Look at my SIB floor! What happened? How to fix.

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

My floor's got a bubble! And it'll expand even more each time I fill it up. I aired it up once last week and this bubble appeared, but 50% smaller. I used the boat and then deflated it. I aired it up again yesterday and the bubble was this size seen in the photos. The bubble area feels more like a thinner skin, versus the rest of the floor which feels thick. What's happening and how do I fix this?
See photo (It's a long photo, so scroll down or whatever you need to do to see all the images.)

I'll send a link in the next post to more images. (The forum won't let me add a photo and a link in the same post.)

Thanks!

See more photo angles:
http://www.clevermill.com/zodiac/zodiac_floor.jpg

Attachments

• photo204045.jpg
    photo204045.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
An ir deck is composed of thousands of crissed crossed fibers glued to both upper and lower fabric, seems many have become unglued, that's why the huge blister, will continue to grow the more air pressure you put inside floor.That air deck is shot, kaput, RIP, will need to buy another.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How old is the floor and where have you been keeping it.? Is your keel also attached to the floor?

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
It's a 1994. I've kept it indoors most of it's life. Sometimes aired up. Sometimes deflated and rolled up. There was no particular incident that caused the problem. It was fine about 4 uses ago (about a month ago). It was fine 3 uses ago (about 2 weeks ago). It started having the problem the previous trip… and then this most recent trip the bubble was even bigger. You can hear it come apart when I fill it with air -- and I'm not putting that much pressure in it.

The keel is a separate chamber not attached to the air deck.

ronaldj

20 years for an air floor is a long time. Just replace the floor

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement floor? I haven't been real successful in my search.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Saturn offers air, wood, or aluminum for the same price. Didn't realize I was going to keep it inflated as much as I have so I would probably get aluminum if I have to replace it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You need to buy same brand air deck as it's impossible to trim to size any other brand air deck, wooden slats are for basic non keel sibs. Could customize a wooden or alum floor from other brands, but it's not as simple as buy one put inside expect a perfect match and voilá though.

Happy Boating

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
Is it realistic to replace my 310 air deck with a wood floor or an aluminum floor? Is it my boat made for that?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is it realistic to replace my 310 air deck with a wood floor or an aluminum floor? Is it my boat made for that?

Not an issue, we used to sell air decks sibs, air decks are not liked here, they defleat constantly. So have replaced most air decks with alum floors, but that's possibe due being same brand size with alternatives to use wooden, alum or air decks. Just get rid of original air deck and replace with wooden or alum decks. Nothing to trim, adapt whatsoever.

Check with Zodiac USA if they have a replacement wooden floor for that sib model, could be pricey as everything Zodiac.

Happy Boating

ronaldj

What is the model of your boat. Most of the Air Floors also attach to the keel also

ronaldj

One more question. What PSI were you inflating your air floor and keel with

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I run recommended in the tubes but recommended is to soft for the floor and keel, I use max. On them.

Attachments

• photo202195.jpg
    photo202195.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 0

mrdrh99

I've been running at recommended.... Does anyone think running max would improve performance?

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Running floor and keel on recommended they will flex and ripple in the rough.

frogseatflies

Seaman Apprentice
I don't know what I inflate the floor and keel with, or the side tubes. I just make sure they're good and tight. Tight like a drum. They make me smile when I get them tight. It's like, "yes, this feels great". I know many of you know this feeling. It's annoying to be boating in a soft boat. Plus my 9.9 4-stroke looks good when all is tight and I know it's healthy for the transom.

I fish from my boat and the fish put little pinholes in the air floor, so I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the air deck with an aluminum or wood floor. It seems like the air floor is kinda sensitive anyway.