Finally! Boating in Arizona

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the boat out for the first time at near sea level. WOW, what a difference then mile high! Two aboard, hit throttle and it popped up on plane almost immediately! 23 mph @ 6200 RPM. Had a slight porpose so I had my wife, which always lounges in the bow, move back a foot or so. Planed out nice, smooth and level. Have a StingRay fin on and I may get a little more speed without it but it gets up tp plane so fast and easy I hate to remove it. Also have an 8" prop I could try in place of the 10" but have all winter to play and expearament.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
What were you reaching 2 up at altitude??? I thought it was about the same??? Is the difference only time to plane or is top end also faster? I have been waiting for you to get to Arizona almost as impatiently as you have. lol. I was hoping to hear 25 but I guess 2 up 24ish isn't too bad. I hope you get a chance to go one up (Sorry Mrs. ChopperBill, to see what your speed is solo :)

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recall top speed solo at 5300' was 22mph with stingray. But, I could only get about 5800 rpm out of it. When I took my brother out at times it would not plane unless we got real creative with seating positions and could only get about 5300 rpm. The little extra HP I'm getting here makes a world fo difference. Have 3 1/2 months to play with stingray, prop and solo riding. Right now I'm am expearamenting with the Saturn iboat seat frame. After install and boating awhile it always want to shift over and my seat get up against the tube and I can't swivel. Had that problem in Colorado also. Very annoying. I may just end up taking all seating out and sit on the floor. That's the way Renee likes it anyway.
On edit: have just over 10 hours on the motor. Sure it will get better when it loosens up some.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Just don't overrev that engine when playing with prop pitch at full throttle. You have experimented for yourself that altitude plays hard against top engine water performance compared to sea level performance.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
All was done with Singray Jr. Hydrafoil.
Changed to a 8" prop and went solo. What a disaster! No chance to over rev. It has a rev limiter that it bounced off of easily. 18 mph with me alone.
Beached and put on 10" prop. Previously had set seat back about 6-8 inches. Big mistake. No weight in bow, WOT, transome back splash. A measly 21 mph. Did trim changes with little difference. Was doing 23 with wife aboard.
Surmised boat is too light and plows with no weight up front. Real disappointed.
Going to relocate my seat. Remove Stingray, load up wife and see what it does. Real curious about Stingray performance.

Oops! Forgot to add my navigator slipped up and sent me into shallow water. Bent 10" prop. Slowed our speed 2-3 mph. Hammered it back to shape and filed off rough edges. It looks pretty good. Think I did any damage only a new prop will remedy?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If your engine is healthy, correct rated for that size inflatable, sits at the sweet transom height, is well trimmed, tubes and keel are properly inflated to its working pressure and weight is evenly distributed on deck you don't need a hydrofoil. Besides are kelp, garbage collectors. If hydrofoil fins does not ride parellel to sea level once boat is on plane will slow you down a bit as will create extra drag on fin.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are on the Cololrado river, just south of the Parker dam. Great place.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Darn. bad news on the prop. Hopefully no real damage. A bunch of us did that this summer... Demolished bridge pilings right outside the channel... ouch!! Would have thought you'd be much faster solo. even with light weight that boat should be skimming along with just you.
I can do 21/ 22 with just me and my 2001 2stroke johnson

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, got the seat assy moved up 8" and gas tank and 8# anchor moved up some also. May try find a way to secure the tank and anchor even farther forward. With wife aboard it planes nice and smooth with no water splash. Alone it has to be a big weight distribution problem. Motor only has 15 hours on it and not really broken in, there may be a horse power or so hiding in a looser motor.
What do you guys use to secure your tank and other stuff in the boat? I have no D rings mounted inside to hook too.
Oh, forgot to add that the stingray is off with I'm sure is good for a couple of hp. It's too windy to go out. May be a couple of days before I can test it.

Last edited:

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bungee cord tied to the tow ring in front and strapped to the tank will hold it in place. If you have a hard floor added O or D ringsI also glued a couple extra tie downs spots to mine. I may have a pic somewhere. I hope you find a way to corral those extra ponies!!!

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, got out and the river wasn't completely calm due to boar traffic. Without Stingray, riding solo this thing is a planing POS! No way to take off without the bow going almost straight up in the air. Several folks on the beach said they thought I was going over backwards. One guy that is a retired captain of huge freight liners said the only cure is to put a long pole on the tiller and get my weight up front. I played with trim and moving up as far as I could still holding the tiller until I got completely frustrated so I believe he is correct. I got to 24 mph but that was no better than I did two up. Was going to leave stingray off and try two aboard but it planed and rode so good before I just bolted it back on. Going to look for one of those tiller extension just to see what I can do but I have come to the conclusion with such a light boat any change is in weight it going to through it off and you are back to the drawing board.
There are several inflatable around here and I never see them going faster than 10-15 mph, surely there has to be a reason for that.

Last edited:

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can assure you the guys up here that can run 20+ mom do! Weimd and myself go everywhere wot at 21-23mph. Me at 21 and him at 23.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can assure you the guys up here that can run 20+ mom do! Weimd and myself go everywhere wot at 21-23mph. Me at 21 and him at 23.
Yeah this thing will do 23-24 riding two up. Thinking a tiller extension and moving my seat up to the middle will cure this thing of the evil goings on running solo. I was hoping for 26-28 riding solo, it's got to be in the set up I'll just have to find it.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Out going double with dog. No Stingray. My seat as far up as I can set with comfortable operation. No amount of trim adjustment will keep it from a porpose. 14 mph it smooths out. Check water going over lower unit. Rinding just below deflection plate. Over transom splash at times. With stingray WOT no porpose. Over transome splash at a minimum. Stingray staying on.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the suggestion Alan, but not throwing any more money at this boat. Was trying to get into the boat thing cheap. I would rather save my money and get one of those foldable RIBS.