Sea Eagle SR14 RIK + 30hp Mercury Two Stroke

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Well boys and girls I finally solved my idle problem!!! I don't know what exactly I did that worked but for now I don't care I'm ready to go boating and do some testing of things like my new prop. I will be sure to give a full report.

https://youtu.be/e22jAwXeNIw

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Probably a carb/ timing cam desynchronization.. good to read you solve the issue.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Well it's been awhile since I wrote anything here. I finally got my idle problem fixed and today I got my boat registered. I'm not going on the lake for the first time on the weekend,too busy,so I will be heading out for first launch next week. I have a couple of videos for all to watch. The first one is just my motor idling,first it's too high,then I get it down after much work,then down to where it is now. Of course the final adjustment will be at the lake in forward gear. The second video is me testing different setups for taking boating videos with my Samsung S6...it takes pretty amazing pics and videos. It's kinda funny but informative at the same time.
https://youtu.be/Y9UlIezKTVo
https://youtu.be/9A54jKJ7uRI
https://youtu.be/Y9UlIezKTVo

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Alan,

Very cool idea to check engine height/water flow sideways specially if driving with a center console. Can dial sweet engine/transom height with the least effort and technology.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah the Rail Blaza stuff is pretty cool which allows me to get those shots. The mount holds the phone very securely,thankfully,then I'll put it in a waterproof pouch thingy and I'm all set. The biggest problem is turning the video on but I was able to manage it. I did the registration and title thing yesterday so I'll be ready to go next week...full report to come.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I found out I didn't need a phone thingy pouch. I found a waterproof protective case on Amazon for $25 so will be using that.

I thought everything was done and I was ready to go boating but delayed again when I put in a new thermostat and over looked getting new gaskets. The stat had never been changed on my motor and it's a 97 so the gasket was not in great shape so a few more days wait for new ones. It's been above 100 degrees here lately so it will be early mourning boating only for now.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thermo and thermo gasket must be changed jointly, some use pure mega gray silicone to sit thermo or over old gasket, some gaskets comes out in pieces due to being old and dried.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I did get the old one off with the help of a razor blade but both of them are only a couple dollars apiece so no need to worry about it with old ones. By the way one of them is rubber that goes around the stat. I do have some Evinrude gasket sealing compound I could use but nothing had been used from the factory and the service manual doesn't call for anything. The rest of what I could see looked good so I'm just going to use what's there for now.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't added to this thread since last year but because some people have been interested in my boat set up lately I thought it might be a good time to start. I have some new videos and photos I can post and can go into more detail on a few things I've already discussed.

I used a lot of space last year talking about my idle problem but noticed I never said how I fixed it...what I did was soak it for 8 hrs in Yamaha carb cleaner. I had cleaned then rebuilt the carb once then cleaned it again with no success. Then I took it apart again,soaked it,sprayed it out with carb cleaner then blew it out with air. I have 3 carbs to clean this week from a 70hp Johnson and will be doing it the same way.

Maybe next time I'll talk about gluing and adhesives,something I did a lot of last year and haven't seen covered yet...until then...

81 (2).JPG

Attachments

• 81 (2).JPG
    81 (2).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 0