how fast is your rig?

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was only pushing 8.5/9 mph on my mini cat with a 14hp.... What do you guys get?

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got 16 mph solo with mine. Add 130# passenger it got 8 mph and won't plane.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
430 Rib, 2 stroke (L) Tohatsu 18 HP,
Total Weight : 250 KG
Solo driving : 21.6 MPH
WOT rpm : 5790 out of max 5800

Happy Boating

Last edited:
G

Zoom 350s, 15hp Merc 4stroke = 22mph (still not 100% correct transom to plate ratio) once I correct that i will prob get about 23-24 on flat water.

Last edited:

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
Bombard Max 3+, Johnson 9.9 2 stroke. With just me, 19 MPH. I can plane with two adults but it is much slower and takes longer to plane.

Still trying to optimize my transom, and get it dialed in good.

Mlmg

Cadet
20 HP Yamaha on a Zodiac 340 with roughly 630# of people and, per the GPS, I was up to 24mph...

mrdrh99

I got 16mph today! Planned with just myself... I had to throw my weight in the middle and then sit back on my bench.... It was awesome.... That's all I had hoped for

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if my gps thing on my iphone is right i got 18 miles hr (28kms) with just me with a 8ft rib with 8hp nissian 2 stroke. with 2 people a bit of gear, it's hard to get on a plane.

Last edited:

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
365 SIB,
"obsolete" 2 stroke 1963 Evinrude Fastwin 18 HP
Total Weight : 380 KG
Speed: 19 to 20 MPH at WOT as indicated by GPS
Fuel Burn: 3 or 4 gallons per hour at WOT

The fuel burn is way off from the rule of thumb rate of HP/10 gallons per hour.
Thus,I will be looking for other data points on this engine as well as possible remedies.
Perhaps SeaRaider can chime back in with some fuel burn date on his 18 HP Tohatsu,
grant you though, his motor is probably 40, if not 50, years newer than mine.

G

imagejpeg_2.jpg
365 SIB,
"obsolete" 2 stroke 1963 Evinrude Fastwin 18 HP
Total Weight : 380 KG
Speed: 19 to 20 MPH at WOT as indicated by GPS
Fuel Burn: 3 or 4 gallons per hour at WOT

The fuel burn is way off from the rule of thumb rate of HP/10 gallons per hour.
Thus,I will be looking for other data points on this engine as well as possible remedies.
Perhaps SeaRaider can chime back in with some fuel burn date on his 18 HP Tohatsu,
grant you though, his motor is probably 40, if not 50, years newer than mine.

My friend has a newer 15 (2stroke) and burns a boat load of gas at wot. He realized by taking about 500rpm off wot gave him about 50% more fuel economy. My other friend has a 62 Rude 10hp. We went out did a little bit of riding and did a couple drifts. He had about half his tank of gas left (6gallon tank) we were out from like 12pm till about 6pm. You can see the Rude in the background

Attachments

• image_203357.jpg
    image_203357.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ronaldj

Weimar. Are those chaps on his boat. The tubes look like something is on them or they are losing air. Great fish by the way

G

Those are tube covers that come standard on the Azzuro Mare. That boat is dope i got to tell you

mrdrh99

My wife was nudging me to get the 11ft A.M. but I had to have my huge floor

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My friend has a newer 15 (2stroke) and burns a boat load of gas at wot. He realized by taking about 500rpm off wot gave him about 50% more fuel economy. My other friend has a 62 Rude 10hp. We went out did a little bit of riding and did a couple drifts. He had about half his tank of gas left (6gallon tank) we were out from like 12pm till about 6pm. You can see the Rude in the background

Nice rig your friend has and an impressive catch.
Thanks for sharing the photo.
...(BTW how did you post it, last time I uploaded a photo, it is barely a thumbnail ?)

I was looking at a post from Mr SeaRider in the "how much fuel do you take out" thread
where he said he would go out with a full 6 gallon tank, run 45 or 50 km and have a gallon
left over. That works out to 9 or 10 km per gallon / 5.7 or 6.3 mpg. However, I did not see
where he mentioned which of his Tohatsus ( the 18 HP or 30 HP ) he was referring to.

if SeaRider is talking about his 18 HP, I guess my burn rate is about on par

I picked up a sweet looking Evinrude 10 HP last month that had been sitting for 20 some odd years.
It has cracked coils and the water pump impeller is toast. Got my parts in ( including fuel pump and
carb kit ), but it is going to be another week or two before I get the chance to R-n-R everything
and get out on the water with that motor.

CORRECTION:
I stumbled across SeaRider's post in the "How Much Fuel do You Take Out?" thread
he actually said 1/2 tank for 45 to 50 Km cruise with a gallon left over,
so it sounds like he is getting more like 20 to 25 Km per gallon
or 12 to 15 mpg

Last edited:

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
"...but it is going to be another week or two before..."

ha, ha, I have to laugh at myself,
i.e.
strike that
and more like
"...but it is going to be another month or two before..."

in any case I finally got it all together and had an outing
with the 10 HP and my 365 class SIB
( it is the Jilong made z-Ray 500 II Buccaneer that iBoats was clearing out for Red Star Trades in the Spring of 2013 )
between me, my buddy, the boat, motor, fuel, gear, and supplies
the gross weight was right around 800 lbs / 365 kgs

with the 10 HP the rig does not get up on plane with the authority
as with the 18 HP installed on the transom, but once all planed
out, she made a pretty steady 16 mph according to the GPS

very please with the result as the 18 HP I mentioned in an earlier post,
it is maybe only 25% faster

though with a prop that is in better shape,
and after
rebuilding the fuel pump & carb
( more due to ethanol concerns than performance concerns )
then getting it all dialed in back in again
I'd expect the 18 HP to perform a bit better
after all,
I've had it running a consistent 23+/- mph pushing
a 14 foot deep vee row boat

in both cases, each motor lends toward some great cheap thrills
( I only have about $200 to $250 in each of those motors )
( not counting my time to find some decent deals on non-running motors )
( nor my labor in getting them in awesome running condition )

---

safe boating to all,

PS
I should change my signature quote to that old Mark Twain favorite
Never put off till tomorrow
what you can do
the day after tomorrow.

Last edited:

mrdrh99

I'll update.... Saturn MC365.... Johnson 14hp 18 mph after ditching the benches and making my own seat mounting frame, putting it closer to the middle of the boat and adding a tiller extension handle. It'll plane me and gear in under 5 seconds and cruise nicely around 16mph.... Flat water and no wind will push 18/19 intermittently. I'm satisfied

lemondrop9344

Seaman
Achilles SPD 365 - Tohatsu Electric start 20 hp four stroke. Have seen 26 mph on GPS @ WOT. Myself, wife, dog, battery, coolers & fishing tackle. Set up is still relatively new so WOT has only been for a few minutes as per the break-in procedure. Will cruise around 18 mph with same load just a little over 1/2 throttle. Gets on plane very quickly with above load. With just me in the boat, I have to lean forward to get the bow down & come on plane. Carry 6 gallons of gas. Fuel consumption is considerably less than 15hp 2 stroke Johnson which topped out at 18 mph WOT with similar load.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
With thr new motor at 5000 feet I get 23-24 solo and planes fast. Double with twice my weight 19 and have to get creative to get on plane. Needs prop bad two up. Will report back from AZ at sea level and may go down a pitch on the prop.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
JRC,

2 stroke fuel comsumption is relative to every engine brand. Some consumes less, some consumes more, Engine/prop health is a must have. Consumption is measured on a flat water no wind course. with lightly loaded boat, well trimmed, engine opt transom height seated and running to it's max wot fact numbers. In my case my 18 HP is producing just 10 rpm less than the max 5800 wot rpm rated. Accordingg to factory wot specs, this HP consumes 2.38 Gal/H which is 13% of it's HP.

As a near rule of thumb, everyubody states 10% of it's rated HP, on real world boating that's not so, would say 12 + % To have the best fuel comsumption you should run 1/2 to 3/4 throtttle to maintain a perfect plane. Only use full grip if in need to plane faster or bit loaded, other than that, generally run 1/2-3/4 grip as have found out that it's useless arriving to a destination faster burning more fuel along, as opposed to enjoying the trip, the view, being in contact with mother nature and wildlife.-

Happy Boating

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Good point.... I thought I was burning gas way too fast. But yeah, after planing I don't really go any faster at full grip.... I burn half to 3/4 of my 3 gal tank in about 3 hours on the lake.... Running full grip 90% of the time