How to Locate My Leak (Merc ocean Runner)

trekker9

Seaman Apprentice
I have an Ocean Runner rigged up for fishing the great lakes. It has had a slow leak for a while now on the right rear chamber. Now the right front chamber has developed one as well. What is the best method for locating this, or where should I start. Is it possible that the valves are no good?

Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
An Ocean Runner is a rib, has nothing to do with a Mariner 4. You must spray soappy water all over the tubes, seams, air valves included to spot tiny air bubbles popping out. Happy finding...

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an Ocean Runner rigged up for fishing the great lakes. It has had a slow leak for a while now on the right rear chamber. Now the right front chamber has developed one as well. What is the best method for locating this, or where should I start. Is it possible that the valves are no good? Thanks.
Have you checked your air valves to make sure they are not leaking? They could be loose or just bad

lncoop

Vice Admiral
An Ocean Runner is a rib, has nothing to do with a Mariner 4. You must spray soappy water all over the tubes, seams, air valves included to spot tiny air bubbles popping out. Happy finding...

Happy Boating

Yep. Soapy water is still the best way. Sounds like the leaks are slow so it could take a while for the bubbles to materialize, but materialize they will. Then it's just a matter of marking and patching unless you have valve issues. Don't waste your time pulling valves (but do apply soapy water on and around them) until you've eliminated the rubber. If you can't find any bubbles apply more soapy water one chamber at a time then sit or maybe even bounce on that chamber.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Finding air leaks could be extremely tricky as you could have air leaks under lateral rubstrake, where lower tubes joins against hard floor or even at transom sides, where transom joins against tubes.

All are tricky hidden places that could drive anyone cracy trying to find them as opposed to comon air leaks found on tubes, seams, air valves which are visible to spot on properly.

Happy Boating

Last edited: