Too much HP for Sea Eagle 124?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I actually own a 124 so might have a little insight here. First, I have a great 2 stroke 3 HP that scoots this boat along pretty quick and have less than $1000 in it, the boat with floorboards and 3 boat seats and sea eagle has given great customer service so far. The garmin fishfinder I just had to have is what put me over the thousand dollar mark. For lakes and rivers, this is a great boat and I'm happy. Its been in the coal river, kanawha, and the Ohio along WV's western border. Probably won't be my only boat forever but like it so far. Here's a video of one on the ocean http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFkiXHZiys not too sure about that. I got caught on a lake in a bad thunderstorm a few weeks ago with only my 45 pound Minn kota and was able to get to shore, but it was hairy at best and not something I will do again. Learned quick even a lake can do what it wants with you if you're not equipped right and you better respect it. This is a great boat in the environment its intended for just make an honest list of what you need a boat to do and then look ones that meet the requirements. If none are in your price range, either your expectations or budget has to give in. Good luck whatever you pick
The boat in the video is a 14 foot boat. Do you understand that the OP wants to put this boat in salt water . In the Atlantic Ocean

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Shaggybill,

Stay away from that flimsy low end thin curtain non supported pvc fabric inflatable. Engine mounts placed vertical or horizontal will flex heavily the engine mount along engine downwards when giving throttle, much worst at full grip with a 6 HP. Thin tubes with pleated welded sems lacks rigidity as in traditional sibs with built in transoms. Invest wise, better go for a traditional sib, will have more fun.

Happy Boating

Last edited: