I need a cheap boat for a rocky float.

jnolen

Recruit
So I am trying to decide on a good inflatable for my kids and I and am hopeful that I might get an answer on here. I'm looking for a boat to float down the Clackamas River in Oregon on. It will go out around 15 times a season. It's likely that it will scrape the bottom as the Clackamas often has low levels. It seems that 3 boats are the top dogs for the 150 to 500 dollar mark. If there is a better one For what im doing please let me know. I've heard great things about the Intex Mariner 3 & 4 except the bottom having issues with rocks worse than most standard inflatable bottoms. If this is not the case please let me know because every other specification of the Mariner 3 & 4 seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. The sevylor fish hunter 360 might be the next best option from what I can tell but if possible I'd like to take my dog occasionally and it sounds like the pvc on the mariner can tolerate that abuse whereas the 360 might not. Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way this will not be a fishing rig. I have a 14 footer for that. Just something stable to take little guys and maybe a dog in. On a side note I saw a youtube video of a guy turning a intex Seahawk ll into a self bailing raft and was wondering if anyone else has tried this and how well it worked Thanks so much and I look forward to any responses.

Last edited:

desancho

Recruit
We bought the display model at fishermans sidewalk sale ($99) two summers ago to do the same thing. It's worked great so far. I'm looking at putting a floor in and using it for lake fishing as well. I will tell you that you need an invasive species permit, life vests and a whistle to be legit. We got stopped by the CCPD last summer. Let me know if you have anymore questions. By the way I think you can get these on Amazon now for around $100, Upgrade the oars if you get one. The ones that came with mine were pretty cheap.

robdogj

Cadet
I have a used Seahawk 500 & I plan to take this puppy on the American River here in Sacramento - let you know how it goes - However I wouldn't mind upgrading to the Intex M4 - Heard a lot of good things about it

Brusac

Seaman
I have the Intex M4. With the hand pump it comes with I can fully inflate it in about 10 minutes. I still use a battery pump though... I have run over rocks and hit branches sticking up in the water with no problems. It does have some very good rock guards along the sides and the keel for just that reason. I highly recommend it!

robdogj

Cadet
well the seahawk 500 worked today on the American River - I did have some issues trying to pump this though - the Boston Valve chamber - does anyone have any advise on pumping into the Boston Valve?