How do you Secure your Trailered boat while traveling

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I use my boat all over the Mid Atlantic area. I also boat in North Carolina and New Jersey. Since I use a Sib I can keep it locked in my SUV. For those of you with large Sibs or trailered Ribs how do you secure them when you travel from place to place while spending the night someplace

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you're asking about theft protection while spending the night somewhere, a good hitch lock and a hungry doberman on deck. If someone wants to steal your combo, with planification there's always a way to do so.

There are near silent electric tools that almost cuts about anything including locks, chains, transoms, you name it, so have more than one eye on your beloved combo or bye, bye..

Happy Boating.

Last edited:

ronaldj

I'm talking about protection while you spend the night someplace. I already took care of the protection while tied up someplace

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just sold my Tohatsu to a guy that just had his Zodiak folded up strapped in the back off his pickup stolen. He was at a wedding party with plenty of people around. No safe place if someone is determined to steal it. He ordered a new one.

ronaldj

That's what my concern is. Even thou I'm going to also buy a Rib. The Sib will remain the travel boat as it can be stored under cover in the back of my SUV

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
If someone wants something bad enough they are going to figure out a way to get it.

My RIB was on a trailer. When traveling there is a padlock on the hitch. Things of value and easy to remove (e.g chart plotter) were stored elsewhere. Prop lock on the prop. Gas tank chained and locked in place when transiting. If the trailer was left unattached to a vehicle a chain and padlock through the wheels and around the trailer frame was also used. I've seen trailers with boats locked to lamp posts and trees, but I never did that.

Never had a problem with things going missing and I used and overnighted the boat in places like Toledo, Detroit, DC, and Baltimore (no offense to anyone).

There are reports of thieves using chainsaws to cut off the bits they want when people try to make things on boats un-stealable, so ultimately there's only so much you can really do.

I was actually much more concerned that someone would vandalize the boat by putting holes in the tubes than by stealing anything.

Get good insurance.

ronaldj

While I have had no problems in Baltimore. Annapolis is a different issue. Putting holes in the tubes while at a Hotel is exactly what I worry about

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't do anything, except stay at decent hotels without a major crime problem. I pull my electronics tower, but leave my anchor, paddles, cheesy lifejackets, fuel tank, etc in the boat, and my motor is heavy and bolted on. Plus everything is old.