hauling SIB in the back of a truck

gotmehooked

Seaman
What do you guys think of hauling my SIB like this. It's 12 feet long and the keel wouldn't be inflated or anything in the boat until I got to the lake. Any suggestions to improve it? Any dangers?2014-04-13_14-22-01_436.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: hauling SIB in the back of a truck

Will it be a short or long haul ? You could add some protection to side tubes, a blanket, canvas whatever to avoid abrassions on bow, side rubstrakes & lower tubes. Secure a line from engine inner transom plate ear to rear truck window. You don't want that nice sib falling at speed from truck on a highway..

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What do you guys think of hauling my SIB like this. It's 12 feet long and the keel wouldn't be inflated or anything in the boat until I got to the lake. Any suggestions to improve it? Any dangers?View attachment 228500

The state police will not allow that on any interstate.
There is to much load extending from the rear of the truck and there is no red flag showing that it is an oversize or extended load.
Where are you planing to put the motor?
Why not just buy an electric air pump and inflate it after you get to the water

gotmehooked

Seaman

The state police will not allow that on any interstate.
There is to much load extending from the rear of the truck and there is no red flag showing that it is an oversize or extended load.
Where are you planing to put the motor?
Why not just buy an electric air pump and inflate it after you get to the water

I was just testing it out. I would put a flag on it, and I know people put boats in their trucks and wood that extends far out past what my boat does. If visibility is an issue with the police what do they say to people hauling furniture that blocks out the back window. With the tailgate down the boat has close to 8 feet to rest on. I have an electric air pump, just thought this might cut down on the time and work at the lake inflating it. The motor rides in the passenger seat with me and everything else in the back cab. I planned on attaching straps from the D-rings to my cargo management rail on my truck. This would be to go to lakes within a 45 min. drive. Any further I would deflate it. Not saying I'm gonna go this route, but it would be easier.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How wide is it, truck and boat in total? How much time does it take to inflate? Maybe you need a better blower-upper.

That is a ticket on 4 wheels the way it is. Better to make a pipe rack and sling it up on the rack and over the cab. You can tie it down easier, too. And the sib will not be outside of the truck footprint for protection.

gotmehooked

Seaman

The boat is 5'7" wide which is wider than the truck, which bed rail outside to bed rail outside is probably close to 5 feet. I have a strong pump, the high pressure one, I just though this might cut down on time. From un-bagging the boat to assembling the oars and blowing it up probably takes me a half hour. I assumed I might get pulled over just by the looks of it so this might not work.

ronaldj

By the time you unstrap the boat and get it down.
Your time will be the same.
It should only take you 15 minutes with the high pressure pump.
You should be putting the oars on while the boat is inflating
As well as the seat.
The only way it might take you 30 minutes is if you have a wood floor.

An air floor really cuts setup time down as long as you have the high pressure pump.

I started with a wood floor boat. Ordered it sight unseen.
When I got to the dealer and he showed me how to put the wood floor in
I walked over to the larger air floor boats and said SOLD

I figured that if I could get the air floor boat together faster than the dealer could get the. Wood floor together. The air floor was what I needed for quick assembly and disassembly.

Now if I had a trail or than I would have a 17 foot or so zodiac rib
One day. One day

gotmehooked

Seaman

I prob. Just need to become more efficient at inflating it. Do you guys roll your boats up with the floor in it, or keep it by itself. Also, are you wiping the boat down at the lake, or pumping it back up when you get home and cleaning it?Just trying to learn from the veteran sib owners on here. The pump really helps get more air out if it for deflation and getting it back in the bag.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Air flat air decks are removable, you could fold or roll them separately from sib. Too bulky to roll/fold along sib. What about going for a trailer ? That way will haul it nicely to lake and perfect for water rinse at home. If boating fresh water lakes, no need to rinse sib afterwards use, unless it's high?y poluted.

Happy Boating

ronaldj

An air floor you can roll up with the boat.
A wood or alumnium floor has to be taken out and should be placed in a separate bag for ease of transport.
The goal is to make your bags as lite as possible so they will be easy to move.
Same for the engine.
A 9.9 hp 4 stroke is about as much as you can carry around without help.
You also want to invest in a Handtruck.
That will help you get the boat and or the motor from your residence to your car or truck.
In a pinch the hand truck can be used as a boat dolly
Keep your cooler under 60 quarts as that is more weight to deal with
Keep your gas tank at right around 6 gallons unless you want to pay the outrageous prices at the marina for gas.
If running propane use a composite tank ( 1/3 the weight of steel)
If using electric try and keep the battery under 50pounds
You should also look at a Bimini top with sol or panels added to keep the batteries charged.
If you need a 12 volt source for your electronics and electric pump. Get a car jumper box.
It's light weight and does not stress your car battery.

I tend to wash my boat out at home.
That gives me a chance to really inspect it and add more UV coating if necessary

You want to practice putting your boat together the way you want to use it so you can see if there are any setup issues, so you can correct them before you go out.

Just a few tricks

Last edited:

gotmehooked

Seaman

I have a 9.9 johnson 2 stroke, 75 pounds I believe and a 3 gallon gas tank. I can handle the motor without a dolly. I need to buy the launch wheels so I can just load everything in and wheel down to the water. I try to keep things as light as possible. Anybody use the wheels or have any negatives to say about them?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

I haul my SIB in the bed of my short bed Ram 2500, though my boat is only 10 feet long, and probably not as wide. It's a wood floor model. It will sit flat on the bed floor as long as it is partially deflated (the wheel wells are in the way if it is fully inflated).

The boat gets loaded first, then the motor and gear. Then I chain it (loop on the motor plate), and tie a rope on it. Works great for me. The motor is probalby the difficult piece to handle since it is 72 lbs, it's a 86 Johnson 9.9.

Last edited: