Saturn 365/Suzuki DF20 report

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Never ran wot for long as it says not to plus the water was pretty rough. Never got to red line 6300. Was around 5800 when I checked speed. Had a burst over 6000 but never checked the speed.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Factoring in efficiency (prop slip and such) the last 500 RPM (if they are indeed all available, seeing as top RPM is a range) should get you that extra 0.5 mph.... possibly 1 though I doubt it. The waters condition probably was a bigger factor than the 500 RPM but you are right around the area I was hoping to see... though a little more never hurt nobody (double negative added for emphasis. Lol

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Factoring in efficiency (prop slip and such) the last 500 RPM (if they are indeed all available, seeing as top RPM is a range) should get you that extra 0.5 mph.... possibly 1 though I doubt it. The waters condition probably was a bigger factor than the 500 RPM but you are right around the area I was hoping to see... though a little more never hurt nobody (double negative added for emphasis. Lol
You'll get that and more at sea level. I'm losing a few hp at this elevation. Did you read you message?

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see THAT I have a message. When I try to access it.... no dice! I'll keep at it... maybe eventually it will crack. lol:rolleyes:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, already asked boats to go about the pedestal. Would not guarantee over 7". OK with me cause I feel better sitting in the boat than on top. Guess I'm an old scaredy cat. LOL
I have been trying to post a picture for you since you posted this. Do not get the pedestal from BPS. It is only good upto 5mph. The pedestal in wallyworld is much better

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went out riding double with the 3/4 shim under the motor. Cavitated big time trying to plane. Took out shim. Water was pretty choppy but it planed better. But really bounced into the waves and every time it did I had over transom splash. Got a max of 23 mph, not too bad two up. When it wasn't doing the porpose thing it did not have splash. Not truly happy how long it took to plane going two up so I installed the Stingray to day and wil give it another try when the storms quit coming through.

mrdrh99

Yeah, already asked boats to go about the pedestal. Would not guarantee over 7". OK with me cause I feel better sitting in the boat than on top. Guess I'm an old scaredy cat. LOL
Bill... I agree.... I made my own frame out of PVC.... It works well but my current pedestal is 13".... I need the 7".... And I plan on making my own tiller handle.... I'll end up close to the middle of my boat and I think it'll fly!

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sliding the frame up to the middle then adding the console with steering wheel would be the ticket. However I am done throwing money are this thing. Will spend the winter in AZ at sea level on a some what calmer river. That when the fun begins.

mrdrh99

I agree.... If I don't get a Carolina skiff when my registration is up in 3 years I'll def be getting a larger boat, aluminum floor, seat and steering console with a throttle, Bimini, and a TRAILER! It's killing me setting up/breaking down.

G

I agree.... If I don't get a Carolina skiff when my registration is up in 3 years I'll def be getting a larger boat, aluminum floor, seat and steering console with a throttle, Bimini, and a TRAILER! It's killing me setting up/breaking down.

If you plan on using a trailer, why not get a nice v shape rib. I am sure it will blow the skiff away. I have a friend with a skiff he is scared To head to open water. There is an awesome forum you should also follow. Noreast.com. I am on there and since your in north Carolina you fall tight into the category. I plan on getting an ultralight rib.

mrdrh99

If you plan on using a trailer, why not get a nice v shape rib. I am sure it will blow the skiff away. I have a friend with a skiff he is scared To head to open water. There is an awesome forum you should also follow. Noreast.com. I am on there and since your in north Carolina you fall tight into the category. I plan on getting an ultralight rib.
Cool.... I'll check it out. I was beached beside a small Achilles rib the other day.... 9ft probably, had a Honda 9.9 4 stroke, they say it runs over 20mph. It was def nice.

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are talking a pretty big skiff if you want to go out in big water and can forget the flat bottom variety. What are your expectations for the boat?

Generally big water is handled by a self bailing deep vee hull with a larger motor. We have the Mako Pro Skiff 17 which is a fine river boat, but we would not take it very far offshore.

mrdrh99

When I say Carolina skiff I'm talking 19'+....I also like the sea pro boats..... I know all about the deep v.... Carolina skiff name was used as a generalization. 90+ HP....$15k and up.... I'm well aware of what I'm looking at but we will be living at the beach in a couple years. We very well may be more prepared to spend $5-7k on a rib and wait another 5-10 years before the fiberglass

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Installed the stingray and went out today, solo. More control to planning and with little effort. Transom back splash when hitting minor waves. I was completely baffled. Have only been running running in first and second hole from transom, still transom back splash. Ended up in second to last hole and hardly any back splash and much smoother attacking waves, no porpoise to speak of. Guess I had the trim all bassackwards. 22 mph, a little slower than the last time out. Blaming that on the stingray but it is defiantly staying on.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sorry to be a PITA, but you definitely have not matched sweet engine/transom height. Your doel fin must ride parallel to water level once sib is on plane provided it's properly weight ballanced. If not, fin will create more water drag at lower leg, water splashes and lose some top end speed.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have only 3/4 inch to work with on the transom. I tried it stock and with a 3/4 shim. With shim it cavitates big time. Am I suppose to work with 1/4 inch shims at a time? That would be a PITA. Now it rides pretty smooth, only slight transom splash going across a large wake, planes fast and handles a lot better, going to plane and turning. Riding with passengers will probably change conditions just like when I change my weight fore and aft I can tell it changes the way it performs. When I go to sea level more hp will gain more mph, but I doubt I will even use full throttle that much.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forgot to add. When I go back to check water flow over the LU I get some back splash so it's hard to check and when I go back to the seat I get none. Guessing if I have a passenger I would balance out better and be able to check water flow. Too many variables in the picture to get everything perfect in all scenarios.

mrdrh99

I'm with ya Bill.... I'm planing nicely now that I've ditched the bench and I'm moved up forward in an actual chair, BTW I picked up the short pedestal today... Going to try it out with a tiller extension tomorrow! But.... I'm def getting splash.... Idk if it's enough to worry about though. With my 14 I'm planning quickly and cruising 16-17mph without a Finn.... Thought about trying one but I don't think I have anything to gain from it

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed without the fin going to plane it wanted to wander, now it stays on track. Lot more reassuring. Turns seem a lot more stable. These light boats are kinda finicky to control, not that I'm very expearanced.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Chopperbill,

If you manage to get engine/transom dialed at sweet height spot you will boat happily on most water scenarios. When going over large wakes you should throttle down to cross it nicely, you're on a sib, not a rib.

What you say is correct, engine/transom behaviour will change accordingly if your weight is aft, middle or at bow or even with under inflated tubes. What you need to so is sit wify at bow for even distributed deck weight, go for a water spin, trimmed to a hole in which you achieve engine sittting at 90 deg and sib riding parallel to water level.

Once there, pull head backwards and check water flow height passing through LU to determine if in need to raise or lower engine accordingly, if you don't look will be wild guessing endlessly. Post you findings with wify siting up front.

Happy Boating