Hangkai 2.0/ 3.5

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to hear input from Hangkai owners, looking for honest reviews. Well, i better qualify that, most reviews i read online are clearly written by folks that have no mechanical ability whatsoever.. Im looking for reviews from folks that have owned a few different outboards. Im looking to power my two Intex boats and this would appear to be just the right size. (The only down side i can see is the hub/clutch,.. But it is functional enough) (I look at this little motor as a bare bones FUNCTIONAL tool, no bells/ whistles, but i dont need that..) Want a Toh'3.5 but its not gonna happen. $245 on ebay its worth a shot. (I have minn kota and battery(s), and you are very very limited with DC power,.. Its just that simple) Thanks, discuss

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
In order to get a proper tech answer about its quality would need to find one from a boater that has mechanical skills, deals with OB's or is a mechanic to evaluate the overall engine quality and performance. Simple boaters could have divided opinions.

The rewievs are real awful, why do you want to experiment by yourself going for one ? are spare parts, tech service, warranty available ? Money is well Invested going for a simple, world proven reliable Tohatsu 3.5, don't throw money into the blue...

Happy Boating

G

It's funny that these OB is only on available ebay or aliexpress. NO reputable dealer sells them such as cabela, Dicks or any marina/boat dealer. If that does not mean anything to you then go ahead a try it. Reason most people do not have experience with it is because nobody wants to touch it with a 10ft pole

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have read that they work fine for the first couple hours but then all the complaints start showing up. I have seen many outboards on cl for around the same price and they are all name brands that you can at least get parts for. Not to mention, if you care for the environment at all.... Those things are filthy

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
In order to get a proper tech answer about its quality would need to find one from a boater that has mechanical skills, deals with OB's or is a mechanic to evaluate the overall engine quality and performance. Simple boaters could have divided opinions. The rewievs are real awful, why do you want to experiment by yourself going for one ? are spare parts, tech service, warranty available ? Money is well Invested going for a simple, world proven reliable Tohatsu 3.5, don't throw money into the blue... Happy Boating
They are $245 to the door, parts are readily available, the reviews are awful- mmm, not from what i have viewed. The negative reviews i read i could tell the person was not at all outboard inclined, or his buddies shamed him for buying Chinese and he was just being negative for negativity's sake. I have found some really very good reviews. I dont submit to the dont buy chinese drama- i buy what i please.. Most folks spewing that nonsense are full of ka ka anyway, just look around their home... I just dont lie about it. I would LOVE a tohat' 3.5, dont have $1,000 for one though. Bad little buggars! I love em! $245 for a used FUNCTIONAL outboard thats not all ragged out, no, not around here. Im not buying an early 70's motor just to avoid a new Chinese motor, thats just silly. I have had three OMC's, late 60's one a 72, and an 82, GREAT MOTORS, expensive parts. Im powering an inflatable, just fishing, no life safety here, breaks i can troll home with the Minn Kota. Shoot, hoping to talk to somebody that had one. (Not that i dont appreciate the replies- i hear ya..) BTW, !! There's a Merc 3.5 RIGHT NOW on Ebay in like new condition, 4 stroke, 2007.. Pick up only.. Near Chicago Current and only bid, $225!! :0

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
Amazon sells them, Amazon is not a shady site. If i have good reviews of mine your gonna be curious though i bet! LOL, i mean $245 to the door, Yingshang, YOUR SUCH A GOOD BOY!!

Last edited:

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
I have read that they work fine for the first couple hours but then all the complaints start showing up. I have seen many outboards on cl for around the same price and they are all name brands that you can at least get parts for. Not to mention, if you care for the environment at all.... Those things are filthy
A 3.5 hp two cycle outboard used three- four times a year is?.... Ahh never mind LOL

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry if my replies are snarky :) Its just always funny to hear such negativity about a product no one has ever seen, all you gotta to is at some point mention the dreaded "C" word.. LOL Well shoot- i'm going to get one, just for curiosity and well, IM POOR.. (Exaggerating) I'll post a review, it'll be spring though, right on, thanks guys, be safe.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't have issues with PRCH OB's, down issue with them is that most are exact replicas of world proven Jap models. To make them price attractive and client affordable too much plastic parts are employed, their metalurgy, mechanical & electrical components are not the best quality compared to USA or Jap OB's, price difference usually leads to sacryfiying engine longevity. If boating very infrequently, initial purchase definitely will be a deciding factor...

Happy Boating

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
The 3.5 im looking at (from what i research) is not the Yammy copy (unfortunately).. We'll see, probably be fine. Hell both my Intex boats have been gems, i just love em.

Wanna make a floor for the Seahawk this winter.

I got the patching and repair down, once you got that down your set.

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
I have been researching this some more. It looks like i'm off the Hangkai. (They likely are just fine more than likely..) but i stumbled onto a contact for Hyfong that has been very helpful although in broken english.. (So what, i dont speak any Chinese)

So this fella emails me the manuals for the 3.5 and the 6.0 Hyfong. Every question i asked he answered, he even quoted me lower prices than i could find anywhere else (i'll have to set up a PayPal account though)

He did concede that the Hyfong 3.5 and 6.0 are in fact based on the older "Merc-Hatsu" ;) two stroke technology, and i have done somewhat exhaustive google images research and i dont feel this "Trae" was misleading me, the photos dont lie.

So, i'm looking forward to March to order one of the two, the Hyfong (Chinese MercHatsu) 3.5 or the 6.0,.. More than likely the 6hp.

(Oh, the 3.5 was $245 to the door, and the 6HP was $645 to the door)

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Brian,

Smooth and noisy..That 3.5 is a near hybrid of a 3.5 + 5 Merc-Hatsu rather than a exact 3.5 copy. How about spare ´parts and warranty if any ?

Happy Boating

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
Brian,

Smooth and noisy..That 3.5 is a near hybrid of a 3.5 + 5 Merc-Hatsu rather than a exact 3.5 copy. How about spare ´parts and warranty if any ?

Happy Boating

Oh i dont think its an exact copy, its a darned good copy though. Noisy?, i guess you have had some real quiet motors, the motor in the video is pleasant sounding to me.

Yeah the warranty is what it is, its just a tech support line, the help you over the phone and send you free parts to your door. (Its a $245 good little motor, thats part of the reason its so affordable. Your NOT paying for a Cadillac warranty. (Its just built into the prices, thats a big part of why the other brands are so darned high- your paying for the Cadillac warranty)

I'm going to try the 3.5, well in March like i said.. (The Hyfong)

(BTW, i fished from a Pelican boat today and hammerred a bbbbbig bass, second largest of my life.. 8~9 lbs. really didnt fight like i might had thought, probably an old, old fish here in St.Louis.

(Where i was going with that.. Being on various small craft this summer, LOL,.. The hualing we do back and forth to the truck WOW- im out of shape- GIVE ME THE LIGHTER MOTOR (3.5 vs 6hp)