Nice inflatable boat trailer

ba_fisher

Cadet
Great! Please keep us posted about how it drives on the road, and how it works on the launch ramp. Thanks so much for sharing the experience!

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Will do. I have numerous things I'm going to do and add to the boat that I have not seen on this site. I can't wait to get to them and I think you and others will be interested to see how they work out. Next up is a cover I ordered from iboats I should be receiving soon.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I slid my axle to the rear most of the trailer. It was fairly simple to do...jack up trailer,loosen the t-bolts,tap the spring assembly to the rear a little,move to the other side tap a little so there is no binding. Continue back and forth until it gets to the rear which was about a foot. The result is quite a bit of weight transfer to the front to where it feels just about perfect. I also have about 5 in I can move the boat forward which will help even more. Overall I'm very happy with how everything went and the result. Very nice to have a trailer that is as adjustable as this is and why it was so attractive to me in the first place. I'll get some pictures posted asap.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here's a couple of new pics showing the trailer axle to the rear,the transom support and a new cover I got from iboats.

Attachments

• photo214149.jpg
    photo214149.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214150.jpg
    photo214150.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214151.jpg
    photo214151.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 0

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Got my gauges mounted on my steering wheel,can't wait to use them. The temp gauge is a cyl head temp gauge. You use an existing bolt on the head to mount the sensor then run one wire from that to the gauge and your done...pretty simple. It will be nice to know the temp of the motor rather than rely only on a warning horn. The tachometer also has an hour meter. Some people think hour meters are useless but I think the hours will be nice to know if only for curiosity sake. My cell phone is mounted to a RailBlaza cell phone mount. Using the RailBlaza sure was a lot cheaper then buying a matching GPS speedometer and it makes for a convenient place to put your cell phone. I will be mounting a cigarette lighter on the console soon,used for charging the cell phone mainly. If you've never seen the different RailBlazer stuff google them and check it out. They have a lot of different stuff that is pretty cool. I just got one of their camera booms to mount my video camera to so I'll be able take a lot of on water videos this boating season. Stay tuned more cool stuff to come.

Attachments

• photo214491.jpg
    photo214491.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214492.jpg
    photo214492.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214493.jpg
    photo214493.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 0
G

Well my laughing bit me in the butt. I am moving to florida in a couple of weeks and will need a trailer for my sib. Reading this thread is very helpful. Do you need to register a trailer and get seperate plates for it in dmv? I am looking to buy a preowned trailer made for sibs.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Yes when I lived in Texas and now in Kansas I had to register my trailer. In Kansas after the first registration and plate a short trailer like mine does not have to be registered again so as long as I don't take the trailer out of state I'm good. Personally this is the only purpose built trailer for inflatables I've ever seen. Maybe they are out there and I just haven't seen them but I did a search for them and this is the only one that I found. By the way this is a smaller trailer than the one I first posted about. I was able to get a smaller one which has free shipping and of course because the size was smaller was cheaper. All together I was able to save about $700. Maybe you could find a used one but however you do it if you were to get one you won't be sorry. I'm glad you find the thread helpful thanks.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Click on the pics to read the description.

Attachments

• photo214550.jpg
    photo214550.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214551.jpg
    photo214551.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

what do you think about the trailer northern tool has? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612542_200612542

I think it's a darn good trailer for the money if your boat would fit on it. The problem with an inflatable is we need to get the bunks underneath the tubes for proper support and it needs a transom support. If they're not under the tubes the floor ends up supporting the boat which in my case anyway was not going to work. With most small boat trailers the bunks are just not wide enough. I had a good PWC trailer that I was able to get my 14ft boat on and use once but it was not going to be right without a lot more modification. My guess is the length will be fine but you'll have to modify for the width. You might be able to get an extra set of bunks for it then you could set them up to form a V for good tube support. I think if you are able to do the modifications or even if you could find someone to do it without spending to much it could work out well for you.

Attachments

• photo214150.jpg
    photo214150.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
G

I think it's a darn good trailer for the money if your boat would fit on it. The problem with an inflatable is we need to get the bunks underneath the tubes for proper support and it needs a transom support. If they're not under the tubes the floor ends up supporting the boat which in my case anyway was not going to work. With most small boat trailers the bunks are just not wide enough. I had a good PWC trailer that I was able to get my 14ft boat on and use once but it was not going to be right without a lot more modification. My guess is the length will be fine but you'll have to modify for the width. You might be able to get an extra set of bunks for it then you could set them up to form a V for good tube support. I think if you are able to do the modifications or even if you could find someone to do it without spending to much it could work out well for you.

My floor being wood. Would it still need to go under the tubes? I also seen on youtube a dude had a shock mount that attached to the trailer. By far the best thing i ever seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rLkfb1ZvU fast forward to 2:50 into the video.

Also this is idealy what i would like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3itxkBcZ90I

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe your wood floor would be OK I just don't have enough experience with other boats and trailers to know. I have seen people use utility trailers with a flat wood floor so might be something to explore.

G

No Title

Finally got my boat trailer :). 12" wheels.

Attachments

• photo215879.JPG
    photo215879.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
G

image_216237.jpg image_216238.jpg So the harbor freight/ northern tool trailers are to small for 12' boats due to them coming with 6' bunks. I am currently modding it to 8ft bunks so my transom can sit on the bunk and have support when a 110lb motor is hanging off it. There is still 1ft of space between the cross bar and the end of the bunks.

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah my other trailer was just like that and one of the mods I thought about was to change the 2x4 bunks to 2x6 which it looks like you've done. Good job hope you can get it to work for you without to much expense...sounds like your on your way.

G

So i completed the task. I used treated wood instead or regular pine. My investment was (2) 2x6 treated wood, all weather carpet and a pack of stainless steel staples. Total investment of about $60 dollars. i brainfarted and made the right bunk 2-3 inches further to the front. I am debating on leaving it as is. I feel very confident that the boat will stay safe on the trailer. Now the only issue is, once i place the outboard on the back it flips my trailer due to no weight in the front. i have not attached a winch yet. once i do i will try it and see what happens. other issue is, boat sits high, how am i going to get my 110lb outboard on it lol? I will manage.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
My motor is 155lbs which made my trailer very rear heavy. So much so that I had to put a jack stand under the rear when I was unhooked. That being said and surprisingly it went down the road at 60mph without any issues except the front was always bouncing up and down on the ball. It was a bit unnerving but like I said it went down the road just fine.