Need advice Avon or Inmar ?

jkwhite

Cadet
Hi, I am new to the forum, and have no experience with inflatables so could use some advice.

I want a small inflatable to serve as a tender and to explore islands on Penobscot Bay in Maine from our 23 ft Wellcraft
I am 68 yo so figure I will need this for about 10-12 years more.
We have a limited budget and are looking at 2 possibilities:

Used Avon 9' owner says 10 years old??? $500.00 (is there anyway to know the actual age of the Avon?)
Inmar- Zodiac on E-bay 7'11 New $695.00 PVC .9 mil 1.8 on bottom. I can not find any independent reviews of this boat / manufacturer.

Suggestions Thoughts?

Thanks

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are lots of alternatives. Just do some searching on the Internet. Some not more than those used ones.

G

Hi, I am new to the forum, and have no experience with inflatables so could use some advice.

I want a small inflatable to serve as a tender and to explore islands on Penobscot Bay in Maine from our 23 ft Wellcraft
I am 68 yo so figure I will need this for about 10-12 years more.
We have a limited budget and are looking at 2 possibilities:

Used Avon 9' owner says 10 years old??? $500.00 (is there anyway to know the actual age of the Avon?)
Inmar- Zodiac on E-bay 7'11 New $695.00 PVC .9 mil 1.8 on bottom. I can not find any independent reviews of this boat / manufacturer.

Suggestions Thoughts?

Thanks

How many people are going to be on the tender? What type of engine are you planning of putting on it? Avon is very nice and reliable boat brand. I recommend buying these boats for people inland where they do not see much use. If you see a boat thats beat up do not buy it. I have seen 10 year old bosts in great condition. When you see a boat you like. Bring a spray bottle with you and spray the tubes slowly and carefully starting from front to back to verify there is no holes or leaks. If all is well then you can talk about purchasing it.

jkwhite

Cadet
Thanks for the replies.

I researched and found Avon has a HID and the last digits tell the manufacture date so I can find the age of the Avon.

So the decision comes down to go with a used Avon or a new Inmar. The conundrum is about Inmar as I can find no independent consumer satisfaction information on these boats. Although they offer a 3 year guarantee, that as we know, is only ass good as the company behind it.

Anyone had any experience with Inmar boats?

Thank you.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If that sib will be exposed year round to the elements for years to come, buy the Avon, it's Hypalon, a friendly fabric to UV. The other one is plain PVC, will not last that long if will live next to your Wellcraft. Check the Avon fabric condition, must be plain flexible. Make a soappy water test on all seams as advised by Weimed.

Inmar is a parallel brand to heavy duty JP Marine Inflatables. The one offered is the recreational standard PVC 0.9 mm fabric version. A larger 9" is much better and roomier than a 7". If I had to choose from both offered, the Avon all the way provided it's in opt state.

Happy Boating

Last edited: