short shaft or long shaft outboard for my Avon

mansters

Cadet
I save this dinghy avon 11'6 from a marina, since then i spruce it up and its been my fishing boat
I used it at a local lakes quite a few time last summer, and i ran a 3.5hp outboard (gamefisher)
the boat ran and cruise nice with that set up, I overhauled a 9.5hp Johnson short shaft Ran the boat but it ran awful kick up too much water and
and really didn't cruise nice through the water,
The 3.5hp has a longer shaft, and I want to upgrade to a 15hp and want to make sure i get the right outboard set up

Attachments

• photo212621.jpg
    photo212621.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Does that dingy have a built in transom at back ? Is you water splash problem out or over transom ?

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I save this dinghy avon 11'6 from a marina, since then i spruce it up and its been my fishing boat
I used it at a local lakes quite a few time last summer, and i ran a 3.5hp outboard (gamefisher)
the boat ran and cruise nice with that set up, I overhauled a 9.5hp Johnson short shaft Ran the boat but it ran awful kick up too much water and
and really didn't cruise nice through the water,
The 3.5hp has a longer shaft, and I want to upgrade to a 15hp and want to make sure i get the right outboard set up

It should be Short Shaft
What is the model number on the transoms plate.
Avon is Part of Zodiac
Most of the sibs 12 feet and under require short shaft outboards.
I can't imagine how much drag a long shaft would have being used instead of a short shaft

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
As we have seen already, sometimes it's impossible to achieve a perfect height match between a short shaft transom and a short shaft engine. Short shaft transoms range between 38 to 41 cm, height will depend entirely on tube diam and manufacturer. Same with engines, some brands will peform nicely once seated on transoms, some may not.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

mansters

Cadet
Thanks Folks for the Info
I do have the right set up with the Short shaft, My fault, the time i used it i went out on my own and didnt balance things out my seat frame was set way to far back
as for when i took the 3.5hp outboard i have someone else with me
right now I place the boat and outboard for sale as im upgrading for a larger boat hopefully the zodiac F470 or similar so i can carry more people