1989 Nissan NX102 SIB

boatnerd

Cadet
Hey guys,

First post here, but I've been reading a lot on this forum as I prepare to make the jump from kayak to inflatable ownership. I was originally planning on buying a new Zodiac 260 or 310 model but came upon a local used boat that piqued my interest. It's a 1989 Nissan NX102 inflatable, hypalon construction, 10' 2" long and lightly used with only a few minor abrasions, no leaks or patches.

I haven't seen the boat in person (yet) but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these boats and can direct me in terms of construction quality/durability and if I should even be considering something this old; not much info on the net. It's a good price and comes with a low hour Nissan motor though so I'm very tempted. Use would be in flat water to 1-1.5ft chop and about 5hp.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Nissan definitely does not fabricate sibs/ribs nor engines. Probably could be a rebadged Achilles brand. A plus if being hypalon. You are about to buy a 25 year oldie. Hypalon fabrics lasts good 25-30 years. If fabric is not dried, cracked, floor is in good cond could be a nice priced alternative. What's the asking price, wich HP is the engine ? Can you post some combo pics.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's a first entry level sib, forgot to add, if fabric is not porous, doesn't have peeled haypalon layer, even small one on tubes, go for it. Being such an oldie and before throwing myself into tthe blue, would do a soappy overall tube test to be sure there's no air leaks on tubes, seams, air valves. A 5 HP alone should be around 1.5K. You decide...

Happy Boating

boatnerd

Cadet
My plan for this boat would be fairly regular use throughout the ice free months in up to 1.5' chop (Burlington Bay/Hamilton Harbour Ontario if anyone is familiar with it) with about 5 hp. Would say a 10 year oldish hypalon boat be better suited than a new or lightly used PVC boat (Zodiac zoom or cadet) to being deflated/inflated at each use? Which would hold up better to the constant pressure changes? I understand the difference between the two materials and that the hypalon boat would have glued seems while the pvc on would likely be thermo welded.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A Hypalon sib would be better suited if will live constantly outdoors in tropical climates in wich radiation is an issue. Standard hypalon sibs have 06-07 mm fabrics compared now a days standard 0.9 mm fabrics. Not an issue if constantly will be inflated or defleated, but is much preffered to remain inflated than boxed if it will be stored on a long time term. If both fabrics are in top condition, with sun, both should remain at constant inflated pressures and experience a deflation pressure when sun no longer heats up.

What was inflated to 3.0 PSI in the morning will not remain inflated at same pressure during afternoon, will need a re inflation for sib to keep performing well as in the morning. Hypalon sibs are hand glued, PVC, Polyurethane sibs can be hand gluied or thermo welded, will depend entirelyn on the manufacturer brand.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Hey guys,

First post here, but I've been reading a lot on this forum as I prepare to make the jump from kayak to inflatable ownership. I was originally planning on buying a new Zodiac 260 or 310 model but came upon a local used boat that piqued my interest. It's a 1989 Nissan NX102 inflatable, hypalon construction, 10' 2" long and lightly used with only a few minor abrasions, no leaks or patches.

I haven't seen the boat in person (yet) but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these boats and can direct me in terms of construction quality/durability and if I should even be considering something this old; not much info on the net. It's a good price and comes with a low hour Nissan motor though so I'm very tempted. Use would be in flat water to 1-1.5ft chop and about 5hp.

It's Toyo fabric. Did you have a specific question about it?

boatnerd

Cadet
I was mostly concerned about it's longevity considering the age. I would be inflating/deflating at every use and this would be relatively frequent throughout the year. I know everything would be dependent on the specific boat's condition. Information I have found does seem to indicate it has an inflatable keel, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

boatnerd

Cadet
Another question, as I narrow my options I am curious if there is a material difference in performance (read speed) for a boat this size (10' 2") between a 4.5 and 7.5hp motor or is this a question of diminishing returns?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
All sibs have a lower infltable keel under floorboards, unless being a slat or an air deck model, which is not your particular case. Seems that you haven't bough it yet, right ? Go for the higher HP engine will push that sib much better than the 4.5 HP.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Like all Hypalon it can last anywhere up to 30 years. However, it is at the end of it's service life even if it has been little used and well maintained. It does have a keel and it used the Achilles air valves. A 4.5 hp engine might get the boat up on plane with a single person and a 7.5 should, in theory, be able to get two people up on plane. Just keep in mind that the two engine sizes you have given are either antique engines or Chinese junk. Either way they would be suspect as to their ability to develop their respect hp.