safety check

pgnyc

Seaman
hello,
so yesterday when boating with kids.
when i came back , i wanted to tilt the motor up but it was difficult, after check in , i saw that the Thrust rod was dislodged.
I do not know how and when, but it was half way out ! And it was hard to put it back.

Will have to add that on my check list !!!

Pascal

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Would you mind taking a picture of that so the new people would no what they are looking at and for

pgnyc

Seaman
Would you mind taking a picture of that so the new people would no what they are looking at and for

this is the part No 1 , it is to change the trim angle position !!!

thrust rod .pngthrust rod tohatsu 2.jpg

Attachments

• thrust rod .png
    thrust rod .png
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
G

this is the part No 1 , it is to change the trim angle position !!!

I had that same problem, take pliers and twist the tip. Since i did that it never moved again. This is a stupid screw up i figured they fixed from a 2006 mercury

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is a very common design for a thrust rod and only requires that it be put in the proper position when adjusting. Leave it upside down and it can be lost.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Everybody who has an outboard WITHOUT electric trim has had this problem. Trim is decided by the weight distribution on the boat

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With pliers, bench press bend a bit the rod where small plate pivots against to close the gap, make it bit tight to achieve less play + stretch side spring some mm to pull rod sideways with more load/force.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Suzuki has about the same thing except it has a plastic cap on the L shaped end of the rod. You have to turn it so the rod goes into a slot on the cap before you can push it in to flip the plate on the oter end to remove it. Kind of a pita but now I know why it's there.