables out there, with air deck, and wonder if I dropped in a plywood (or something ridged) deck I'd be able to stand in it?

I have no need for an engine or trolling motor, rowing is fine.

In order to give you the correct answer we need more information.
1. Where do you plan on storing this tender?
2. Is it fitting on Divits?
3. Do you plan to tow it?
4. What type of load ?

If rowing is your thing then look at a WM, Walker Bay or Sun Dulphin tender
They can be rowed easily. Sibs are really not for rowing but perform well with low hp outboards or trolling motors

olddawgsrule

Seaman
Thanks folks!
ronaldj, Just looking to get to my boat from the beach.
No need to tow and it's just to carry me.

The beauty of my Lake, is I have a dock to load supplies and folks.
I now use my canoe and tether it to the mooring, I'd be doing the same.
The canoe just goes in the back of the truck at the end of the day and back on the wall of the garage.
I don't require anything big, just stable enough to stand in.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Look at a Geenoe which can be paddled and is very stable if you do not want to use a motor.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
Just one of these on Craig's in my area

What do you think of these?
2009 model and he's asking $150
Claiming no leaks, but 3 'Factory' patches..

G

i would stick with the canoe, u can get a transom plate and throw a 2.5 hp outboard on it. and it will work great. or get a hobie and foot paddle your way to your boat. based on your situation an inflatable will be to much hastle

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I choose.
Price was too good and the craft was just fine.
I own an inflatable.

If you still plan on rowing it.
You have to let us know how that works out for you.
Rowing a sib is difficult at best

Hope you come up with some sort of technique you can teach us