Need advice about what to buy; Saturn SD330 or Zodiac Zoom 310S

1fxstbi

Recruit
Hello all,
Newbie here, I have a Mercury 9.9 four stroke short shaft outboard and I'd like to get an inflatable for it. I'm tossed up between the Saturn and the Zodiac. Never having one can I get some opinions on what would be the better choice? We (wife and I) will be using it in some salt water near the gulf and fresh water lakes, doing some fishing and just cruising. I just want something safe and that will handle the OB I already have. I would like to keep my purchase under a thousand dollars. Thanks in advance!

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the 365 and like it pretty much. However, my biggest grip is the rear bench seat is located too close to the transome. Makes it tough to control the tiller. I put in the seat frame and cured that, however I had to remove the front bench because it was in my way then. If you are not stuck on undered a thousand you can get the Saturn Azzurro Mare for a couple of hindered more. Heaver material, five year warranty, more bow room and bench seats are spaced further from the transome. I learned all this after I purchased. I would buy the Azzuro now. No nothing about Zodiac but I wasn't overly impressed with them. Had two guys say they were not any better than any others. But we know what opinions are like.
Link attached for the Azzurro

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Although the AM are much better sibs than standard ones, bear in mind that all their models have air decks, nice thing about them is that weight much less than a traditional wooren or alum floor, can be inflated and removed quickly. Down issue is that air decks need to be inflated to 12-14 PSI high pressure in order to achieve best water performance. If not, there will be too much deck flexing against water which will increment hull drag, worst if counting with a underpowered engine for that size sib.

Will need a high pressure pump to inflate that air deck accordingly along a hand or foot pump for reinflation topping purposes as air decks tend to lose pressure throughout the boating day. What was morning top inflated to will not remain same during afternoon.

Hard panel floors achieves much better water ride. Downissue, are heavier and bulkier than air decks, demands more time assembling and disassembling work. So check what suits you well and which sib you'll be comfortable with.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

1fxstbi

Recruit
Thanks for the information guys . Can I assume that both brands are similar quality? It seems like the Zodiac is available everywhere and the Saturn is only sold by a few places (that I can find). From everything I've read I think I would prefer the wood floor just to have that "solid" feel under me. Quality and safety is my primary concern between the two.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Both brands are 0.9 mm pvc material, wooden or alum flooring will make the boating difference, go for a roomier Zoom 340, perfect for a 9.9 and + HP.

Happy Boating

G

I own the 350s and i take back all the negative things i ever said about it. I beat the hell out of it this year and held up well with miner hiccups. Only issue i had was the original glue that attached transom and left tube started coming off. I used STABond and its holding like a champ. Been in some rough waters this past 1.5 months and holding strong. other little hiccup is its leaking a very little bit of air from left valve (nothing major go out all day and do not notice the difference. I won't even repair it until i start noticing soft tubes). Just be prepared to maintain the boat yourself because the dealer will not repair anything because its glued and not thermowelded, They call them cheap chinese inflatables (saturn is glued also). 3 dealers refused to touch it. Like i said i inflate and deflate every time i go out and so far 1 1/2 years holding strong.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
AverageAirPressure.jpg Going to have to say something else as an after thought after purchase. Had I known I was going to leave mine inflated all summer until I took it down to AZ for the winter which it will stay inflated for 4 months I would have bought a solid floor. Saturn has aluminum or air for replacement, and use to have wood but I see they discontinued those. I believe my air floor is more comfortable for lounging on especially after I added carpet. As Sea Rider said the air floor gets soft when it is cooler. I carry the air pump with me and have no problem airing it up in the water. Keel also gets soft. Saturn only recomends 8.7 PSI inflation or 10 PSI max, easy to do with the hand pump. Sea RIder may be right on 12 to 14 PSI but I am not sure I should approach that pressure. What say you guys?

Attachments

• AverageAirPressure.jpg
    AverageAirPressure.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Deck pressure will depend entirely on the sib brand, you have standard and heavy duty air floors. For standard 10-12 will suffice, bear in mind than an air deck it's not a balloon that will burst, unless has inside failing isssues, has millions of crissed crossef fibers inside which holds great pressure.

An air deck is a low volume hard pressure floor, anyway, no matter to which pressure you inflate an air deck, as soon sib is placed on water, specially cold ones, max pressure will decrease accordingly. Manufacturers protects themselves specifying much less psi than an air deck will hold with no issues specially if being brand new.

The factory with whom I work with used to make 360-380 air decks too, too much customer complaints about very poor water performances due to poor deck inflation, now have limited air floor sibs for tender purposes to max 320 sizes.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

1fxstbi

Recruit
All good info and it is much appreciated. Right now I'm leaning towards the Zodiac with the solid floor; iBoats has a great price and free shipping.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Confused. Thought you wanted to spend under a thousand bucks. Saturn 330 is $950 plus $69 shipping That Zodiiac is over $1700, what am I missing here?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If liking the Saturn brand, check if air deck models can be turned into hard floor ones by buying a spare hard deck set, or probably trading the air deck for the hard floor ?

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
SR Aluminum deck can be purchase for $250 to $300. Not bad but not in my retirement budget.

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you are going to get a Zodiac, I suggest you get one of the Fast Roller series.
They are Thermowelded and not glued
They are higher end than the Zooms and are made in France and not China.
They also come with a 5 year warranty for PVC, 10 year hypalon

Last edited:

1fxstbi

Recruit
Confused. Thought you wanted to spend under a thousand bucks. Saturn 330 is $950 plus $69 shipping That Zodiiac is over $1700, what am I missing here?

The Saturn total is 1019.00 (that's close enough to a grand) and the Zodiac 310S is 899.00 and free shipping here on IBoats. I'm ordering the Zodiac. Thanks all for the great information.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Saturn total is 1019.00 (that's close enough to a grand) and the Zodiac 310S is 899.00 and free shipping here on IBoats. I'm ordering the Zodiac. Thanks all for the great information.

Sorry, I just looked up a zodiac 310 and it shows its 1749.00. Stick the S behind it and yours comes up 899.00. One little letter and it cost ya another $800. LOL

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Hello all,
Newbie here, I have a Mercury 9.9 four stroke short shaft outboard and I'd like to get
an inflatable for it. I'm tossed up between the Saturn and the Zodiac. Never having one can I get some opinions on what would be the better choice? We (wife and I) will be using it in some salt water near the gulf and fresh water lakes, doing some fishing and just cruising. I just want something safe and that will handle the OB I already have. I would like to keep my purchase under a thousand dollars. Thanks in advance![/QUOT

Hi there.
I am new member here. My friend has a zodiac and he and i have used it for maybe 6 or 7 years running up the Kentucky RIver. I know his boat pretty well. I recently bought a used saturn mini cat off of the cincinnati craigs list (500 bucks). What the heck ya know. Took it out today for the fith time today and there is absolutely k ow difference. Granted, i have only had it out five times. Let me tell you, i bought the mini cat 10 foot. I am 207lbs and with limited gear it struggled to step up. Thats saying something when your running a 4 hp. I did 13 to 14 mph which would blow my friends boat away. I hear the 8hp 2 stroke will bring you plus 20 mph with 2 passengers. Its a great boat so far. I love how you can beach and just walk right off the bow.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If planning going for a 2 stroke engine, try to find a Tohatsu 9.8, it's same size and weight as a detuned 8 HP. Stands alone on its class, will plane the cat much better than any other 8 HP engine.

Happy Boating

1fxstbi

Recruit
Sorry, I just looked up a zodiac 310 and it shows its 1749.00. Stick the S behind it and yours comes up 899.00. One little letter and it cost ya another $800. LOL

I just hope the "S" doesn't stand for s#$t! (I understand the 310S is made is China and the other model is French)

G

Zooms is a off brand Zodiac made to compete with the cheap chinese sibs. the Cadet is a better thermowelded, (as ronald said) much better build quality. No Inflatable boat dealer wanted to touch my zoom for repairs. If you have a fair amount of handyman skills you can repair the minor issues yourself. Based on my little 2 year experience is, Zoom will last me about 2 more years which will be a total of 4 years (inflated and deflated at least 20 times a year). My friend had a mercury 340 and went for 6 years and still holding strong. He sold it to his brother and bought a saturn 365. His saturn is less then a year old and giving him hell. If i was to do it all over again, i would find a decent used boat for 4-600 bucks, use it for 1-2 years gain experience and then make a big purchase with an educated decision. (BUY A BOAT WITH HARD FLOOR YOU WILL THANK ME LATER)

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Zooms is a off brand Zodiac made to compete with the cheap chinese sibs. the Cadet is a better thermowelded, (as ronald said) much better build quality. No Inflatable boat dealer wanted to touch my zoom for repairs. If you have a fair amount of handyman skills you can repair the minor issues yourself. Based on my little 2 year experience is, Zoom will last me about 2 more years which will be a total of 4 years (inflated and deflated at least 20 times a year). My friend had a mercury 340 and went for 6 years and still holding strong. He sold it to his brother and bought a saturn 365. His saturn is less then a year old and giving him hell. If i was to do it all over again, i would find a decent used boat for 4-600 bucks, use it for 1-2 years gain experience and then make a big purchase with an educated decision. (BUY A BOAT WITH HARD FLOOR YOU WILL THANK ME LATER)

I think the whole issue with the floor is something we all must learn.
It is more of an issue if you are forced to use a 4 stroke outboard.
A hard bottom boat needs a smaller outboard

For most people
The goal is to find the most boat they can get that is car transportable without a trailer