Throttle friction?

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
have my throttle set so it will stay where I set it so I can free up my hands. Thinking it's not a good idea going at speed and bouncing on waves. What you think? Also to you wear your deadman lanyard?

alldodge

Staff member
have my throttle set so it will stay where I set it so I can free up my hands. Thinking it's not a good idea going at speed and bouncing on waves. What you think? Also to you wear your deadman lanyard?

Agree with both

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I also agree with both. I always wear my kill switch lanyard because you just never know what will happen. If you did know what was going to happen, you would avoid it and it would never happen...DUH!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 conflictive issues here : Tiller friction and steering friction adjustments.

You should always need to have the con on the tiller specially if the steering load is loose as the nut tends to become loose over time, needs to be re tighten from time to time as to achieve going on a straight water course when you release the tiller.

Throttle must be adjusted to return to idle or slow speed when hand released. You wouln't like falling into sea while not having your kill cord well fasten and combo going on a merry go round with you in middle or drifting along at speed to Bermuda. Wear the kill cord attached to your wrist or life vest at all times specially if boating solo..

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep, after yesterday's moon rocket launch trying to plane I'm thinking its time to think more about safety.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, after yesterday's moon rocket launch trying to plane I'm thinking its time to think more about safety.

Have you tried moving your weight forward while sitting inside middle floor and going full throttle for a fast holeshot ? combo should plane faster, if not, a tiller extension should do the trick..

Happy Boating

alldodge

Staff member
There are 2 conflictive issues here : Tiller friction and steering friction adjustments.

You should always need to have the con on the tiller specially if the steering load is loose as the nut tends to become loose over time, needs to be re tighten from time to time as to achieve going on a straight water course when you release the tiller.

Throttle must be adjusted to return to idle or slow speed when hand released. You wouln't like falling into sea and combo going on a merry go round with you in middle or combo drifting along at speed to Bermuda. Wear the kill cord attached to your wrist or life vest at all times specially if boating solo..

Happy Boating

Got to disagree with you on this one, all the boats I have ever owned have never gone back to idle when my hand was removed. If it did that then every time you got a bump and your had move you would be putting on the breaks. This would be a very bad move and could get someone hurt including the driver. The stop lanyard is the safety thing encase your go overboard

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you tried moving your weight forward while sitting inside middle floor and going full throttle for a fast holeshot ? combo should plane faster, if not, a tiller extension should do the trick..

Happy Boating

Yep, got a BIG weight distribution when solo. Tiller extension is the only answer right now. Can't get far enough forward with it stock.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
My motor has a lever you can move to tighten or loosing for turning tension which is a nice feature. However, the throttle tension is clear back and on the bottom off the tiller. A PITA to adjust. I like a tight throttle when I am running at slow speeds so I can change hands and not mess my speed. Not sure I need it tight at high speed. Just have to be diligent with that lanyard

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Got to disagree with you on this one, all the boats I have ever owned have never gone back to idle when my hand was removed.

The only way for a throtttle to retturn to idle is if the whole throttle mechanism is well greased and moving parts have finally settled in nicely. Have had previous Evi engines, which are pigs returning to idle once grip was released, no matter if well greased. There are cable and rod throttle mechanisms, both does not retun same way.

My rod throttle mechanism is so smooth due to being periodically greased that you can fully throttle with your mouth. Just hold grip well with full hand, know your boat/engine combo well and above all don't make stupid maneuvers or play being a clown while boating at speed or on choppy water cond in which you need to back up your horse for a pleasent non bumpy ride.

When removing my hand from grip while at speed or full wot, the throttle returns slowly to idle/fast idle position, this gives time for engine to lessen its rpm down for a gradual combo stop to just displacement speed.

Touche on the safety lanyard issue, besides is faster to pull to shut engine down inmediately when encountering a unexpected emergency than pushing the lanyard switch off specially if out of reach.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ALWAYS wear my kill cord. Way to easy to fall out of an inflatable boat. My throttle is also adjusted to return to idle.

Here is why!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Incredible driver stupidity, those are rescue guys trainned for, should know what were doing, Probably just wanted to show off and the shot went throughout the butt. Can see clearly 3 stupid issues : driver was not wearing kill cord attached to, throtttle friction was set as not to return to idle position , steering friction loose, dangerous marry go round at speed....Miraculously Rib didin't flip at all, would have been better for an instant combo stop.

Happy Boating