Struggling to decide on the right boat

zone_ser

Recruit
TL;DR: family of 4, 2 little kids, looking for inflatable boat to enjoy sunny days on lakes or going down a river in class 1 (or less) rapids. Trying to decide if Mariner 4 is a good match or whether to look at another brand or type of boat (plastic canoe, kayak).
Hi Everyone!
I've been reading this forum for the last week or so and decided to... get my feet wet.
I'm trying to decide on what type of boat would best fit my needs. My wife and I have 2 little ones (1.5yrs and 3yrs). We live in CA and we would most likely use the boat on lakes (such as Lake Alpine and Pinecrest Lake) or in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, since it's close by AND, if possible, go down the Sacramento or Russian River in maybe class 1 rapids.
I'm on a tight budget... up $500 preferably and I'd like to buy something that would be easy to transport/assemble when needed. A couple of our friends went with a canoe (Mad River Canoe) while others picked a kayak, both made of plastic. I thought long and hard about the same boats but I don't think they fit my requirements. I'd have to buy a mounting rack for the car and I don't believe I can handle the boat alone if I were to go out just with my son. Besides there's no chance to fit a family of 4 on the kayak... the canoe might work but when we tried it it felt somewhat unstable (I realize it won't flip over easily and finding the balance is something normal but still, my wife would be... concerned at each bump).
So, from what I've read so far I think my best option is an Intex Mariner 4. Seems big enough for the four of us, if we need to all get in the boat, sturdy enough for the activities we have in mind and looks like I can throw a small trolling motor on it as well.
Should I be looking at anything else?
Thank you!

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I thing you have a problem $500 is not enough to do what you want to do. While the mariner 4 may work on the lake. There is no way you should take it near white water Also Don't count on anybody rowing but you Your wife will have her hands full with 2 toddlers A canoe may be a better option for you or a small Jon boat or dighy The problem you have is the fact that you are bringing 2 toddlers with you You may even have to keep the 1 1/2 year old in a car seat

zone_ser

Recruit
Sorry about the confusion. I don't really plan on taking a 1 1/2 year old white water rafting :). But I'd hope the boat would last us 4-5 years if not more (considering it would be used just a few times / year). Either way, not being able to go down a gentle river is still not a deal breaker.

We rented a small aluminum dinghy boat this past weekend at Pinecrest and both kids had a blast in it and there were certainly no car seats involved. Based on that experience I would also disagree with the paddling comment. This is how I imagine 90% of time spent on this boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-cwJ-_emxs

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had a Mariner 4 for a year now and am very happy with it. Prior to that I had the Sevylor HF360. For each I built a solid wood floor and installed 2 raised swivel seats, with a work station for fishing. I've traded in my Minn Kota 30 for a 55 and don't have a second's regret on the whole package.

The 3 cushions that come with the boat are very comfortable on the 'bottom', but I found you tended to sit low, which was hard on the legs (bend/stretch) and lower back. The hard floor that comes with it is actually a series of very solid plastic 'boards', that each fit into a sleeve, on a sheet that is shaped like the floor space, allowing you to stand, but permitting a kind of rolling, heel to toe, bow to stern. I've provided some photos and commentary on here in a thread about modifying the M4, and would be happy to provide any additional information. Mrdrh88 is another person who frequents this forum with much experience with the M4.

Be aware that the maximum capacity for the M4 is 800 lbs, including battery, motor, gear and humans.

G

I like the marine 4. I believe 4 people in a mariner will get tight. Remember that was a two minute video. You will be on the water a longer then two minutes. Look closely how everyone had there legs crunched up under them. Get your self a used inflatable boat. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/4495940886.html You can find them all over craigslist for 5-600 bucks sometimes even with the engines.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'll add a bit of experience here. Over Easter weekend I had my family of 4 on the mariner. My wife, a 10 y/o, a 16 month old, and myself. With only the battery in the boat other than us, it was pretty tight. The boat handled well and the endura 30 was plenty for the small lake. I didn't have any mods on board. For just sitting and cruising it would be ok but don't expect much wiggle room

zone_ser

Recruit
Thanks for the great advice! I can't really tell that the Achillies or that Storm boat are larger than the Mariner.

I'm not looking to do any mods. How hard would you say it is to get ready/take apart the mariner or those two boats?

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I had a Sea Eagle 8ft boat that had two seats in it and it would work fine with three adults,a cooler and fishing gear. It was very stable. You could stand up in it with no problem and even have all three of us on one side and it wouldn't tip over. I did a lot of boating and traveled as far as I needed to for all day fishing. All I had on it was a trolling motor and never had a problem getting back home. It was a tough little boat. I never had a leak of any kind with it. I've only had Sea Eagle boats so I don't know about other brands but I'm sure other makes would work fine for you. Like others have said I would look on Graig's list to find a boat and put a $100 trolling motor on it. It sounds like that would work for you. Good luck!

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks,yeah personally I would rather have an aluminum floor but if what I have holds up then I will be fine with it.

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i would think for your budget you could get a much better second hand boat. I am no expert but i so far i have paid less than $500 for a (new retail) $3500 boat that was like new except needed a couple of patches. I figure a new boat might need a couple of patches after one mistake anyways. It seem to me that once someone grows out of an inflatable and it happens to have even one small leak and they are not motivated to patch it the price comes down to rock bottom. Just make sure to blow it up once and if possible maybe do the soap and water paint on thing to look for leaks, check ever inch of the seams and do a little research about the brand and how they hold up. I don't think i would buy a used no-name made in china pvc boat unless it was at a price that i was willing to throw away.

One thing is for sure, any boat is much better than no boat limbo.