Running dual 4 stroke outboards

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is for people who can't get new 2 stroke outboards.

Due to the weight of the new 4 stroke outboards we are now being forced to downsize our outboards.
I just saw a rib running duals and they told me they copied this

http://youtu.be/imHPsUMn3g8

Weight wise it may make sense for those of us that can't carry the heavy 4 strokes.
It also addresses the back up outboard issue we discussed last year.
Has anybody tried this

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
(2) 5 HP engines does not add up to a single 10HP engine, you still have (2) 5 HP engines delivering twice torque than single one, which will account for faster plane or move heavier loads compared to a single 5 HP unit.

OTOH, a 5HP is just 102 CC x 2 = 204 CC compared to a 10 HP which is 250 CC, there's a 46 CC big difference.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 20hp fuel injected Suzuki weighs 97lbs. 15-25 lbs less than most 20 hp carbed models. That was made my final decision. Can just man handle it alone to the boat, but have to be caucuses.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Two lower units create much more drag in the water than one. Two 10 HP motors will never have the speed of a single 20 and that is ignoring the extra weight on the transom.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Two lower units create much more drag in the water than one.

If water flow at speed passes right under small upper water deflector plate which is located right above lower leg's sharp angle of attack not an issue, having double engine torque will compensate and offset the slight more drag. Only achievable with dual engines top performing at the sweet transom height and provided that separation between both matches the factory recommended installation distance.

Happy Boating