Advise for choosing an inflatable for our RV-ing family...

Jlu

Cadet
We are considering purchasing an inflatable boat to fold and carry along with us on our RV trips. We have a 35" motorhome, so weight and size matters a lot. Due to that, we are trying to stay under or around 100lbs for the boat weight excluding the motor and 10 - 12" in size. The inflatable or dropstitch floor would be ideal to save on the weight. For motor, we are thinking around 9 - 10hp for just casual cruising. There is 4 of us (2 adults 2 kids) plus a pooch.This would be our first boat so no prior experience with boating so the research is becoming nerve wrecking and it's hard to find unbiased feedback.

We have narrowed down our search to a SeaEagle 10.6 or 12.6 runabout (10.6 preferred), or a Zodiac Cadet Fastroller 325, but I know there is a cheaper Saturn and other brands too (Mercury, Bombard, etc.) that we just didn't yet get to researching. Many of these share some similarities, like the PVC construction, but there are differences too which is why I'm writing. I'm not knowledgeable enough to evaluate these differences. For example Zodiac and Saturn have an inside inflatable keel, and SeaEagle has an external inflatable keel. The SE rep says the external keel will help with turns and is more responsive, but who knows if to trust him, since he just wants to sell his boats. As far as PVC goes, we know it will not last forever, but anything other that (Hypalon) would be just too heavy, so unless you show me any alternatives, we would probably have to stay with PVC. Another difference is the tube size. SE10.6sr has 16,75" tube diameter and the same size Zodiac Cadet 325 RF has 18". I would need to go up to the SE 12.6sr model to get a 18" tube. Should this matter to a casual boater? If so how? Another difference is the shape. The SE10.6sr has a very wide boxy nose and the Zodiac Cadet 325 has a more pointed nose. Again, I would need to go a size up in the SE models (12.6) to get the similar more pointed nose in the SE.Is this a big deal in terms of performance? On the other hand SE is roughly $500 cheaper, which is really not a big deal for us, but if all of the above differences are irrelevant, then why not to save some money on the SE.
I would really appreciate if you'd help with this evaluation especially if you have good overall experience with many of these boats. I hoping to stay objective with my comparison and not to give into the Zodiac brand name unless there is a true reason for it.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are RVers and have the Saturn in our signature. We started out with a 9.8 Tohatsu motor but at higher altitudes it didn't have quite the performance I wanted. Could have really got by with the Tohatsu and the 11' but with the 12' we still run out of room. Pretty happy with what we got but if I had the money to burn, with no question I would go with one of those Winboat Foldable ribs.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Stay away from Sea Eagle, crappy Sibs with lousy plastic floorboards...

If light weight and portability is a must have go for a Sib with non pointed nose preferably so to have more room up front. Air floor decks have their own pressure issue, must be air topped in order to perform best. A Mercury 340 or Saturn 365 air floors will be good priced alternatives.

A 9.9 /15 HP will perform good, the only down issue is that 4 stroke newer engines can weight as much as 10-12 kilo more to same 2 stroke brothers. If weight is an issue check Tohatsu 9.8 four stroke engine.

If Sib will be defleted after use and conveniently stored don't need an Hypalon Sib.

Happy Boating

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I would suggest a small/medium RIB on trailer. Inflating and deflating a SIB each time you want to use it will get old quickly. You can have a SIB on a trailer, but a RIB will give you a better ride, a hard floor, and you won't have to worry about the air pressure in the floor. All up a small rib, motor, and trailer will only weigh few hundred pounds which should be no problem for a 35' RV to tow. If you don't want to back the RV down the boat ramp you can get a dolly jack for moving the trailer around. A small RIB can be picked up and carried by a few people if a ramp is unavailable. I had a 310 RIB with seats, console, and a 20 hp motor. I also had a 470 console RIB with a 40hp motor. Both were on trailers towed by a minivan.

I would get a PVC boat with thermowelded seams. These are more durable (IME) than glued boats.

You say you want to "stay objective", but then reject Zodiac boats out of hand. My 470 was a Zodiac and it was a very good boat.

Compared to a hard boat, a SIB or RIB will have less interior room than you might expect given the outside dimensions. Bigger tubes can also reduce the inside space a bit. I would try out whatever size boat you think you might buy to see if it fits and then get the next size up (the kids are going to grow).

Since this is your first boat, I would try to get a good used one. You'll get more for your money, and if the boat thing doesn't work out you'll take less of a hit when you resell it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Recruit,

If you opt for a RIB which is a better alternative a 310 is too small, is mainly used as yacht, sailboat tenders. Go for at least a 3.40 + size and trailer, will have more fun and perform better to a smaller size.

Used to have a 310 Rib with an 18 HP, my boating pal needed to sit as bow mask in order to plane faster, if alone will sky tocket unless moved my weight at middle Sib.

You can't compare the quality of a large proffesional Zodiac Rib made in France with same crappy quality Sibs made in China. Night and day difference. If you inflate any quality sib with glued seams to its working pressure won't have tube failures in near future.

Happy Boating

Jlu

Cadet
Thank you for all the feedback, but unfortunately an RIB is not an option. We are towing our Subaru outback and can't tow two things. It will have to be an inflatable. Sorry.

Jlu

Cadet
You say you want to "stay objective", but then reject Zodiac boats out of hand. My 470 was a Zodiac and it was a very good boat.
I think you may have misunderstood. I like the Zodiacs. In fact the Zodiac Cadet 310 and/or Cadet FR 325 is what I mentioned that we really liked. As much as I understand that RIBs are better boats, our boat will have to be an inflatable and foldable boat to be able to carry and pack it into the RV or the our Subaru behind the RV.

G

i am still trying to figure out how you plan on fitting 4 people and a dog in a 12ft sib(small inflatable boat). 14ft with air floor might be an option. i have a 12ft boat. When fishing with just 1 other person it is fairly comfortable, any more then that you will have comfort issues, peoples butts and backs will start hurting unless you cushion the bench, 2 people on bench up front, 2 people on the rear bench. Or if you want to save yourself a headache spend a little more money and get a foldable rib, folds small it will fit in your suburu and no need to inflate a floor.

Jlu

Cadet
We've just added the Achilles LSI330E hypalon into our competition. Same size, good weight and best in class payload at 1380lbs. People rave about how much better they are compared to PVC boats regardless of brand. They are pricey too, but they may be worth it. Thoughts?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We are considering purchasing an inflatable boat to fold and carry along with us on our RV trips. We have a 35" motorhome, so weight and size matters a lot. Due to that, we are trying to stay under or around 100lbs for the boat weight excluding the motor and 10 - 12" in size. The inflatable or dropstitch floor would be ideal to save on the weight. For motor, we are thinking around 9 - 10hp for just casual cruising. There is 4 of us (2 adults 2 kids) plus a pooch.This would be our first boat so no prior experience with boating so the research is becoming nerve wrecking and it's hard to find unbiased feedback.

We have narrowed down our search to a SeaEagle 10.6 or 12.6 runabout (10.6 preferred), or a Zodiac Cadet Fastroller 325, but I know there is a cheaper Saturn and other brands too (Mercury, Bombard, etc.) that we just didn't yet get to researching. Many of these share some similarities, like the PVC construction, but there are differences too which is why I'm writing. I'm not knowledgeable enough to evaluate these differences. For example Zodiac and Saturn have an inside inflatable keel, and SeaEagle has an external inflatable keel. The SE rep says the external keel will help with turns and is more responsive, but who knows if to trust him, since he just wants to sell his boats. As far as PVC goes, we know it will not last forever, but anything other that (Hypalon) would be just too heavy, so unless you show me any alternatives, we would probably have to stay with PVC. Another difference is the tube size. SE10.6sr has 16,75" tube diameter and the same size Zodiac Cadet 325 RF has 18". I would need to go up to the SE 12.6sr model to get a 18" tube. Should this matter to a casual boater? If so how? Another difference is the shape. The SE10.6sr has a very wide boxy nose and the Zodiac Cadet 325 has a more pointed nose. Again, I would need to go a size up in the SE models (12.6) to get the similar more pointed nose in the SE.Is this a big deal in terms of performance? On the other hand SE is roughly $500 cheaper, which is really not a big deal for us, but if all of the above differences are irrelevant, then why not to save some money on the SE.
I would really appreciate if you'd help with this evaluation especially if you have good overall experience with many of these boats. I hoping to stay objective with my comparison and not to give into the Zodiac brand name unless there is a true reason for it.

Thank you so much!
I just so happen to have a Zodiac FR 325
I got it because it had the largest interior space of any of the 12 foot and under boats.
In fact it has more interior room than the Saturn 365
When you look at an inflatable boat you have to look at the interior size.
I also like the fact that it has an air floor and weighs approx 80lbs
I would not put a 4 stroke outboard on it that was larger than 9.9hp due to the weight.
The Fr325 does not have a pointy nose.
The most people I have had in the boat are three adults.
If fishing I would only do to adults
I also have two bench seats in the boat.
I tried the boat chairs and did not like them for fishing
The Fr325 also has fins which aide in the agility and stability of the boat.

If you have the opportunity go to a dealer and look at the boat for yourself.
You really don't want to buy a boat site unseen.
The Zodiac can run in salt water due to the keel and fins.
I would not be comfortable in the sea eagle in salt water.
You also may want to look at the Zodiac FR360 as that has 8 1/2 feet of interior space

Jlu

Cadet
i am still trying to figure out how you plan on fitting 4 people and a dog in a 12ft sib(small inflatable boat). 14ft with air floor might be an option. i have a 12ft boat. When fishing with just 1 other person it is fairly comfortable, any more then that you will have comfort issues, peoples butts and backs will start hurting unless you cushion the bench, 2 people on bench up front, 2 people on the rear bench. Or if you want to save yourself a headache spend a little more money and get a foldable rib, folds small it will fit in your suburu and no need to inflate a floor.

The 4 people are 2 adults and two kids and my dog is 6lbs :). I was going to get the inflatable sport boat bench as front seat for the kids that sits on the bottom and has a back. It looks safe and comfy. The Zodiac 325FR and Achilles 330e both have a capacity for 5 passengers. Based on the reps both of these could carry the 4 of us comfortably. My problem with the RIBs is not money, don't take this the wrong way, it's space and weight. The boat would need to stay under 100lbs, so that the total weight with the motor is less than 200lbs. Thanks!

Jlu

Cadet
If you have the opportunity go to a dealer and look at the boat for yourself.
You really don't want to buy a boat site unseen.
The Zodiac can run in salt water due to the keel and fins.
I would not be comfortable in the sea eagle in salt water.
You also may want to look at the Zodiac FR360 as that has 8 1/2 feet of interior space

Thank you for sharing. I didn't know about the fins. How do you like the FR325? Is it all you hoped for? There are no Zodiac dealers in the Chicago area :(, but we found some in Wisconsin. I like the FR360, but a bit heavier than we would like.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I love the FR325.
I got it to take into the Chesapeake Bay
I live 1 mile from the closest boat ramp
The FR360 weighs about 10 pounds more than the FR325
I originally looked at a Saturn extra wide boat but while I was at the small boat show somebody asked me where would I take the boat for support.
I learned how important having. Local dealer is.
I am fortunate in that I live in boat country and have a dealer for almost all the major boat companies.
I take my boat with me when I go on vacation. It is too small for off shore use but it is perfect for Bays Lakes and Protected waters.
So far I have been as far north as New Jersey and as far south as North Carolina.
I'm 90% saltwater and 10% freshwater
I want a larger boat but I will always have a FR so I can travel with it.
It cost a fortune to tow and upkeep a boat over 20ft.
While that size is great for your home waters. I don't know how you travel with it.

If you are only on lakes and fresh water you may also want to look at a Jonboat. They are under 100lbs and are trailor topable

G

4 people on a 15ft center console gets cramped and you want to put 4 people on an 11ft blow up boat. good luck. folding rib as chopper mentioned is best bet 90% of us would trade up in a heart beat. I am done wasting my time thread. it basically ends up same thing. definition of insanty: we been responding to the same types of threads over and over again hoping people take our advice but they dont and get the same results

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the 360 has an air floor, that's a perfect size family Sib. The longer the heavier it gets, but space is priceless for comfy boating. OTOH, a larger Sib will need a less HP engine to perform well....

Happy Boating

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
The # of passengers a boat is rated for does not mean that those people will be comfortable on the boat, just that the boat can hold them (and probably not at speed). My 470 Zodiac was rated for 9 people, but it was comfortable with 4 or less.

The less expensive name brand SIBs (Zodiac Zoom, Bombard, etc.) are OEMed in China by the same people who make the inexpensive Chinese boats. These are usually glued PVC.

Hypalon does have some advantages compared to PVC. But from the description of your intended use it doesn't sound like it will make any difference compared to a PVC boat. The biggest advantage to Hypalon is that it suffers abuse from the sun better than PVC. You can leave it out in the tropic sun for a lot longer than a PVC boat. If you keep a PVC boat stored properly (i.e. out of the sun) the disadvantages of PVC are mitigated quite a bit.

The are some advantages to PVC like better joints, lower cost, lighter weight, easier repair (if it comes to that). If you aren't planning to keep the boat for 20 years, A quality PVC boat will work just fine.

If you were considering a RIB, with a PVC boat you might be able to buy the boat and in 10 years a replacement set of tubes for less than the cost of the equivalent Hypalon boat.

Another thing to consider is that they don't actually make Hypalon(tm) (which apparently is neoprene and polyethylene) anymore. There are some similar products available (e.g. Orca fabric). This will likely mean that the prices will go up for purchases and repairs.

Best of luck with your decision.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hypalon is a trade registred brand for Du Pont and can't be used as they are no longer making the fabric at least for boating activities. But still being produced under other brand names as Orca. Japs have Achilles. Italians have Gommonautica and so on.

Hypalon is not kevlar, will puncture, be cut same as PVC. Just UV friendly specially if boating at the tropics. Usually just 0.7-0.8 mm compared to now a days 0-9 mm for excellent Korean and German PVC fabrics. You should get rid of your PVC inflatables each 5 years and 10 for Hypalon if heavily used and abused or expect to pay huge repair bills.

The technical name for Hypalon developed by DuPont is : Chlorossulfonated Polyethylene CSPE sintetic rubber and it's only the outer layer of a triple sandwich fabric for boating uses.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Jlu

Cadet
Thank you all for the helpful advise. We'll take a look at the Zodiac 325FR or 360FR at a Wisconsin dealer. I think any of those two will be fine for what we need it. I understand that I may have frustrated some of you with my reluctance in investing in a larger more expensive boat, but please understand, boating will be just one of the many different activities we'll be doing with our kids while RV-ing 3-4 months out of a year, so it will not be used as much as if we lived near a sea.

Thank you again!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Zodiac FR 360 straight, but that's me. Bit longer, wider and above all comfy & roomier, family oriented.

Happy Boating