sibs vs. ribs

Joe Zens

Cadet
Hey fellas....got a question for ya!!!! Still on the fence on getting a rib. I know that a rib is a lot more comfortable in chop, and handles turns better and all that...but what I was wondering was... all things being equal, how much faster is a rib on the water than the same size Sib, and using the same engine and weight??? I heard they are faster, partly because of the hard hull vs. The soft bottom. Anyone have any input on the subject? A comparable rib is at least double the cost of the Sib, and if you only use it maybe 8-10 times a year....well??? And storage and a trailer are not a issue for me, so what are you guys thoughts on the speed difference? Thanks,,,, Joe.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Personally if a trailer and storage is no problem I would go with a conventional boat. I bought a sib because ther are light and I can throw it and the motor in the back of the truck when we pull our fifth wheel. Lot easier than double towing.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey fellas....got a question for ya!!!! Still on the fence on getting a rib. I know that a rib is a lot more comfortable in chop, and handles turns better and all that...but what I was wondering was... all things being equal, how much faster is a rib on the water than the same size Sib, and using the same engine and weight??? I heard they are faster, partly because of the hard hull vs. The soft bottom. Anyone have any input on the subject? A comparable rib is at least double the cost of the Sib, and if you only use it maybe 8-10 times a year....well??? And storage and a trailer are not a issue for me, so what are you guys thoughts on the speed difference? Thanks,,,, Joe.

For starters a Rib is going to be faster due to having a hard bottom V hull.
Now having said that
And we are talking about boats 15 feet and under.
If you can go the trail or route then you should look at a Jon Boat (V-hull for Saltwater, Flatbottom Freshwater)
You could also look at a small Whaler or Skiff type boat
All of the above will work effortlessly with a 10hp 4 stroke
What concerns me about the 15hp 4 stroke is weight on the transom while being towed

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If sib is fully inflated to factory specs and riding on flat calm no wind water against a lightly loaded same size rib with same HP engine, the rib is faster, not that will fly compared to a sib. Would say 20-25% faster. The great advantage is the hull response against water specially on light chops, wind, etc

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
For starters a Rib is going to be faster due to having a hard bottom V hull.
Now having said that
And we are talking about boats 15 feet and under.
If you can go the trail or route then you should look at a Jon Boat (V-hull for Saltwater, Flatbottom Freshwater)
You could also look at a small Whaler or Skiff type boat
All of the above will work effortlessly with a 10hp 4 stroke
What concerns me about the 15hp 4 stroke is weight on the transom while being towed

If he was to get a Trailx inflatable boat trailer like I have the transom would be fully supported and he would not have to worry about the weight of the motor. That is of course assuming he is staying within the manufacturers recommended weight limits.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If tubes are fully supported and sib is well inflated to at least 3.0 PSI to have a rigid and stable transom, 10+ kilo should not be a weight issue when boating or towing. If not, transom will be highly stressed with transom ungluing issues, Bad and costly musique...

Happy Boating

G

am so upset. We are grounded until may :( striped bass season starts on April 15th. 3.5 months of just reading about you guys fishing on the south or west south coast :(