Help please will a 6 hp get a 10' 6" SIB on plane reliably?

volkeith

Seaman Apprentice
I just ordered a Mercury 340 air deck model. It has the rounded end tubes and weighs 99 lbs.

Will I be able to get up on plane with a new 6 hp 4 stroke.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will depend entirely on your weight, number of passengers to transport, how well that sib and its air deck is top inflated , engine height on transon and overall water conditions. Which brand is the engine ?

Happy Boating

volkeith

Seaman Apprentice
It will be a Suzuki most likely, but maybe a Yahama.
If I have to go up to 10hp I was looking at the Tohatsu but I really don't want to lug around 81 lbs.

G

i had a 6hp merc of a lot heavier zodiac i currently own and was able to plane fine not to mention it was a 20" shaft 5" to long

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How about a Tohatsu 9.8-4 strokes 210 CC engine, it's the top of the detuned 8 HP version. Personally if counting with an air deck sib as in your case will be happy to count with the extra engine punch compared to a 6-8 HP engine, bear in mind that air deck sibs tends to deflate during boating hours which will inevitabily create more hull drag which will need to be compensated somehow..

It's a pity that 4 strokes engines weights as much as 10 + kilos compared to same 2 strokes versions which are lighter to place and retrieve from transom... A Merc 340 is rated for a 15 HP engine, anything below 9.8 will surely give poor combo water performance or strugle to plane if medium or heavily loaded.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a 9.8 Tohatsu (probably only 7hp at five thousand feet)on a 12 foot.It would only plane decent riding solo. It was a pig with two big adults.

volkeith

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. Mercury makes a point that the rounded end tubes make a big difference. I gonna be on calm water in east TN or in the sound in coastal NC.
This flipping boat is huge though I don't know if it will fit in my prius...lol. The engine will need to fit in the front passenger side...

G

weimed how did you end up with a 15hp? do you use a trailer?

Funny story actually. All my friends were running 15hp outboard and i could not keep up and got fed up. Bought a 15 and never looked back (real heavy at 110lb). At the moment my boat is the fastest sib in the bay :). As per trailer, I wish i could trailer it. i have a small suv and realized the best way to haul the boat is boat in trunk and you can fit an ouboard on the floor in the back between the seats. Fits very nicely. here a vid and yes there are some of us that have a small sedan like a toyota camery and a 2 door solara. mine is the blue nissan and the blue zoom is my boat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wfcm1WdMdI

Last edited:
G

Every time i watch my videos makes me remember how blessed of a year we had (2014). I can't wait until 2015 fishing season starts. I hope our Crew can get together again this year (this includes you too Ronald).

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I keep my 5Hp behind the drivers seat in my vibe/Matrix
I keep the rolled up boat in the hatch area with one side of my rear seat folded down.

On my long trips when I try to hang out with Weimed I just load everything into the back of my Equinox

volkeith

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the video. I noticed all you guys have wheels. I want some but it looks like the splash flaps in the back are gonna be in the way. Did you guys remove them?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The reason we all have wheels is so we can move the boats from the parking lots to the launch ramps.
Most of us remove the wheels once underway.
There is also a thread showing the mounting pins we use so we can remove the wheels to fold up the boats

pgnyc

Seaman
Thanks guys. Mercury makes a point that the rounded end tubes make a big difference. I gonna be on calm water in east TN or in the sound in coastal NC.
This flipping boat is huge though I don't know if it will fit in my prius...lol. The engine will need to fit in the front passenger side...

hello,
i am the one with the camry hybrid and the grey/red boat .
i put the engine tohatsu 9.8 cc in the trunk (only 10Cu ) and the boat in the back seat and the other things on the driver side.

But i bought the boat to use with my family and it was a nightmare to do. so i bought a Nissan Frontier, no more pb !!!!
Pascal

volkeith

Seaman Apprentice
The reason we all have wheels is so we can move the boats from the parking lots to the launch ramps.
Most of us remove the wheels once underway.
There is also a thread showing the mounting pins we use so we can remove the wheels to fold up the boats

My boats transom has splash guards that will get in the way when the wheels are folded up so I would either have to cut the splash guard or remove wheels after launching.

volkeith

Seaman Apprentice
hello,
i am the one with the camry hybrid and the grey/red boat .
i put the engine tohatsu 9.8 cc in the trunk (only 10Cu ) and the boat in the back seat and the other things on the driver side.

But i bought the boat to use with my family and it was a nightmare to do. so i bought a Nissan Frontier, no more pb !!!!
Pascal
It is all gonna fit but I had a check of a time figuring out how to fold it correctly and get it in the bag.

My ex wife got the suv lol