Saturn rear bench seat

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
One flaw I have found in the Saturns is the rear bench in mounted too close to the transom. Uncomfortable close to the motor and probably makes planing more difficult. it thought off buying a couple of boat seat patches and mounting them ahead of the one that are there. Problem is then they would be to far ahead of the transom. About 6" wold be perfect. How easy is it to remove the patches and relocate them or put on new ones? Here is what thy look like.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Personally find very umcomfy to tiller drive sittting on a bench, usually sit on right top tube with my arm extended enough as to drive properly. Those factory patches are hard to remove, if need placing seat up further simply glue at same height but bit further bow till patches reaches the position that suits your driving best. Buy 2 part PVC glue to glue new seat patches onto tubes.

Happy Boating

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm considering on of those aluminum seating frames.... I already have the actual seats from my last boat

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm considering on of those aluminum seating frames.... I already have the actual seats from my last boat
Amen! Getting a new motor passed my wife was a chore. Any other obvious purchases will put me in the doghouse. Wouldn't be to bad he gets treated better than me. LOL

mrdrh99

Also thinking about taking a nice size cooler or work box and modding that into a seat like you see on a lot of center consoles

ronaldj

I got the frame from boats toto. It works very well for mounting fishing chairs and it was cheap. I used a cooler last year. The issue I had with the cooler was the weight when full. I had to have it empty to put in the boat and then had to transfer everything out of it to get it out of the boat. The only other issue was there was no back support. May try to mount a boat seat to the top of a cooler. If using a cooler make sure it is a marine cooler

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A heat gun with a lot of heat should remove the mounts fairly easily. Something to slid under as you work them loose would be good, but I would recommend stiff plastic tools. As suggested a two part glue is necessary for installation. Something like Bostich from NRS. They also sell Clifton.

I too sit on the starboard tube to drive. Although I have been considering building a mount that goes from the floor over the tube for a seat with a back on it. Otherwise I use a wakeboard handle to keep me in the boat, but just a PVC pipe with a rope would suffice.That only gets used when it gets really rough as in less than 5% of the time.

pgnyc

Seaman
So it was not just me ! Since the first day of boating my right arm was in pain , i did put that on i was not in the best physical condition. To hold myself and the passengers i attach a line from the bow to the back seat ! Pascal

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you are unskilled about using a heat gun to remove factory glued parts on tubes stay away from doing so. Will not know how close or far away you neeed to point the nozzle against patch, nor which temp is appropriate as not to harm the pvc fabric, you could even blister tube's fabric forever if too hot...

Near all sibs have ropes ties glued on upper tubes, it's a matter of seating bit before middle tube and holding rope with hand, not that tight as to tire arm or hand. Definite a matter of perfect tube ballance while slightly holding rope.

The issue of seating on tubes while tilleriing specially while sitting on starbord side is to check water indicator (peeing port) working from time to time. Not visible when seating on port side and much worst if seating on seats mounted on frames. If any debris is caught by water intales located at LU while being at fast speed or wot, will achieve a severely overheated engine in a very short time. Indeed, very bad music..

Happy Boating

Last edited:
G

my boat came with ropes on the tubes so i hold on to that. Honestly it has been rough the past two times we went out (probably because we went to open water). I sit on the port side (left) tube. Was thinking of a handle patch myself.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
New motor came with more seating problems. Gear shift hits seat when turning when in forward. Have no idea why a gear shift has to be so big. Ain't like you are drag racing or something. Guess I'm going to have to saw a couple of inches off that sucker. We need to make a list to post all the pain the *** things we run into. Might keep someone from running into a surprise and having to explain to the wife why you need more money.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Made a gear shift out of aluminum angle for now because I really need a back rest. Ran a support out of the same stock and attached to the seat bolts and the transom wheel bolts. Surprised how much stabile the transom and seat are.

Attachments

• photo203747.jpg
    photo203747.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0

ronaldj

I liked the way you braced that seat. I have thought about it but never did it. I though I was the only person that wanted a backrest

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boats to go seat frame is on the way. Sitting on tubes is no option for old farts. Its crazy ridiculous how close the rear bench is to the transom. Checking out other makes I see none that close even the Saturn Azzurro Mare is spaced further away. To me it takes a star off a five star boat. I can really see why lot of boats have all benches removed. A console mounted mid ship would sure make a nice set up.

mrdrh99

Seems like the bench being so far back would also hinder getting the boat up on a plane.... When I sit closer to the middle of the boat I have no problem planning

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seems like the bench being so far back would also hinder getting the boat up on a plane.... When I sit closer to the middle of the boat I have no problem planning
Yeah no kidding. First time I hit the throttle I was shot up in the air and boat was uncontrollable. On went the life vest and throttle dead man. Not fun.