Transome paint

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
less then a year old and my transome paint on the outside is looking like it's cracking and not holding up. Only been outside about 4 months and covered lots of that time. Guess I got a project when I get back to Colorado. What's the best paint you guys have used?

alldodge

Staff member
less then a year old and my transome paint on the outside is looking like it's cracking and not holding up. Only been outside about 4 months and covered lots of that time. Guess I got a project when I get back to Colorado. What's the best paint you guys have used?

As with all paints, prep is the most important aspect of doing the job. Sounds like your going to have to remove all of it, prep and put a barrier coat on first. I use Interlux

Edit: and the transom material needs to be dry

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like only the transom cracking, that there could be some flexing going on there and that could be the source of the paint cracking. So before going through all the effort to repaint, verify the transom is indeed solid and not rotting. If the transom is solid, then follow AllDodge's suggestions about prep. Your prep IS the absolute best way to achieve a nice long lasting finish. Remember, any imperfections in your prep work will NOT be covered up in the final paint covering!

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat only has 45 hours on it. No paint cracked on the inside just vertical cracks on the out side, where the sun gets it most. Think some kind of two step epoxy paint would be best?

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'll check it out further when we get back from AZ. Weather will still be iffy in CO and will have plenty of time to mess with it.