Saturn 365/Suzuki DF20 report

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went for the first run with the combo. Only 15 minutes on the motor and the with wife aboard. Break in time is 10 hours. With the Tohatsu it would plane, me getting my weight forward and no passengers would do 15 mph GPS. With passenger it would not plane and plow along at 8 mph. Took off with all aboard with the Suzuki and I could tell immediately there was more power under the hood. Not suppose to go over 3000rpm except to get it on plane. Gave it throttle and it almost immediately went on plane 3200 rpm was at 15 mph! We did our little cruise around the lake varying the throttle for a couple of hours. Hit the throttle and hung in a little longer. 5300 rpm and 20 mph! Red line is 6300 so I felt real good with this, 2 aboard and at 5000 feet. Interesting info comparing the two motors. The Tohatsu is 1" longer from the top of the transom to the end of the motor. Is 2" longer from the top of the transom to the cavitation plate. Suzuki threw no water over the transom and little or no back splash. At plane water was about an inch under the water deflection plate. Can't wait until she is broke in and give it areal test. Next time out I will be solo and get back with the report. Any way the Suzuki is a keeper!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Now you know that there's a lenght difference between 2 same size engine brands, being Tohatsu the one that has the worst water behaviour if not well transom height seated. Was engine sitting at 90° or near when tested ? Would you say water flow passes right in middle between upper water deflector plate and AV (Cav plate) to use Susy's own wording ? Congrats on the purchase, have lots of boating fun in good company...

Happy Boating

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
At my work desk...2 projects deadline today @ COB... feel sick as a sick dog, lol.... and all I can do is smile... that's a very promising first report. Looking forward to many more. Back on Mandatory OT after a 1 month reprieve... I may have too do a little extra... wink, wink. Very cool indeed.

Is the motor as quiet as everyone says? smooth running? we want details!!! How does the weight actually feel in hand??

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did not spend much time messing with trim, water was flowing below WD plate. Will spend more time on details when I'm alone. Motor is pretty quiet but have only the Tohatsu to compare with. There are some rpm ranges that buzz more than others but lets get more hours on it. Am aloud 4000 rpm for the next hour than bursts of full throttle the next 7 hours. Should be fun. You can tell it's 16 lbs heaver than my other motor, but if this old man can get it on the transom so can you guys. Did spend some time making a shorter gear shift so I can use my seat on the bench. Will eventually order the seat frame from boats to go.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very promising indeed!!! I'm hoping the last 1000 rims get you an additional 4 or 5 mph. I would be ecstatic for both of us... lol. Since I have the same boat, I can both live vicariously through you... and perhaps glimpse into my own future. If you are Between 45 AND 55 Years Of age, YOU Are My hero... If older... A god! Well played sir, well Played.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
At 69 and I'm a god? Guess I should have bought more Suzuki's earlier in life. LOL
Forgive me if this has been asked before but How do you get that motor to your boat? Is it a trailor queen with a cover or are you Superman?

ronaldj

One more question about that engine combo. Have you considered putting a console on your Saturn. That would be awesome

ronaldj

You could tell her that you did it for her. You wanted to make her boating experience better.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, here's how that goes. You are in fact a god (reticent to use an uppercase G lest I invoke a wrath). I now officially feel like a little girl. If you can carry that motor around I Have no excuse (is laziness considered an excuse? ) to not own a motor in at least that weight class. :-(

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just waiting to hear your reports on things like top end speed, hole sho, decibel levels and such. I don't think i will get a lot in the way of additional top end speed, though I'd love for you to prove that wrong. But the no oil mixing, fuel economy, quiet running would be enough ... sort of..m to justify the purchase... even without much more speed which is ultimately what I'm after. 25 mph gets me in the door. Anything more is gravy. Anything less makes the 2.5k+ purchase more of a crapshoot.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just waiting to hear your reports on things like top end speed, hole sho, decibel levels and such. I don't think i will get a lot in the way of additional top end speed, though I'd love for you to prove that wrong. But the no oil mixing, fuel economy, quiet running would be enough ... sort of..m to justify the purchase... even without much more speed which is ultimately what I'm after. 25 mph gets me in the door. Anything more is gravy. Anything less makes the 2.5k+ purchase more of a crapshoot.
There is a $300 rebate unti the end of July

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Only got two hours on it. Hard to give all info until it's broke in

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went solo. Went to plane and it shot in the air and was very uncontrollable. It would go one direction and wouldn't wouldn't respond until it had more bow in the water. Set trim and made no difference. Big reason is the Saturn rear bench is way to close to the transom. Even makes it difficult to start and steer. Put on my life jacket and dead man cord in case it would throw me out. Finally moved my weight clear to front bench and it is much improved. One pass at 23.5 mph after I move back to the rear. Now getting transom back splash. Learned to get in the throttle the back of to half throttle when it starts to plane. Very much improved in ride and handling. It will plane down to 8mph. Sweet spot is a leisurely 15 mph and 4100 rpm with me having my weight toward the front. Water getting ruff due to skiers and jet skis. Found smooth water and 21-22 mph for short bursts, still breaking it in. Got home and removed swivel SEAT AGAIN. Ordered The boats to go seat frame and removing rear bench. When installed I can move it into any comfortable position and it will set lower and put my weight up front. Sitting on the tubes is no option for me. Suppose to sit in boats and not on top of them. Raised motor just under 3/4 of an inch. When seat frame comes in I will give it another go.

ronaldj

Have you considered getting a Tiller extension handle? That way you can move your set forward and still be able to reach the tiller. Btw I also have the seat frame Make sure you get the 7 inch mount and not the 13 inch.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you considered getting a Tiller extension handle? That way you can move your set forward and still be able to reach the tiller. Btw I also have the seat frame Make sure you get the 7 inch mount and not the 13 inch.
Yeah, already asked boats to go about the pedestal. Would not guarantee over 7". OK with me cause I feel better sitting in the boat than on top. Guess I'm an old scaredy cat. LOL

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finally got my internet service restored... yay me! Quickie question... the 23.5 mph pass was that at WOT or at the 5300 you most recently posted. I know the engine is new and not suggesting you go all out but trying to get idea for engines performance and how it might relate to my situation seeing as we have the same boat. Have a major exam tomorrow but hope to be more active on the forum after that is behind me... especially since I don't have to post from my cell phone!

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Btw, can you PM where you purchased the motor and cost (if you are comfortable relasing that info into the universe... I promise not to tell the Mrs!!!:D