Seamax Ocean 430 Alu Floor Sib.-

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can't buy one of those Proud Smokers new here anyway. They should all be rated for four stoke motors.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To clarify, it's not a physical issue, it's all about performance issue. Will depend entirely if you like boating at idle, fast speed, slow, fast plane, doing tight turns, doing extreme boating. All wooden, alum floorboards flexes when encountering rough waters specially the ones having white caps, doesn't matter how air topped you have that Sib inflated to.

Plastic hollow floorboards flexes worst of all. Although SE has made some mods to strenghthen their foorboards, has done nothing to strenghthen their bow floorboard. If you inflate keel too much, add UV punishment on the medium run will end cracking floorboard in middle. The previous posted cracked floor pics corresponds to SE 420 current production model, has reinforced alum panels unde deck, 4 alum side joiners.

It's not the same using a SE for short time periods, week end summer uses as opossed to daily recreational mundane & extreme uses. Floorboards on Sibs acccounts for at least 50% of its water performance, the other 50% relys on tubes and keel.

With respect to videos, no one shows the real plastic floorboard condition while Sib is on plane, Video says nothing. Having tested a SE 420 with a Yam 25 HP can say that plastic deck flexed hell of a lot more compared to same 420 alum panel deck due to being light and hollow, worst on choppy seas. SE has sacrificed portability,light weight floor, ease of assembly as opposed to deck rigidity which is a must have for best overall water condition such as open waters, non sheltered bays, creeks, etc. uses.

A big flaw seen while watching a SE 420 assembly. Why use a 4 piece, 2 extreme long, 2 extreme short side joiners when a 1 piece long side joiner per side would have been ideal, assures better deck rigidity.

Alan, the only way you can conclude about your 420 being a good or bad water performer would be to test any same size alum floor sib against yours or even racing against one to note the huge water performnce difference between both.

If you need a Sib to walk Miss Daisy on a summer sunny day a SE is what you need. If not in your plans, buy a Saturm, Quicksilver, Mercury Sib, are way better...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Alanfox55
I think that the real issue is
The stress of 4 stroke engines as opposed to 2 stroke engines and
Long shaft outboards as opposed to Short shaft outboards.
I believe that all boats should be rated for outboard transom weight as opposed to HP.

I think you have a valid point there and even though mine does not have the weight listed on the plate they say max 175lbs and mine is 155 so I should be good there.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
To clarify, it's not a physical issue, it's all about performance issue. Will depend entirely if you like boating at idle, fast speed, slow, fast plane, doing tight turns, doing extreme boating. All wooden, alum floorboards flexes when encountering rough waters specially the ones having white caps, doesn't matter how air topped you have that Sib inflated to.

Plastic hollow floorboards flexes worst of all. Although SE has made some mods to strenghthen their foorboards, has done nothing to strenghthen their bow floorboard. If you inflate keel too much, add UV punishment on the medium run will end cracking floorboard in middle. The previous posted cracked floor pics corresponds to SE 420 current production model, has reinforced alum panels unde deck, 4 alum side joiners.

It's not the same using a SE for short time periods, week end summer uses as opossed to daily recreational mundane & extreme uses. Floorboards on Sibs acccounts for at least 50% of its water performance, the other 50% relys on tubes and keel.

With respect to videos, no one shows the real plastic floorboard condition while Sib is on plane, Video says nothing. Having tested a SE 420 with a Yam 25 HP can say that plastic deck flexed hell of a lot more compared to same 420 alum panel deck due to being light and hollow, worst on choppy seas. SE has sacrificed portability,light weight floor, ease of assembly as opposed to deck rigidity which is a must have for best overall water condition such as open waters, non sheltered bays, creeks, etc. uses.

A big flaw seen while watching a SE 420 assembly. Why use a 4 piece, 2 extreme long, 2 extreme short side joiners when a 1 piece long side joiner per side would have been ideal, assures better deck rigidity.

Alan, the only way you can conclude about your 420 being a good or bad water performer would be to test any same size alum floor sib against yours or even racing against one to note the huge water performnce difference between both.

If you need a Sib to walk Miss Daisy on a summer sunny day a SE is what you need. If not in your plans, buy a Saturm, Quicksilver, Mercury Sib, are way better...

Happy Boating

I don't have a 420 but an SR14RIK but I guess your talking about the same boat but in metric? Performance? I've shared the video of the SR14 with a 25hp Yamaha on it and it looks like he's doing pretty good to me but I'll take your word for it,with reserve,for now. Maybe your correct about aluminum floors,I don't know I may never have an inflatable with an aluminum floor to test but do you really need to be belittling people with the "Walking Miss Daisy" line? Use your boat everyday? How many people use their boats every day? If I was using my boat every day in big waves in the ocean I would be spending a lot more money on a boat than the under $2000.00 on sale and free shipping that I paid for mine but then me and a lot of other people are only walking Miss Daisy so I guess we're OK. Bring your big bad boat to my lake anytime and I'll be happy to race you.https://youtu.be/c26iIl7jM3k

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, we're talking about same SE Sib model, you have answered yourself "I may never have an inflatable with an aluminum floor to test" so really can't compare water performance difference. All will depend on the boating you like doing. SE could be eye ctaching and fun boating with, but are limited to tranquile waters, That's the spitit of the beast....

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Correct but then why tell me and everyone else that it's a crappy boat because of the floor boards. Maybe a better description would be a simple explanation that there is good and bad that comes with a plastic floor the bad being not the best for choppy seas or being out in a hot sun everyday. The good being light weight and less expensive than comparable aluminum floor boats. Something like that would be a much less biased and more informative response. A Sea Eagle might of been the perfect boat for the person with the RV looking for a light weight and less expensive boat but he was steered away from it because they are "crappy".

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Alan, both have different theory and practice points of views. Had the opportunity to test a brand SE 14 footer last year with an Evi 25 HP on slight choppy, windy sea cond, bad performer, thought whole plastic floor was coming apart while on fast plane. Owner is afraid going into open waters, doesn't feel safe and that tells you all about that model you defend so much. I think that already have described the plastic floor issues, there goes again:

- Hollow plastic floorboards, compact would have been way better. Has excessive water rolling under plastic deck due to "more flexing" compared to alum.
-SE sacrifices floor portability & light weight against performance.
-4 Side alum joiners, a design flaw. 2 long would have been way better. Ties the center & rear panels much better than 4.
-With use, UV sun punishment, extreme boating and age front floor will crack as a Nabisco cracker, you already have seen the previous posted pics.
-Will need to endlessly call SE for floor replacements. Only possible in USA.

I was probably mean calling a SE a crappy sib, will call it a crappy performer compared to other sibs brands and for the same price. Being an inflatable boater since 1996, water performance is all to me, and a SE doesn't pass my test nor would recommend anyone buying them down here for the type of boating we like doing. Laugh very much seeing at SE web page the white haired man praising how " tough that SE sib is" Come on, a written paper and a video endures all. As an example this Sea Rider 310 Rib with an 18 HP beats by far distance a SE 14 footer with a 25 HP any time, any day on flat or choppy seas cond as well.

Sea Rider Vs Sea Eagle.JPG

To end with the floor issue and post, no one really is looking or cares while boating if floor flexes or by how much, will seem a normal thing to them, but in the practice this flexing issue generates more hull drag than non flexing at all or at least flexing much less as wooden or alum floor decks does.. If you don't like floor flexing issues, a Rib is what you need.

Happy Boating