cheap pvc inflatables.

G

So after the Dec scuffed my boat I barely found a inflatable boat repair shop 60 miles away. I drove there and they said they do not repair Chinese glued PVC. "if it was thermoweld then yes" they did not even want to see it acted like its kryptonight or something.really made me feel like I have a cheap pos. I don't understand if its such a cheap knockoff why zodiac would put there name on it. Even the registration plate says zodiac. Weird but I will not cheap out for my next boat. I bought the boat from here iboats and when I called to help me find a place to repair the scuff they said call zodiac. The good is they gave me a number and person to speak to at zodiac, the bad part is the person has not called me back in 2 days since I left her a msg. I think I just put zodiac on my do not buy list. I read some reviews about zodiac and terrible customer service but decided to try them anyway. Once my reg expires or maybe even before I will look into an ultrahigh rib.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Weimed, sorry to read such bad news,

BS, all cheapo pvc welded or hand glued are 100% repairable. The repair shop you inquired likes big money repairing costly brand sibs, shame on them. Zodiac being a costly water toy must assemble their low end inflatables in China so to compete with Asian low cost sibs. A merchandising issue or out of low end bussiness you go.

Zodiac probably won't call you back, will wash hands as Pilatus, to deliver that sib to them, from them will surely cost $$. Will your insurance buy you a new one ? Can you post pics of general damage to have a look.

Definitely Not Happy Boating

G

I can probably get the scuff off with simple green. Its not much. I just needed an estimate as the DEC is paying for the repairs

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, that line is the low cost leader from Zodiac, but you have enjoyed yours, haven't you? We have about $1600 tied up in our 9 ft model which is thermowelded, but from a practical standpoint, you got a lot more boat for a reasonable outlay of cash. If the scuff is but an eyesore, use it until it is no longer useable.

There is no reason the boat cannot be repaired if fabric gluing is required.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Send me some photos of the damage and I will get my dealer to give you a price.

ronaldj

Btw. I forgot to tell you. I went through that when I first started looking at boats. I went to 3 dealers before I got my board. My zodiac was made in France and is thermowelded . It also carries a longer warranty the zoom line. The fact that it is 5 years is telling me that my RIB will have to be Hyperlon. I just lucked out and found a good dealer who understood what I was looking for. Just so you no. Your issue is not a Zodiac issue. It's a bad dealer issue. I had the same problem with the local Walker Bay dealer who is also a AB dealer. I was recently talking to him about an AB and he didn't remember he messed up my Walker Bay boat. I told Sinistre about how the guy worked and we laughed. My point is that finding a good boat dealer is hard. You will pay a little more at a really good dealer but that dealer will not let you buy a pos either.

G

Btw. I forgot to tell you. I went through that when I first started looking at boats. I went to 3 dealers before I got my board. My zodiac was made in France and is thermowelded . It also carries a longer warranty the zoom line. The fact that it is 5 years is telling me that my RIB will have to be Hyperlon. I just lucked out and found a good dealer who understood what I was looking for. Just so you no. Your issue is not a Zodiac issue. It's a bad dealer issue. I had the same problem with the local Walker Bay dealer who is also a AB dealer. I was recently talking to him about an AB and he didn't remember he messed up my Walker Bay boat. I told Sinistre about how the guy worked and we laughed. My point is that finding a good boat dealer is hard. You will pay a little more at a really good dealer but that dealer will not let you buy a pos either.

I forgot to tell you, i got in contact with Winboats they gave me there #. To bad their email on their site is down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUbb6nMnJrE. they gave me citychamp.us as the site. But it looks like they are very small and their warranty comes into question

ronaldj

I have since talked to Winboats on the phone and via email. I will forward the email from them. If I get one of there boats I would actually have. Rib that would fit in my SUV

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So after the Dec scuffed my boat I barely found a inflatable boat repair shop 60 miles away. I drove there and they said they do not repair Chinese glued PVC. "if it was thermoweld then yes" they did not even want to see it acted like its kryptonight or something.really made me feel like I have a cheap pos. I don't understand if its such a cheap knockoff why zodiac would put there name on it. Even the registration plate says zodiac. Weird but I will not cheap out for my next boat. I bought the boat from here iboats and when I called to help me find a place to repair the scuff they said call zodiac. The good is they gave me a number and person to speak to at zodiac, the bad part is the person has not called me back in 2 days since I left her a msg. I think I just put zodiac on my do not buy list. I read some reviews about zodiac and terrible customer service but decided to try them anyway. Once my reg expires or maybe even before I will look into an ultrahigh rib.

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself about your purchase of a value SIB.

These china-SIBs are an incredible value,

it is just that they are more of a BIC lighter than a Ronsin

In my case, I figured 5 to 7 years with 5 to 6 outings a year
( possibly only 2 or 3 years if I end up fed up or become so enthusiastic and would like something bigger and better )
versus ~$25 a day to rent a row boat around these parts
+ the convenience / flexibility of having your own boat,

i.e. my SIB is worth 100 to 150 a year to me, & probably at least $700
over my anticipated life with it

$700 is all that I paid for it,
( I bought one of the Jilong made z-Ray Buccaneer II's iBoats was clearing out for Red Star during the spring of 2013 )
( which BTW: while I do not expect to get as good of service via online purchase as from a bricks and mortar shop, )
( I do not anticipate being left out in the cold either. With that said, iBoats have stood behind what they have sold
me well enough, that I will not only do business with them again, but also recommend them )
and
when the time comes to sell it,
worst case,
I will be out
$700
but more than likely,
I should be able to sell it for a couple - three hundred big ones

So, yes, unless I am unlucky - needing warranty service or other repairs,
I doubt you can beat the value in a china sib with most any "quality inflatable boat",

Heck, you are likely to loose 1/3rd of the boat's value the very minute you take
a "quality inflatable boat" out of the dealer's door.

( the value in a "quality inflatable boat"
is if you are using it every day,
plan on owning it for a lifetime,
& / or require a true inshore / offshore water craft )

As far as the shop you found goes ,
well, you can not help that they only understand
certain work that makes them money
and
keeps them in business
versus
taking on jobs they do not understand how to turn a profit off of,
jobs that ultimately are likely to drag them into insolvency

You just need to find a shop that is more of a fit to your challenge
( it would be more just if you also got reimbursed for your time from the DEC )

Sorry to hear you wasted your time driving to the dealer 60 miles away.
Lesson I learned a long time ago,
call first,
always
I totally understand your frustration

safe boating,

---
JRC

PS
worst case,
you get an estimate that exceed the value of replacing your boat,
i.e. you end up with a free boat

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
+1. The most important thing is to get on the water safely and within your budget. You can upgrade later, but you're having a good time with what you have now and that's what it's all about! Plus, you've probably learned a whole bunch and will be better equipped mentally to pull the trigger on that killer rig when upgrade time does come around.