Emergency On-The-Water Repair - How To? What Product?

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Let's say a 1/4" small gash takes place on the side of your tube in your SIB and you're 2 miles from shore in 60ft of water. You're slowly losing air. Is there any sort of product that one could use to temporarily fix the tube? Assume the tube is wet.

I ask this so I can be best prepared if a case like this happens.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the gash is relative not that long, the quickest way to "repair" it momentarily is inserting a rubber cone into tube, comes in different sizes. Once on Terra Firme" you can patch tubes properly.

Bullet Patch.JPG

For larger gashes something like this : Both are used for quick patching while at sea.

Cut Patch.JPG

If you can't patch a tube while at sea, must move all your weight to the other opposite tube, no way a sib will sink, still have other inflated tubes and keel along for overall proper flotation.

Happy Boating

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Also, keep some Tear Aid handy. Cheap and effective. Just be sure to get the right kind.

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Sea Rider, thanks for those product tips!

Incoop: Tear Aid. You said to be sure to get the right kind. What do you mean by the "right kind"?

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Sea Rider, where do I find the rubber cone or the other product you showed me? What do you call those?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sea Rider, where do I find the rubber cone or the other product you showed me? What do you call those?

Probably Zodiac made, navy uses them, don't have the slight idea what they are called. The right kind of patches, means you must order Tear Aid to patch your current tube fabric wether being PVC or Hypalon made. You can buy Tear Aid to patch PVC or Hypalon tubes as well. Check West Marine, Defender.

Happy Boating

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Tear Aid: I did some research and it looks like you need your boat to be dry when you apply it. So this pretty much rules out the help of tear aid, unfortunately.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What are you trying to accomplish, emergency patching while at sea ? If so patching is relative. Will depend on water conditions, gash size and damage location. Is not same patcghing on a calm sunny day on top tubes, than patching with chop, wind and gash under tubes. Those Tear Aid works well, good to have them at hand than having nothing to patch with.

Check with Zodiac Milpo for those black ribbed suppositories...

Happy Boating

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I want to be prepared for gashes at sea… like in 30-200feet of water in calm chop. I assume my boat is wet, because it mostly is somehow. So I'm just wanting to be prepared. So if you think Tear Aid is better than nothing, than I'll carry some with me.

Thanks for the Zodiac Milpo suggestion.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I've never had a hole, gash, abrassion of any king throughout my sibbing/ribbing years if boatting prudently. Tear Aids are faster for quick patching as opposed to traditional patching. Definitely better than nothing, unless you want to stick a finger on a small gash for endless time. Besides those Milpo cones, don't think will find a product that instant holds well on wet tubes.

Happy Boating

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think tear-aid can be applied underwater. I just bought some to fix a vinyl tube and it included specific instructions for application to wet surface.

Why would you take something like a soft inflatable boat 2 miles offshore in the first place?

G

I currently have about 2 pin holes in my right tube and been out already 3 times with it including today without patching. I guess i am lazy. Tube stayed firm from 7am to 330 pm today and same the other 2 times. I wad out about 2 weeks ago and i heard bubbling, i looked at the rear tube and every time water splashes it sizzles like a steak in oil ( i unhooked a fish on the tube and let it slide back into the water, i think thats what caused it). and yea, yea i will put a drop of glue on it soon so the holes dont expand

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Fish pin holes are too small to have them patched, better apply a small droplet of cracy glue or equivalent and let dry properly. A small droplet won't crack over time in case boaters think so.

Happy Boating

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I currently have about 2 pin holes in my right tube and been out already 3 times with it including today without patching. I guess i am lazy. Tube stayed firm from 7am to 330 pm today and same the other 2 times. I wad out about 2 weeks ago and i heard bubbling, i looked at the rear tube and every time water splashes it sizzles like a steak in oil ( i unhooked a fish on the tube and let it slide back into the water, i think thats what caused it). and yea, yea i will put a drop of glue on it soon so the holes dont expand

while not applicable to in the field repairs while on the water
I have been using McNet AquaSeal with COTOL-240 for years to keep
an old Mistral Windglider alive and well

https://www.mcnett.com/m-essentials/aquaseal-cotol-240#11114

( BTW with the COTOL-240 mixed in, cure time is quoted as being 2 hours )

I use it for pin holes and also for general reinforcement where
the PVC has fatigued from all the cycles of being rolled / folded
up or is getting all beat up from abrasion / abuse against hard
pavement, etc

thanks to all for all of the insights for on the water repair

safe boating

--
JRC