Saturn 365/Suzuki DF20 report

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trouble is even with wife in the bow when I move to the back to look it performs different than when I'm am seated. Hard to get a good fix when that happens. It seem always to have some back splash when I get to the rear. Is pretty good when I'm seated. Good time Was not testing before I lost 50#. LOL

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
When you move yourself backwards to check water flow, are you sitting on side tube ? If so, you need to sit on deck and pull head out transom, your wife must sit on wooden seat if you have one installed up front, or on bow deck with her back resting against bow tube to achieve a perfect sib ballance, provided sib is top air inflated too. Test on ideal flat calm glassy, no wind water conditions if possible.

A visual check is the only spot on way to "Determine" what's really happening at back transom, later tune engine/transom heigh if requiered to achieve the max HP out of your current portable engine.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL almost sounds like the Hokey Pokey getting all those things together. The Hokey Pokey You put your right hand in, You put your right hand out, You put your right hand in, And you shake it all about, You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around That what it's all about. 2) left hand 3) right foot 4) left foot 5) head 6) butt 7) whole self Guess I'll get it figured out in Arizona where the water conditions are more stable and have more horse power at hand.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took my dad out for a ride today. He weighs 190#. Set in the bow. Had the same trim setting as when I went out a week ago. Would not plane. About did and it cavitates terrible. Trying different settings and ended up back second hole from the transom and it did fairly good. 19 mph. Trim set exactly opposite as with me alone. Half hour later we took off again would not plane until motor cavatated a little then took off. We determined riding two up at this altitude I needed a different prop to keep the rpm up. Rpm never got above 5600 with two aboard. 700 short of rated. Also figured out the keel got a little soft in the cool water. CONCLUSION. Impossible to get this set just right for all applications. Sibs are just not the same as a heavy hard hull boat. Dad had a ski boat when I was growing up. He said he had to go to a three blade power prop to make it run right at this altitude , never messed with the trim after it was set. Taking my brother out next week before I fold it up for the summer. Bets are on I have to mess with the trim again.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
CB,

You don't need to move trim once set at a hole that gives while on plane :

-Prop shaft parallel to water level.
-Engine sitting at 90° on transom.
-If with doesl fins installed, finsl must ride parallel to water level or will increment water drag on fins and slow boat down.
All 3 conditionss will be achieved at one and only second, third hole, will depend on your transom's angle.

Once there stay there, in practice it's really all related to proper tube, keel inflation to its factory recommended worrking presssure for sib overall rigidity, weight evenly distributed on deck, proper engine health, height, trim for top prop thrust along fast plane. At altitude engine will benefit going at least 1 less in pitch to rev rpm a bit near full wot parameters. Are you going full grip from a dead stop when trying to plane ? It's really frustrating going for a larger HP engine and not achieved so far boating peace of mind.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
With me alone the boat runs best with trim set second to last hole out. When I had my passenger in the bow the boat leveled OUT so much that the back of the fin stuck above the water at an angle. Thus extreme cavatation while trying to plan. Had to set trim to the extreme opposite, to the next to the last hole IN to have it run the best. I will say it rides best Two up and no splash over or back of the transom. How am I suppose to over come that situation? Maybe setting trim in between both settings and not have the best of both worlds? Really believe a prop is the answer to get my RPM's up, how ever this winter at sea level HP wont be a factor. Sea Rider how about taking a great vacation to colorful Colorado? Free room in my fifth wheel if you figure this thing out for me. LOL

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took my brother out. He goes about 200. So we got about 415 between us both. Struggle to get on plane, we both got near middle of boat to get there. Played with trim. Best 20 mph 5400 rpm, short 800 rpm. NEED PROP! For two up at this altitude unless I just take my 130# wife. . Fun ran out circling this lake any way. Boats going in bag until we get to sea level. Colo river will peg the fun meter again.