Hydrofoil stabilizer two engines not space

erick11s

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a Caribe 17 feet with 2 engines Suzuky 50 hp each, I Want to install a Hidrofoil stabilizer, but the boat do not have space betewen the to engines , I think to cut the hidrofoil in the center And install one part in the right engines out side And the anotaré part in the Lefth engine out side too, I think WILL work? SOME BODY HAVE BETTER IDEA OR A EXPERIENCE IN THIS CASE.? Thanks in advance ERICK

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Erick,

What are you trying to accomplish installing double doel fins on double engine set ups ?

Is rib hard to plane, have unwanted back transom water splashes.

What's the max HP the17 footer is transom rated for ?

Happy Boating

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You won't be able to do that with success if you try with a one piece foil like a Stingray. It should be easy to do with a Doel foil, which is to seperate foils.
That type might be fine using two on each engine though as they don't extend as far back or out to the sides.

jester31

Banned
Having twin cavitation plates on the motors should replace a hydrofoil? But, if you're not satisfied, I think the Doel fin is gonna be the most compact hydrofoil, and 2 might fit?

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Added unbalanced drag on one side of the engines will have a bad effect on things.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Twin engine installation must have a minimum transom space between both engines. Each OB brands states its parameters and may differ between OB brands. If engines sits at the sweet transom height spot no need to install doel fins, it's just a matter of correct engine/transom height, well distributed weight on deck and correct trim setting while boat is on plane parallel to water level. As an example, the owner of this 48 footer does not know a bit about boating perfection.

P1200844.JPG

Happy Boating

Last edited: