keel replacement questions

G

i noticed that my keel cannot hold air for a week straight. I am now trailering my boat and have a wooden floor. Is there a foam style keel i can install in its place? If you really think about it, you can replace the inflatable keel with anything that imitates it. i would also assume if shape is not exactly the same you damage the bottom material and the areas its glued to the tubes

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Weimed,

When you say it doesn't hold air for a week, ends completely defleated or just loses some air. Inflate well and make a soapy test to entire keel to check air leaks. Sometimes the fabric with use deteriorates, becomes porous due to bow wooden panel rubbing against it, or sand under keel which has not been conveniently removed. Try to save your current keel or buy a new one.

Happy Boating

G

Weimed,

When you say it doesn't hold air for a week, ends completely defleated or just loses some air. Inflate well and make a soapy test to entire keel to check air leaks. Sometimes the fabric with use deteriorates, becomes porous due to bow wooden panel rubbing against it, or sand under keel which has not been conveniently removed. Try to save your current keel or buy a new one.

Happy Boating

yes, i was trying to avoid the whole inflating keel thing. I will water test it sometime this week. still need to flood interior to find if i have any interior leaks. i had a valve leak since last year i fixed this past week. removed valve with tool, washed it then reattached it and used locktite to seal it nice and snug. i might just run 1part glue across all the areas it attaches to the tubes. i do not plan to remove my floor ever again. (will be looking for a cheap bay boat to put inflating to bed once and for all.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Keels loses air pressure as air decks does. It's all about low pressure, low air volume and temp. When used to go sibbing, had to re inflate my air keel on next outing to 3.5/4.0 psi. It's the nature of the beast. To remove floor panels is a PITA, but is the only effective way to spot keel air leaks. Sibs riding with deflated keels doesn't perform well due to having lower hull fabric not completely stretched out to form a perfect tent like shape

Happy Boating

G

Keels loses air pressure as air decks does. It's all about low pressure, low air volume and temp. When used to go sibbing, had to re inflate my air keel on next outing to 3.5/4.0 psi. It's the nature of the beast. To remove floor panels is a PITA, but is the only effective way to spot keel air leaks. Sibs riding with deflated keels doesn't perform well due to having lower hull fabric not completely stretched out to form a perfect tent like shape

Happy Boating

I agree 100%. So i flooded my boat without the floor being in and found 2 leaks. One caused my me when installing the floor upside down when i was a newbie and one due to glue failing where the floor connects to the tubes. I put some air in the keel and drowned it. Did not find any holes in the keel. Its weird to me because i do not see much of a temperture chance in my garAge. Valve is not leaking either. I ordered glue and decided to run a line of glue across the part that connects the bottom floor material and the tubes. After that i am done! Putting the wooden deck back in and will try to launch for the first time

Last edited:

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congrats on getting the leaks fixed! How's Florida life going?? I still have the leak(s) in my boat to contend with when I get home from training. So ready for Winter to be over.

G

Congrats on getting the leaks fixed! How's Florida life going?? I still have the leak(s) in my boat to contend with when I get home from training. So ready for Winter to be over.

Florida is good. i found out the fishing where i am sucks (seasonal just like nyc) and will have to do 40 min drives to launch for good fishing ;(. it is stupid hot down here and refuse to launch without a bimini.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Can you take a picture of your keel tube.
I will ask the dealer for you on Tuesday if the high pressure keel can be retrofitted to your boat if you want

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
If living in an apartment, an inflatable makes sense. If you have a place to keep a trailerable craft, that would be much better for service and get you away from the downsides of an inflatable.

Depending on where you are located, you may find a kayak allows you to do very well with the fish. Nothing feels as good as being towed around by a fish with shoulders. They are very popular in parts of Florida and often can be launched near the places you fish.

Hot this time of year? Just give it a few months.