What is your experience with a Saturn Kaboat 12-14 feet long and trolling motor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koln5

Recruit
Hi folks...Im looking to buy a Kaboat...which is a crossover between a kayak and a regular inflatable boat.

I have a 60 pound thrust trolling motor and I want to flyfish on a lake and river...I need to be able to navigate upstream of the river, but I don't have to go fast...my questions are these;

1. Should I get a Kaboat over a wider inflatable because of the less drag ?
2. Am I able to stand in a Kaboat and flyfish...what is your experience ?
3. Can I have another person in the boat with me ?

Thank you !

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

-If you will be using that boat on calm flat stuaries, lakes, ponds, rivers go for it, if at sea, go for a standard sib.
-Being narrow and longer will have less hull drag compared to same size lenght sib, engine will push better.
-As advertized good for fishing, no experience whatsoever with narrow inflatables. I'm a sib/rib lover and don't fish.
-Those K-boats have 2-3 seats, so can carry 2-3 boaters as well.

Happy Boating

koln5

Recruit
Thank you Sea Rider...anybody else have experience with Kaboats ?

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
One guy on here that I can't remember has a lot of posts on his K boat. Might do a search

BIGSTARCRAFT

Cadet
I have the wider SK470... I use a 55lb thrust in small lakes & canals and it moves it just fine.. I use a 6 HP for all else. I usually only float down the rivers so I am not sure how an electric would hold up against current.. If I were to fish the bigger rivers I would use the OB. As for standing you can do it but you need good balance.. You could rig up some type of PVC leaning post for flycasting... 2 people in a 12 would be fine.. Myself and 2 boys work well in my 15'..

float_zpsf1ae772a.jpg

Last edited:

volkeith

Seaman Apprentice
I have the wider SK470... I use a 55lb thrust in small lakes & canals and it moves it just fine.. I use a 6 HP for all else. I usually only float down the rivers so I am not sure how an electric would hold up against current.. If I were to fish the bigger rivers I would use the OB. As for standing you can do it but you need good balance.. You could rig up some type of PVC leaning post for flycasting... 2 people in a 12 would be fine.. Myself and 2 boys work well in my 15'..

float_zpsf1ae772a.jpg

That's nice. What can of speed can you get with the 6hp?

rromeo923

Cadet

float_zpsf1ae772a.jpg

I am looking into a Kaboat or basically the same thing by Bris. I would be using in a nearby lake with electric trolling motor (no gas allowed). I would also want to use it in the Potomac River and am concerned about rocks and shallows with the motor. So if no motor I was wondering how your boat handles/rows down a river with class II/III rapids. I am used to a sit on top kayak but looking for more portability and room and hoping this will be the answer.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can answer your questions with 3 words. No,no,no. I owned a 14ft kaboat and they are complete garbage. Mine started leaking on the tube seams within 4 months. They are not stable at all. You will have twice as much room in a standard 10ft inflatable. Get your self a zodiac or if you want something a little nicer then go with an Achilles. I have logged over 250 hours on my Achilles this year with a 10hp engine and it is still in perfect condition and I do not baby it. You never get more than you pay for when you buy an inflatable and even a cheep inflatable when it's all said and done is going to cost a lot. Haha just realized this thread is 2 years old lol. Oh well better late than never.

Status
Not open for further replies.