Adding a scotty rod holder glue on pad

gotmehooked

Seaman
I've read different suggestions for gluing on accessories to inflatables, leave the boat inflated, deflate it, not sure which is best. Looked at a lot of videos to. Last night I glued on my scotty rod holder pad to my boat using the one tube of glue saturn sent me. I sanded the boat where the pad was to go with 180 grit sandpaper to remove the sheen, and did the same to the underside of the pad. I used a 1 inch brush and cut the bristles short to make it stiff. Some of the bristles came off during the application process. I wiped down each surface 3 times with MEK and 5 minutes between, then applied 3 coats of the glue to each surface with 5 minutes in between. I hope it sticks as I don't think I had enough glue and should have waited to order more. So, my question is, do you guys inflate or deflate the boat for hard based accessories and which glue and type of brushes have you found work the best. Any other tips would be useful for future jobs. Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding a scotty rod holder glue on pad

When you glue accesories on tubes could be defleted as long accesory being glued is paralell and even against hard surface or floor, will need a metal roller, a big spoon used backwards to flatten air pockets that could form between tube and accesory. My persobal choice is well inflated. Clean glue spills inmediately with Mek, Acetone or spills will turn yelowish with sun in very short time.

It's not a matter of how much glue you apply, it's a matter of applying enough including dry time intervals between coats. 2 part glue is much better than emergency kit glue, it's same but with some drops of hardened added while mixing. Will hold and last longer.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding a scotty rod holder glue on pad

If you use the clamp on rod holders then those worries go away