6hp Outboard for 2.4 metre Inflatable Boat

popes

Recruit
I am planning on buying a Honwave T24 IE - this is a 2.4 metre inflatable Honwave with an inflatable keel, the recommended power is 6hp.

I am wondering what would be the best outboard to get. I don't really mind about weight, just practicality, reputation and generally a good overall performance.

I only want to look 4 stroke as I don't want to mix fuel.

Ideally I would like the outboard to be quite quiet and economical.

Really just want overall advice on this.

Also what speed would it go ?????

Many Thanks,

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You should care about weight.
You want to make sure the transom can support the weight

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I had a 1972 Johnson 6hp I sold a couple of years ago. I had it for about 3 years and knew nothing about outboards during that time so I never did any maintenance,winterizing,or anything like that. I knew nothing about TCW-3 two stroke oils but I did,to my credit,at least use oil that said outboard on it. I did have experience with other two stroke motors so I did find out what the correct fuel to oil ratio was. So all I really did was mix gas and oil,hook up to the tank and go fishing. That motor always started first time every time even after laying on it's side for a few months during the winter. I'm not saying every Johnson/Evinrude 6hp is like that but there sure was a lot of them sold and there are a lot of them still running.

My 8ft inflatable wasn't meant to plane and it didn't but we put that motor on a friends very light weight aluminium John boat and it zipped along pretty good. You can see how a 6hp pushes an inflatable boat if you do a search on YouTube for 6hp Johnson,Evinrude,Mercury ext.. As I remember there where quit a few on there to see.

Attachments

• photo214752.jpg
    photo214752.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215800.jpg
    photo215800.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
No issue placing a 4 stroke engine on a new Honwave sib, compared to same 2 strokes, the weight difference is small compared to 10 + kilos on larger 15 HP + 2 and 4 strokes engines. Just inflate well sib to its factory recommended working pressures for best tube rigidity & water performance.

Happy Boating