4 Stroke Dilema

lemondrop9344

Seaman
Gave up on finding a 15 - 25 hp 2 stroke with electric start for my Achilles SPD 365. Purchased a new Tohatsu 20 hp with electric start & I'm very pleased with the performance. Wife & I travel in a motor home and tow a pickup so a trailer is not a real option. With that said, moving the motor on & off the pickup is not to difficult. I made an engine stand with four wheels, have ramps and use a block and tackle arrangement to get the motor & stand off and on to the pickup.
The mounting & dismounting of the motor from stand/boat and back again almost takes all the pleasure of setting the boat up for use for just one day. Has any one on this forum come up with any ideas (aside from brute strength or additional help) to get a 4 stroke (read heavy motor) on their inflatable? Any thought ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Usually are left hanging at back transom seating on a trailer, or moored at a marina. That 10 + Kg weight difference compared to same 2 strokes wersions, makes all the difference. Somebody here at the forums made a small crane with wheels to lower and retrieve engine from transom, probably could make something like.

Moons back, used to put my engine on transom with sib floating to a certain depth, but that was with 2 holding the engine standing vertically and somebody else holding the sib perpendicular to shore line. No way will I injure my back carrying those heavy horses even going for short distances. Now have a trailer...

Happy Boating

G

I haul around my 15hp which weights 110lb and its a pain! i wish i would have told you earlier but the suzuki 20hp weights 97lb or the honda at 104. The Hatsu is rated at 114 and i would assume about 119 for electric start. I am not a small guy and the 110 is a pain. I recommend you sell the 20, lose a bit of money but get yourself that suzuki. The weight difference would compensate for the money loss. I am waiting for them to make a 25hp under 100 lb, Once they do i will purchase it

lemondrop9344

Seaman
No Title

Hmmm..... I was thinking a pivoting piece of 2" tubing going into the receiver on the pickup might work like a crane. I have the Beachmaster wheels which puts the transom high enough off the ground so I can mount the motor vertically. I think you may be able to see the block & tackle setup in the attached picture I use to get the bow of the Achilles onto the tailgate so I can move it around the camp grounds as well as pulling the motor/stand up the ramps into the back of the pickup. I could probably use the block & tackle with the 2" tubing. I need to make a few engineering changes to the motor stand I made so it will be easier to load on & off the back of the pickup. 4 strokes are best store/transported in the vertical position.

Attachments

• photo205178.jpg
    photo205178.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1

lemondrop9344

Seaman
I did look at the following in addition to the Tohatsu:
Yamaha
Honda
Suzuki
Price point on Tohatsu and my son's experience with his on his sailboat influenced my decision. With my back & shoulders 10 or 15 #'s in total weight won't make a difference. I could barely move the 74 # 15hp 2 stroke Johnson around.

G

I did look at the following in addition to the Tohatsu:
Yamaha
Honda
Suzuki
Price point on Tohatsu and my son's experience with his on his sailboat influenced my decision. With my back & shoulders 10 or 15 #'s in total weight won't make a difference. I could barely move the 74 # 15hp 2 stroke Johnson around.

what about something like this http://www.millerwelds.com/interests/projects/we-build/promotion/project/8519299893
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TbshyXtTpI

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Bud.... Makes me even feel bad to complain about 14hp Johnson.... Comes in around 70#.... But yeah.... These inflatables.... Without a trailer sometimes it just isn't worth it. I would have gone out today but want feeling the set up/tear down today.... I'll be going out tomorrow and intended on making a video out on the water

ronaldj

I feel your pain. That is actually the reason I started looking at Ultralite Ribs They are Back friendly. They require smaller motors and max out at 10 feet , but they keep you from needing a truss

lemondrop9344

Seaman
Purchased $40.00 hydraulic ram & receiver extension form Harbor Freight yesterday. Going to fabricate OP motor hoist fracus which will assemble/disassemble in a few minutes so I can mount/dismount motor from stand/boat. At this point in time of my life, I want what I want & the Achilles & Tohatsu fit the bill. The wife & I like to travel and we like to fish. I'm too far into this project to start over and too old & stubborn to not try and figure out a way to minimize the inconvenience of the the 120 # plus motor. Will post pictures when completed.

ronaldj

I hope this solution works. If it does then you will see people running out to get the Suzuki 20hp 4 stroke

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree with Weimed. If that 97 lb suzuki was 25 horses... I'd be writing reviews. The 20 is just so close to all around breakeven in pluses and minuses (especially price) that it is hard to justify over my current solid johnson 15hp at 80lbs!

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Only paid $2300 for a new 2014 20 hp Suzuki motor with fuel injection. Lightest in its class, price and fuel injection made it a no brainier.

lemondrop9344

Seaman
No Title

Here is what I cam up with. A few more tweaks & I'll be good to go. Less than $100.00 invested.

Attachments

• photo206442.jpg
    photo206442.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2

lemondrop9344

Seaman
No Title

OK, here is what I came up with. While the crane from Harbor Freight was considered, I wanted to be able do disassemble the pieces of the lift while traveling. All the pieces were purchased at Harbor Freight and I have around a $100.00 into it. The metal and various pieces of steel were obtained as drops (scrap) from a metal shop. Every thing is pinned together so setup and tear down takes less than 5 minutes. If Chopperbill's Suzuki 20hp is an electric start, he is a much better price shopper than me. I applaud you

Attachments

• photo206442.jpg
    photo206442.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not electric start. Too heavy. Takes less than a full pull to fire up. Can't remember tha last time it took more than 1 pull.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I had a pickup truck and wanted to lift a motor in and out of it, I would use a crane.
And there is a crane to use :) Now you just need to come up with other uses for it, on the road and at home.

fetch

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am missing something. That rig will surely lift something straight up. but how do you get the motor in the bed of the truck? Does it revolve horizontally?

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I am missing something. That rig will surely lift something straight up. but how do you get the motor in the bed of the truck? Does it revolve horizontally?

Yep it swivels 360 degrees...check out the youtube vid.