Mercury 430 Ocean Runner RIB

G

if you going to trailer it, I would throw a 30-40hp on it and a console. Man that's a good boat. Throw a 40hp efi on it with a 25g tank and you are ready for open water

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Nice rib, with a 20 HP and 2 adults medium loaded will fly, with a 30 HP will have much better performance with more boaters and weight. My 430 rib with 3 adults does superb with just a 18 HP. Will need a trailer and where to keep the combo.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ba_fisher

Cadet
I am almost ready to pull the trigger. Do you guys have suggestions where I should order it?

There are two choices that I can see: (1) order on-line. The pro is cheap. Here's one for $3799 with hypalon and free shipping ( http://www.solutiononemaritime.com/mercury-inflatables/186-430orhyp.html ). The cons is I have to set it up, and add the motor and trailer myself.

(2) buy from a local dealer. The pro is it's all set up. The cons is of course price.

I have absolutely zero experience with boats, and relatively modest DIY skills. Is it easy to set up the boat? The motor is about 120lb (4 stroke 20hp). Two clueless guys will be OK to lift/mount it?

Also, when I get the motor (will be a new one), should I test it at home first (in a bucket of water), or just go directly to water?

Thanks!

G

Dude, if your buying a 20hp, buy the suzuki 20 it weight is 97lb or the 103lb honda 20hp. I handle a 110lb mercury 15hp by my self every trip. Trust me dont buy a 20. Its to slow for that size rib and boat. U will regret it later. I run my boat at 21mph and thats slow as hell of flat water. U will regret it. Buy what you want. I will hate to tell you i told u so later on. I been boating 1.5 years and must of launched about 30-40 times. I was new like you. This is the last time i will tell u get a bigger motor or you will regret it later on. GO BIG OR GO HOME.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Do you plan to keep the boat completely Open, that's tiller driven without a center console and back seat ? If so buy it from first source, just ask them to provide a proper trailer brand that matches nicely that size rib. About engine, will say that if a 20 HP is used on same size sib and rib, the rib will have much better water performance due to its hard hull,

Those Oceanruner does not have huge diam tubes nor deep V keel so a 20 HP will perform very well provided that passengers are evenly distributed on deck and engine sits at the sweet transom height which accounts for best top water performance.

Max HP for that light size rib is 40 HP, but that's to transport 8 passengers which is not your particular case, so a 20 HP for just 3-4 will do the trick. Anyway, you wouldn't want a heavier engine if planing to place and retrieve it from transom everytime the combo is used.

Unless you have a engine stand and ear muffs to first start the engine, sit engine on transom and test it once rib is floating prior going on its maiden voyage.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ba_fisher

Cadet
To test whether I can actually drive a boat, I rented a boat with a feeble 8hp motor a few days ago, and it was really really slow. In fact, wind was blowing us at about the same speed as the boat can go by itself.

So I am definitely going to get the strongest motor that I can muscle, just for the peace of mind.

weimed, do you know how fast the Merc 430 can go with a 30hp 4 stroke?

ba_fisher

Cadet
Also, I thought about the console, but a rigged Merc 430 with a console is going for about $15000, and with a few grands more I can get a Zodiac Bay Runner 430, which is a lot nicer. And with a little bit more I can get a Zodiac Bay Runner 500, so I may as well get the 500.

But again, I want to go cheap for my first boat (limit boat + motor to under $8000). What should I do with this dilemma?

G

To test whether I can actually drive a boat, I rented a boat with a feeble 8hp motor a few days ago, and it was really really slow. In fact, wind was blowing us at about the same speed as the boat can go by itself.

So I am definitely going to get the strongest motor that I can muscle, just for the peace of mind.

weimed, do you know how fast the Merc 430 can go with a 30hp 4 stroke?

Searider has a boat load more experience then me when it comes to boating but i would estimate that 430 with a good 30hp motor probabably between 30-35mph Maybe more. I would not recommend tiller at those speeds because you will be thrown out of your boat really fast at those speeds and a little chop. Most people with tiller motors sit on the tube instead of the bench due to comfort. You can buy a steering console fairly cheap. I looked at iboats but no consoles matched a rib like yours so i looked around and this one will fit your boat and the glass guard will keep water out of your face 1350506092831-1940036175.jpeg

I looked for something like this for iboat but they dont have it. at speeds of 30mph you want a setup like this. Very doable for a 430 and will not require a lot of money. You can find a preowned setup like this between 4-5k. I would suggest to buy something from iboats but they only sell zodiac and the selection sucks. they can make some serious moves if they get a nice selection of merc, avon and ribs (including foldable ribs for us type of guys who have to keep our boats deflated) instead of an autotrader type marketplace with prices from planet mars. Sorry had to add in the last line due to biased moderators on the site which will probably delete this post before you even see it.
thisone.JPG

Attachments

• 1350506092831-1940036175.jpeg
    1350506092831-1940036175.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Try to have a look at a 430 with centre console, it's not just the CC but the back seat as well, both takes away huge available deck space. The rib size will depend on the number of passengers you will transport and how fast you intend to go so to pick the right HP engine that suits better your boating needs. For fishing, personally will leave that 430 completely open and for family leisure with a center console.

Not an issue tiller driving ribs which are more water stable than sibs, anyway you can adjust tiller load to make it harder to steer. With some outings along learning curve will tame the beast...You decide open or with center console.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A few pieces of advice.
Make sure you have a place to keep a trailer
Hoteling a boat gets old quick
Get the largest boat you can afford but stay under 15 feet

Understand that a 4 stroke outboard is a lot heavier than a 2 stroke outboard

Find a good dealer that also provides service for your boat
You will need service from time to time

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will add that the larger the rib grows so will the diam tubes along having a wider & much heavier hull to deal with, not to mention that wiill requiere much more HP engine if going for its full passenger cargo as stated on its tech plate. My actual rescue 430 rib looks famished compared to the new buxom 450 that should be undergoing its maiden voyage very soon...

Happy Boating

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Last edited:

ba_fisher

Cadet
My garage can keep a 18' boat (with folding tongue on the trailer) and my van can pull 3500lb, so that should be plenty for the ribs that I am looking at right now.

I agree that used boats are a good value and a much nicer proposition if I decide that I don't want a boat after all (this is from someone who flipped 4 cars in the past 7 years ... ouch!).

Still undecided what to get.

A small RIB is easy to launch, cheap, and can get me enough fish that my whole family can eat. But I have to stay near shore. (Pacific Ocean near San Francisco)

A bigger boat (I am looking at a 17ft fiberglass walk-around boat with a small cabin and a porta potty) can take more people, go farther, give me shelter, get tons of fish that will rot in in fridge, and much more hassle to set up, tow, launch and store.

Used boats in Florida are so plentiful and cheap (both RIBs and traditional boats), but I live in CA. I'll try to look at the ads in Los Angeles and San Diego to find deals as good as the ones ssobol posted.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
You should consider boats outside of your immediate area if you can. Sometimes getting a boat somewhere else and hauling it home can work out more economically than buying locally (even including all the costs). I know of someone who makes a decent living buying used boats in FL and hauling them back to the Midwest for resale.

In places like FL there are a lot of old fishermen and boaters. Once one of them dies, the survivor just wants the boat gone.