NY DEC Scuffed my boat

G

When i was out Monday they decided to bust my chops. there giant rib rubbed my top right tube and left a 2 ft long scuff mark on my boat. I filed a complaint and their captain is coming to assess the damage. there is no reason to fund dec nyc at all when you have nypd patrolling those waters. What a waste of tax payer dollars.

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Believe it or not they have completely different jobs. DEC has very limited law enforcement powers. They are really just Park Rangers and are suppose to only check fishing and hunting licenses and kreel limits and fish sizes. They have seen you enough that they know you are legal. Something else is going on here. They seem to hassle you guys way too much. The actual water or harbor police are real police and then there is the coast guard. They look for actual crimes , mostly drunk boaters and boaters in restricted areas. When we had the problem her with 4 states worth of park rangers not agreeing on anything we went to the coast guard and started following there regs. Other than the poaching laws which pertain to size and kreel limits. They even offer free boating inspections and issue stickers. The Coast Guard sticker trumps anything local except for the the state Poaching regulations Just so you know. You can get the DEC officers badge number and report him to the Coast Guard if the DEC captain doesn't do anything. If you run into any problems get a copy of the report and call me

G

Believe it or not they have completely different jobs. DEC has very limited law enforcement powers. They are really just Park Rangers and are suppose to only check fishing and hunting licenses and kreel limits and fish sizes. They have seen you enough that they know you are legal. Something else is going on here. They seem to hassle you guys way too much. The actual water or harbor police are real police and then there is the coast guard. They look for actual crimes , mostly drunk boaters and boaters in restricted areas. When we had the problem her with 4 states worth of park rangers not agreeing on anything we went to the coast guard and started following there regs. Other than the poaching laws which pertain to size and kreel limits. They even offer free boating inspections and issue stickers. The Coast Guard sticker trumps anything local except for the the state Poaching regulations Just so you know. You can get the DEC officers badge number and report him to the Coast Guard if the DEC captain doesn't do anything. If you run into any problems get a copy of the report and call me

They scuffed Sinisters boat 2 weeks ago.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Who are these DEC cowboys? They sure must not be boaters if they are damaging peoples boats.

Had a Florida ranger try to come alongside our inflatable years ago until we were successful in getting him to hold still and allow us to approach him. He nearly ran over us each time he tried. Just because someone is hired for a job does not mean they understand how to handle a boat with the exception of the CG folks who are well trained.

ronaldj

You are 100% correct. That is one of the reasons that the CG started offering to give boaters CG inspection stickers. They don't cost you anything and they keep the local yahoo's away

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
We left the inlet to see if the seas had settled after a storm one day, and it was wait for a chance and turn that boat back to shore time. A CG 40+ footer decided to board us which made the hair stand up on the back of my neck due to sea conditions.

They brought the boat along side in that rough water as gentle as a baby and put a man on board. That my friend was seamanship. Told the guy we were in the process of waiting for the right wave to come about and head in which he understood due to the boats reaction to the seas. Had it not been the CG, it could have been a very dangerous situation.

We were very happy to have their boat near as we made the change in course and brought her home. Did not want to go swimming, but they were there just in case.

Something I hate is to see them saddled with more law enforcement and less aid to mariners as in the past. Unless a case of life and death is in the cards, they now just contact someone else for help as their hands are tied.

ronaldj

The CG post a list of places and times where they do the free inspections. I will check for you tomorrow and see if I can get the NYC list. If you know where a CG Auxiliary post is they have the list also. They also offer boating classes. The CG regs I posted earlier in the spring were from this and show what the GG wants to see. The only thing I think you are missing is the VHF radio. I will send you an email later tonight

G

The DEC dude just left. I asked him about the CG Auxiliary patch/sticker and he said that does nothing and it would not stop him from boarding me. He said sometimes it works as a courtesy. i guess sometimes is still worth the sticker

ronaldj

He is full of it. If your boat has a VSC sticker on it. It means you meet all local and federal regs. The only thing he could check you for at that point would be BUI (drunk boating) and Poaching ( keeping fish under the size limit or over the catch limit). I just sent you both the books. Btw What are they going to do about your boat

G

He is full of it. If your boat has a VSC sticker on it. It means you meet all local and federal regs. The only thing he could check you for at that point would be BUI (drunk boating) and Poaching ( keeping fish under the size limit or over the catch limit). I just sent you both the books. Btw What are they going to do about your boat

They took photos and asked me to get an estimate. Hopefully the state of New York will reimburse me sometime this year.

ronaldj

Outstanding. The best part about having the sticker is that it is recognized in all of the USA and Canada. That gives you access to a lot of water. It also gives you an added layer of safety