Too much HP for Sea Eagle 124?

shaggybill

Recruit
Hi guys and gals. First time poster just getting started in the world of inflatables and I'm quite excited about getting my first raft. After doing a bit of research, I think I've decided to purchase the Sea Eagle 124. My question is, can I use more HP than the recommended 6HP maximum that's stated in the specs? What are the consequences of doing so? I know extra weight on the motor mount is probably an issue, but if I can find a motor that's a tad over 6HP (7-8?) but is under the 75 pound weight limit, am I going to be regretting getting a larger motor than the manufacturer recommends? I've never owned or used anything more than a trolling motor at this point, so any advice on this matter would be great!

I see myself using this boat anywhere from lazy rivers to the open ocean hitting up barrier islands along coastal GA. For those ocean excursions, I'd like as much speed as possible with 3-4 people and our backpacks on board.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Under no circumstance do you want to put a sea eagle 124 in the open ocean or in the coastal waters of the Atlantic Ocean. You will need an actual Sib or Rib. It will need to be at least 11 feet if a Sib. You are also going to need to take a boating safety class. Also read the Coast Guard regulations and state of Georgia regulations

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
My expearance, which is not a lot is even with 7 or8 hp with 3-4 aboard don't expect a lot of speed.

mrdrh99

Question, not meaning to pry but what kind of budget are you on? Seems to be the general consensus on this forum that sea eagles are about the most over priced inflatables out there. I've seen decent used sibs for around the price of that sea eagle. Especially if you're looking to go out into open waters. Plus a 6hp may be a bit small (I'm not a motor guru though). I have a 12ft with a 14hp and I still haven't had the nerve to shoot through the jetty and out into open water. I'd suggest hold off and give it a good look to find a better boat. The sea eagle sport runabouts are good but again over priced.

shaggybill

Recruit
Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. I think I should clarify what I mean by taking it out on the "ocean." Basically, I want to go in/around/between the small hammocks of Little Tybee Island near Savannah, GA. 95% of where I'd be going I wouldn't be more than a stones throw from the shore, but there are a couple of places where it might be half a mile give or take. So while it WOULD technically be the ocean and come with the currents, tides, and weather, I didn't mean to imply that I would be taking it miles offshore.

As for budget, I'm in grad school and I have to keep it kind of low (to keep the wife happy). I'm thinking $1200 max for both boat and (used) motor. I know it's not much, but it's what I have to work with. SE has the 124 on sale for $500 right now, so that would leave me with the remainder for a motor.

Also, thanks for letting me know that SE boats are generally overpriced. I assumed they were more expensive based on being a better quality boat, according to the reviews I've read, so hearing that isn't necessarily true tells me I need to do even more research into it.

Are there any recommendations you would make for the price range I gave? I need it to be portable, as in packing it into the back/trunk of a sedan. That's why the SE seemed so appealing.

Last edited:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am from the Savannah area and would recommend you listen to the one who told you not to take that boat out on those waters. You are asking for trouble. Also, loading three or four people with backpacks in a small boat is a dangerous thing to do.

If you cannot afford a suitable sea boat, stay home until you can.

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It would be wise, at the very minimum, to head over to http://www.boat-ed.com/
and take the safety course and test for Georgia.

also familiarize yourself with The European Union the Recreational Craft Directive (RCD)
it will help you pick a suitable boat for the on the water adventure you seek
excerpted / summarized from:
http://www.eucertification.com/wp-co...l_craft_en.pdf
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...130101&from=EN

A - Ocean: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force F8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4m and above, and the vessel largely self-sufficient.

B - Offshore: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to and including wind force F8 and significant wave heights up to and including 4m may be experienced.

C - Inshore: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to and including wind force F6 and significant wave heights up to and including 2m may be experienced.

D - Sheltered Waters: Designed for voyages on small lakes, rivers and canals where conditions up to and including wind force F4 and significant wave heights up to and including 0.5m may be experienced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

get a vhf marine radio so you can call for help

you can gain some operational insights for the Sea Eage 124
by checking out the videos by Robert Reinhardt on youtube
( he fishes for salmon on Puget Sound )

pt1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHb4RFKAyb8
pt 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwVYgX1qXms
set up / launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-eNuxMVTQ

other than
when you suggest 3 or 4 people and gear on board
which is going to be very challenging at best,
more likely,
just plain old overloaded
as long as
you are in sheltered waters,
( intercoastal water way )
and pay attention to the tide when operating near inlets
( incoming tide will keep you from being swept out to sea )
you should not have to call the Coast Guard or signal for help

safe boating

---
JRC

ronaldj

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. I think I should clarify what I mean by taking it out on the "ocean." Basically, I want to go in/around/between the small hammocks of Little Tybee Island near Savannah, GA. 95% of where I'd be going I wouldn't be more than a stones throw from the shore, but there are a couple of places where it might be half a mile give or take. So while it WOULD technically be the ocean and come with the currents, tides, and weather, I didn't mean to imply that I would be taking it miles offshore. As for budget, I'm in grad school and I have to keep it kind of low (to keep the wife happy). I'm thinking $1200 max for both boat and (used) motor. I know it's not much, but it's what I have to work with. SE has the 124 on sale for $500 right now, so that would leave me with the remainder for a motor. Also, thanks for letting me know that SE boats are generally overpriced. I assumed they were more expensive based on being a better quality boat, according to the reviews I've read, so hearing that isn't necessarily true tells me I need to do even more research into it. Are there any recommendations you would make for the price range I gave? I need it to be portable, as in packing it into the back/trunk of a sedan. That's why the SE seemed so appealing.
What you want to do can't be done for $1200. A fairly good old 2 stroke is going to cost almost $1200. Not to mention the fact that you really need Hyperlon that far south and not PVC. The sea eagle you think is a deal is only about 25% as thick as a cheap Sib boat. What you are proposing to do is not only dangerous but silly. If you have your heart set on a sea eagle , the minimum you would need would be a 14SR. Again go take a boating safety class.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Local waters differ and must be taken into consideration. As the gentleman is looking at my home waters and rivers, I can tell you from experience that it tends to get rougher than you might imagine even in the rivers. We are in a curved section of ocean with 7 to 9 ft tides common and swift river flows. It is not uncommon to face two foot chop in any of the local rivers which is no place for a small boat, and a heavy chop is to be avoided. If you were talking Jacksonville south or Charleston north, it would be another story.

We do not use our 9-10 foot class first line inflatables here but reserve their use to the Keys or Gulf side of Florida. We do use kayaks which are designed for choppy waters but only in the larger rivers under ideal conditions.

You hate to rain on anyone's dream, but you would be negligent not to give them advice which could prevent them from getting themselves in trouble or disappointed at the minimum.

mrdrh99

I know this is over your budget but I would this this would be much better for you than the sea eagle

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this is over your budget but I would this this would be much better for you than the sea eagle
I almost bought, and should have, a one year old Saturn 11' with a one year old Yamaha 10 hp on Craig's list last year for $2300.

ronaldj

Local waters differ and must be taken into consideration. As the gentleman is looking at my home waters and rivers, I can tell you from experience that it tends to get rougher than you might imagine even in the rivers. We are in a curved section of ocean with 7 to 9 ft tides common and swift river flows. It is not uncommon to face two foot chop in any of the local rivers which is no place for a small boat, and a heavy chop is to be avoided. If you were talking Jacksonville south or Charleston north, it would be another story. We do not use our 9-10 foot class first line inflatables here but reserve their use to the Keys or Gulf side of Florida. We do use kayaks which are designed for choppy waters but only in the larger rivers under ideal conditions. You hate to rain on anyone's dream, but you would be negligent not to give them advice which could prevent them from getting themselves in trouble or disappointed at the minimum.
You and I are in complete agreement. In fact I had to cancel delivery of a Rib because I checked with the CG first and it didn't meet there standard of safe for being in the Delmarva area. I'm now saving for a larger boat

shaggybill

Recruit
Well guys, it may not be want I wanted to hear, but this is why I came to this forum. I wanted to good advice. Thank you.

What do you think about this boat? I found one barely used for much less on Craigslist in my area. I'd have to settle for a smaller motor to keep with the budget, but I don't mind an older motor and going a little slower to stay safe. Website states that it's seaworthy.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I was to do it over i would go with the Saturn Azzuro Mare. Almost did but changed my mind a couple of times.

Crusher0032

Cadet
I actually own a 124 so might have a little insight here. First, I have a great 2 stroke 3 HP that scoots this boat along pretty quick and have less than $1000 in it, the boat with floorboards and 3 boat seats and sea eagle has given great customer service so far. The garmin fishfinder I just had to have is what put me over the thousand dollar mark. For lakes and rivers, this is a great boat and I'm happy. Its been in the coal river, kanawha, and the Ohio along WV's western border. Probably won't be my only boat forever but like it so far. Here's a video of one on the ocean http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFkiXHZiys not too sure about that. I got caught on a lake in a bad thunderstorm a few weeks ago with only my 45 pound Minn kota and was able to get to shore, but it was hairy at best and not something I will do again. Learned quick even a lake can do what it wants with you if you're not equipped right and you better respect it. This is a great boat in the environment its intended for just make an honest list of what you need a boat to do and then look ones that meet the requirements. If none are in your price range, either your expectations or budget has to give in. Good luck whatever you pick

Last edited:

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I actually own a 124 so might have a little insight here. First, I have a great 2 stroke 3 HP that scoots this boat along pretty quick and have less than $1000 in it, the boat with floorboards and 3 boat seats and sea eagle has given great customer service so far. The garmin fishfinder I just had to have is what put me over the thousand dollar mark. For lakes and rivers, this is a great boat and I'm happy. Its been in the coal river, kanawha, and the Ohio along WV's western border. Probably won't be my only boat forever but like it so far. Here's a video of one on the ocean http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFkiXHZiys not too sure about that. I got caught on a lake in a bad thunderstorm a few weeks ago with only my 45 pound Minn kota and was able to get to shore, but it was hairy at best and not something I will do again. Learned quick even a lake can do what it wants with you if you're not equipped right and you better respect it. This is a great boat in the environment its intended for just make an honest list of what you need a boat to do and then look ones that meet the requirements. If none are in your price range, either your expectations or budget has to give in. Good luck whatever you pick

that is a sib in that video, not the 124smb,
he has a 20 HP Tohatsu on the transom,
I think that motor would practically sink the rear end of the 124smb '-)

mrdrh99

Well guys, it may not be want I wanted to hear, but this is why I came to this forum. I wanted to good advice. Thank you. What do you think about this boat? I found one barely used for much less on Craigslist in my area. I'd have to settle for a smaller motor to keep with the budget, but I don't mind an older motor and going a little slower to stay safe. Website states that it's seaworthy.
I actually almost got one of those and wouldn't hesitate to get it, especially at a deal, just make sure you do a through inspection. Make sure it holds air at correct pressure and look for any signs abuse.... Don't be afraid to ask questions and walk away if you don't feel comfortable!

mrdrh99

Yeah.... Boat in video is one if their sport runabouts.... Fine boat but I just don't agree with their pricing!

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
If that 12 1/2 ft boat is of rugged construction, it might prove to be what you need. You can plan on some rough and wet rides from time to time, and man handling a 160+ lb boat at the ramps in this area will be a challenge. As a minimum you will need transom wheels and a strong back. I would say Skidaway Narrows, Kings Ferry, Morgans Bridge, and the ramp immediately before you get to Wilmington would be doable. The county has improvements planned for that ramp, but we will have to see how that turns out. I have not seen the kayak launch at Coffee Bluff, but that might be doable. Look out for barnacles and oysters as they are abundant and can ruin your day quickly.

ronaldj

Well guys, it may not be want I wanted to hear, but this is why I came to this forum. I wanted to good advice. Thank you. What do you think about this boat? I found one barely used for much less on Craigslist in my area. I'd have to settle for a smaller motor to keep with the budget, but I don't mind an older motor and going a little slower to stay safe. Website states that it's seaworthy.
This is a much better boat. You need to check the age on it. Also check for leaks. PVC has an average life of 5 years. That's not to say you can't get more. It's just the longest warranty a mfg will give on a PVC boat.