Sharpie problems

crazylot

Cadet
Hey guys so real quick, got the new dinghy and purchased a (brush sharpie) from michaels. I guess maybe its oil based or something? cause it started to rub all over the dinghy when I rolled it up. So then I used (Nail polish remover, 100% nail polish remover, or any alcohol hand sanitizer just like everyone here said to do) when I used them, the sharpie barely came off and actually made it worse leaving stains in a circular motion when I triend rubbing it off.

I went to office depot and purchased a MAGNUM sharpie. That sharpie is GREAT, it does not rub off the dinghy and comes right off with the nail polish remover like if it was never there.

So what I want to do now is remove that old sharpie completely so I can use the MAGNUM sharpie. So what can I use to clean off the old sharpie?

Last edited:

brook011

Seaman Apprentice
MEK is usually used when you can't get something out, but has to be used VERY sparingly and with a lint free cloth. I'm still a newbie and don't know any other methods, but I do remember watching an NRS video about cleaning a PVC boat and MEK was used when he couldn't get a stain out.

G

Do not try anything on your boat until you test it on a spare piece of pvc (emergency kit) because you do not want to burn a hole. I tried everything from paint thinner to airplane paint remover, magic eraser, acetone and nothing gets off sharpie! if you find something good let me know. I got spots i need to remove also

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You might want to try using some Goof Off. It is made to remove graffiti. I would try it on a spare piece of PVC or Hyperlon before I used it on the boat