Parting with my boat

brook011

Seaman Apprentice
Have you considered getting a trailer and just pulling the one you have?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know how you feel. I'm going to a foldable transoms Rib. That fits in my SUV and on top of my SUV. The problem with a trailer is that you need a garage to store it in otherwise I would have one.

mrdrh99

I agree with you.... It's exhausting to set up and tear down....I probably would have twice as many trips on my boat if I could trailer it. I def will be going to a hard boat on a trailer in about 3 years

gotmehooked

Seaman
@brook011 I did have a trailer a few months ago, and sold it because I didn't want to have to maintain it and figured I bought the boat to be portable in the first place. @ronaldJ At least with a RIB you have one less chamber to inflate and it will cut through the water better. My air floor would get a wave like effect under it at certain speeds. You always have to worry about if you get a tear also in your floor with a SIB. As of now I don't use the boat as much just because of the work involved setting it up tearing it down and cleaning it. I took it out Friday and with the wheels it went down the ramp pretty easy, but pulling it out of the water was a chore and I'm no weakling. I did think about hooking my towing bridle to the d rings underneath and lifting the nose up on my tailgate, then hooking it to the rings in my truck and driving slowly just to pull it out of the water. I'll probably list it on craigslist and see what I get.

G

i wish i could afford the luxury of a traileir then i would not mind doing 5-6 drifts before sunset. i am stuck with the chore. its all good now. i am currently working on figuring out a way to carry less crap. current setup time time is 15 minutes and breakdown is an hour. i do not mind that part. i just mind lugging my engine up and down the stairs

gotmehooked

Seaman
i wish i could afford the luxury of a traileir then i would not mind doing 5-6 drifts before sunset. i am stuck with the chore. its all good now. i am currently working on figuring out a way to carry less crap. current setup time time is 15 minutes and breakdown is an hour. i do not mind that part. i just mind lugging my engine up and down the stairs

I like to bass fish and without a trolling motor, it's hard to do that. I could put one on the back, but that's more weight I have to carry around. Lately I've been sticking to catfishing and panfishing so I can just anchor down. I'm particular about cleaning my things so taking the boat down and then inflating it again when I got home to clean it got to be old. It's also a task to get it folded back in the bag and then through my house door. Having to worry about proper air pressure with temperature change so the boat performs well is also a hassle. If you don't have a garage or can't have a trailer then they will get you out on the water. I for one didn't realize when I bought it that it would be this involved.

ronaldj

I like to bass fish and without a trolling motor, it's hard to do that. I could put one on the back, but that's more weight I have to carry around. Lately I've been sticking to catfishing and panfishing so I can just anchor down. I'm particular about cleaning my things so taking the boat down and then inflating it again when I got home to clean it got to be old. It's also a task to get it folded back in the bag and then through my house door. Having to worry about proper air pressure with temperature change so the boat performs well is also a hassle. If you don't have a garage or can't have a trailer then they will get you out on the water. I for one didn't realize when I bought it that it would be this involved.

Just so you know.
I did consider a jon boat but quickly rulled that out.
I have no problem with the inflating part. My issue is being able to transport an engine with a almost 60 year old newly reconstructed shoulder.
I love the portability, just always fighting weight to make the package as light as possible