Marine radio recommendations?

brook011

Seaman Apprentice
Title says it, I'd like to have something onboard to keep me alerted of anything weather related and listen to the local channels. What do you guys use? Thanks!

Ryan

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You need to get a radio that has DSC. In addition it should have GPS and the ability to use AA or AAA batteries It should also be Waterproof (JIX8/IPX8) I have a Uniden MHS 135DSC radio It has been upgraded to the MHS235 DSC radio The only difference is the 135 has one receiver and the 235 has 2 receivers. I got the radio because the Coast Guard told me to get a DSC radio. The reasons it is so much better than my previous radio are 1. It actually floats. I know because I dropped it in the Chesapeake Bay and the boat went right over it and it popped up to the surface still working. 2. It is a DSC radio ( think of it as OnStar or LowJack). 3. You can monitor up to 3 channels at one time. This is my favorite feature. On my last outing I was able to have a constant conversation with Sinistre and get the continuous weather updates at the same time, and hear any distress calls. 4. The radio has GPS. (I put all my launch sites in it) 5. The radio has the Coast Guard required distress button. 6. The radio came with the battery adapter(the ability to use regular batteries is huge) If your boat see's the Ocean or the larger Bays with heavy ship traffic you need a DSC radio

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if you have money go for a good one ! i have the cheapest cobra off ebay under $50, it's small, it takes reg AAA batterries so i can carry the spare, it's splash proof but i don't trust it so i have a silicone case type thing that i have wrapped around it so it can handle a drop in water when not in use, stil have to take it out i think to use it.. it's only 3 watt but where i go the coast guard can here me as i tested it a few times..

mrdrh99

if you have money go for a good one ! i have the cheapest cobra off ebay under $50, it's small, it takes reg AAA batterries so i can carry the spare, it's splash proof but i don't trust it so i have a silicone case type thing that i have wrapped around it so it can handle a drop in water when not in use, stil have to take it out i think to use it.. it's only 3 watt but where i go the coast guard can here me as i tested it a few times..
Hey... As far as functionality... What do you think of that cobra? I'm thinking of getting to use inshore north Carolina

ronaldj

Hey... As far as functionality... What do you think of that cobra? I'm thinking of getting to use inshore north Carolina
I replaced a cobra with the Uniden. I will never buy another Cobra product again. It was the HH350 The radio is not as waterproof as they claim. It is ipv7 and not ipv8 That's a huge difference because the radio is going to get wet Not only that but the warranty is useless

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
For proper DSC operation you need a IMSI number (works like a phone number). For the distress function of a DSC radio to work you also need a GPS input to the radio or a radio with GPS built in. For a open boat like your signature implies you probably want a hand held unit. Get one that is waterproof and floats. Some also light up if they are immersed to aid finding them if dropped overboard.

Something like 90% of people who have DSC radios never get the IMSI number to properly do the DSC. This is in part because you have to register it with somebody and once you program an IMSI number once, it cannot be changed unless the radio is sent for servicing. Programming an IMSI reduces the resale value of the radio quite a bit.

Last edited:

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Small correction: it's the MMSI number and not IMSI. Very easy to get online from BoatUS. Fill out the form and you have your unique number. Once programmed it can only be reset in the factory. There are very few handheld radios with DSC on the market but they are worth it in case of an emergency.
Resale shouldn't be impacted as it is easy to transfer the number from the BoatUS site to someone else. Change the username and password and give the username and password to the buyer. Bang: it's their number now with all their info.They buy a radio with DSC because they want DSC so nothing is lost. If they don't know what DSC is they won't pay for it anyhow.
http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/default.asp

One word of caution: if you take your radio onto a different boat for a longer trip change the info you registered! They may search for the wrong boat in case you use the emergency button...

Icom IC-M92D, (IC-M91D Europe)
Standard Horizon HX85, HX471S
LOWRANCE LHR-80
Uniden MHS235
to name a few (if not all)

Last edited:

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, MMSI.

The BoatUS MMSI number is free but is only good for the US. If you travel in other waters (which maybe you don't) you need to get a proper MMSI number from the FCC. This costs US$160.

More than you might want to know about MMSI.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtMmsi